LivinginKata

-----------------------------

GungaDin said:

Ahhh..... the foot shooting season is still open, I see. :D

muahahahaha, great comment.

Paddleshifter said:

You will not find a single tourist on this planet who will consider coming here or not because of the 25 euro visa fee being waived.

Let them do it.. let the consulates go.. let the tourism drop even further..

Ive lost confidence in this country years ago. Looking at this place from different angles and I dont see the thais deserve so much to have a great number of tourists.

If I wouldn't be married, got a kid and a business - I'd be somewhere else right now. The time where I got lulled in by the smiles is long over. What Thailand needs it people with brains - not people with connections, that run this country and it's foreign affairs.

robint said:

OMG

the simians are even shooting their own goodwill ambassadors

The message is clear, go away flang, but leave your money behind

IMHO los is looking north to their ancestors, and hooking up with them for their future :)

Agreed. It is a fact that they'd prefer us to just mail them the money and stay out of the home of the prime Asian race.

jbhh says:

why the hel_l can't I quote and comment to all the posts I think are nice to comment on?!

p.s. I was just about to edit my post and take out the business as being a reason for me not leaving Thailand, but the fact is, right now I couldn't even sell my business if I wanted to as no one will invest money in Thailand to buy it, apart from that it isn't really doing that good either... growth... yeah right, happy I'm not losing any money.

Edited by jbhh

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU GET 30 DAYS ON ARRIVAL - FREE. (thru the airport that is, not land border crossing).

Most holidaying tourists are here for only 2 or 3 weeks usually (maybe 4) as they have to get back to work, so dont need to buy a visa in any case.

so will this make a difference to tourist arrivals?? NO!!

everyones skint, no money for holidays. half price airfares may do the trick, but even then many people are saving money as uncirtain times ahead.

IMHO hull is the best consulate by far, im sure they will be ok as their service is second to none.

see their website, so much info to download about thailand and all the forms you need for any visa.

fantastic.

then see liverpool/cardiff/birmingham/glasgow/londons websites - hardly any info at all, no info about how to apply for visas, no forms - so less business for them.

maybe they should/will have to take a leaf out of hulls book, good. otherwise TSB i say... (thats; Tough Sh!t Baby) LOL :)

I was under the impression that embassies were for Thai people not only for getting visa's tp farang.

They are talking about Honorary Consulates which is not the same as an Embassy, but yes you are right in that Thai people use the Consulates for renewing passports etc.

Edited by garyh

OMG. Who is surprised that the government failed to reimburse for the lost visa fees?

Surely the Thai government will come through with money aid to make up for the loss of revenue. In this case they really don't have a choice...or are they just going to shoot themselves in the foot as they usually do?

What next ? They will give candy at the immigration :)

Free spending money ? :D

Free !!! such a word do not even exist in the thai language :D

Actually it does. You see it everywhere written on adverts - it looks like a 'WS' and is always writ large because it gets a Thai's attention toute suite. However, getting the 'free' thing is something else. The word is there, but it is often meaningless.

Do you really believe that people will come only in thailand because they can have a free visa ?

what is the financial impact of such a measure for the holiday budget :D

Actually yes they will, since one visa is for a 1000 Baht for many this means an extra night of accomodation, hence a family of four will get for extra nights or extra shopping money

For people on holidays of less than a month it won't make any difference as they can already have a free1 month tourist entry. So a 1000 baht spread over 30 to 60 days make very little difference to the daily budget.

Do you really believe that people will come only in thailand because they can have a free visa ?

Well in my experience free candy is already implemented at the immigration stands and has been for a number of years now. I have encountered Foxes Glasier Mints available at Bangkok airport whilst transitioning through to the domestic terminals and also at Chiang Mai I have sampled Menthos and another unidentified name that was rather sticky on the teeth. Its always a pleasure to start the holiday with a free candy although I must admit that I did push the boat out, risking life and limb, by taking two sweets during my last visit.

AND WITH A SMILE, NOW THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING

Just goes to show you how naive I was. I automatically thought that revenues collected by Honorary Consulates went into the Thai coffers and the Consulates were paid by contract depending on their size.

Does it make sense to do it that way?

Edited by bdenner

Actually yes they will, since one visa is for a 1000 Baht for many this means an extra night of accomodation, hence a family of four will get for extra nights or extra shopping money

The majority of tourists entering Thailand use the already free visa on arrival since this majority stay less than one month. Furthermore, these people who stay less than one month are the ones who impact and add to the Thai tourist economy the most through stayin in expensive hotels, visiting restaurants, buying souveniers, etc.. Most of the people who visit Thailand for more than one month are backpacker types who are on a very tight budget and don't really add to the Thai tourist income economy. Cases of a "family of four" staying in Thailand for over one month are rare and definitely the minority.

YOU GET 30 DAYS ON ARRIVAL - FREE. (thru the airport that is, not land border crossing).

Most holidaying tourists are here for only 2 or 3 weeks usually (maybe 4) as they have to get back to work, so dont need to buy a visa in any case.

everyones skint, no money for holidays. half price airfares may do the trick, but even then many people are saving money as uncirtain times ahead.

IMHO hull is the best consulate by far, im sure they will be ok as their service is second to none.

see their website, so much info to download about thailand and all the forms you need for any visa.

fantastic.

then see liverpool/cardiff/birmingham/glasgow/londons websites - hardly any info at all, no info about how to apply for visas, no forms - so less business for them.

maybe they should/will have to take a leaf out of hulls book, good. otherwise TSB i say... (thats; Tough Sh!t Baby) LOL :)

Hull may have more info on the site but you can't say that they are the best and most helpful consulate, I was dealing with Birmingham for years before I knew how to turn a PC on, it's just a matter of a TWO Minute phone call and you can get all you need by POST making it a lot cheaper than applying in person, it takes only THREE days to get the visa.

Personally I hope they don't close because I rely on the consulate office in Melbourne. If I had to apply to the Thai embassy in Canberra for 1yr multiple entry it would take approximately 3 weeks to get it. I travel in and out of Thailand from Chiangmai to Melbourne every 3 weeks generally just spending 48 hrs in Melbourne.

Just goes to show you how naive I was. I automatically thought that revenues collected by Honorary Consulates went into the Thai coffers and the Consulates were paid by contract depending on their size.

Does it make sense to do it that way?

I am with you I thought exactly the same. All the staff in the Melbourne consulate office are thai.

Edited by marsteele

fantastic.

Hull may have more info on the site but you can't say that they are the best and most helpful consulate, I was dealing with Birmingham for years before I knew how to turn a PC on, it's just a matter of a TWO Minute phone call and you can get all you need by POST making it a lot cheaper than applying in person, it takes only THREE days to get the visa.

Maybe it was wrong to state that Hull was the best, but that is his opinion, and out of interest Hull also do everything by POST too !! Just another string to their bow. :D

Hi Guys...

this is BS !%$***&%...

I have been using Hull Consulate for years now, and as I don't 'live' in BKK anymore I am fine with a Non IM visa, and have only good things to say about the guys at Hull (Alan and his team- really good friendly service and nice people). If this move is going to damage their business permanently, then it is going to also damage OUR ease of travel, and as many of you have said, it only illustrates the Thai Government's attitude (or lack of it) to their 'guests'.

It really sucks... I know a lot of you feel the same, it's just too bad. Thank God I don't live there anymore, it seems that the only thing they are doign well is shooting themselves in the foot.........

My GF for one is just waiting to leave the country put the current 'climate' behind her... Unfortunately there isn't much I can suggest. Anyhow, we have come to expect this kind of thing haven't we, so what the hel_l, life goes on... have fun and Enjoy....

things could be worse....

Solution or Idea!!!!

It would seem that the issue is that folks are not going to Thailand not beacause of a 10.00 Visa Fee I have a problem as to staying in the country and getting ripped off by all of the farang prices and the Thai pricing that goes on, the corruption (which I now undersand is really a paycheck)Not a bad idea, Get caught, pay, No muss no fuss! But for all of us that are used to that and have found Thai friends to assist us in that matter it might be a good idea to offer 60 or 90 day visas rather than the 30 day visa!!! Charge a bit more for it (which supports the offsites) AND keep the money in the country for a while. The longer we are there the more we spend. I know folks that go through 100,000 (baht) or more per week (OR FASTER). Might be a good idea to try to stimulate the economy and the jobs by keeping the people with the money in the country. Eliminate the hoops and the inconsitancies that are prevelant. Would also help the Thailand expats already in country to want to stay because from the comments I see on this site and a few minor exeriences that I have been introduced too, it is a nightmare of inconsistancies to stay in the Kingdom. The only thing consistant is the incosistancy!!!!!!

The bottom line is when the money leaves, Good Luck!!!! So the term, "Follow the money" is the true thing that repairs all.

From a humble naive (I hate politics) member that Loves "The Kingdom" and it's people (most of them)!!! :)

The story isnt really about the Thai Government thinking about closing honorary consulates.

It's just typical of the Thai mentality of not thinking things through, considering the consequences and informing all parties.

The Thai people have some fantastic ideas in my opinion, but seem to lack the know-how in implementing them.

As stated, visas affect only a miniscule proportion of tourists who stay for less than 30 days. In fact, I guess most tourists don't even know you need a visa for 30+ days if you have a decent passport. They should change it to 90 days.

The Hull consulate is great but needs to be so honoured as the system is such a joke and so many people have to run around in circles when all they want to do is spend money in the country.

This seems like something that was supposed to be a quick fix to get the tourist numbers back up and hasn't been properly thought through. The reimbursement idea seems to be a spur of the moment response occuring to someone at the moment of being questioned about how the change will affect consulates.

If the Thai government are losing money because there is a lack of tourists, where are they going to get the money to reimburse the consulates? From the huge amounts of tourists coming to Thailand on free visas? The tourists aren't coming because of the credit crunch (amongst other things: Civil unrest, tax on beer, H1N1 etc, etc).

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edited by meadish_sweetball
Removed quote of original post.

It seems that there is some resentment that the Honorary Consulates actually provide longer term Thai visas in a pleasant atmosphere with a minimum of red tape and horseshite and often on the same day. This looks like payback for not doing things the Thai way. :)

WHAT? :D A family of 4 an extra night? 4000 Baht=1 night at the noodle shop on Kaosan road?

:D

Edited by meelousee

Free visa plan backfires on Thai honorary consulates

“This is a very sad blow to all honorary consulates,” the spokesperson said. spacer.gif

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-06-25

and hasn't been properly thought through.

And just when has ANY immigration/visa regulation been "properly thought through" :)

Cant wait to see how they overreact again

Edited by meelousee

Friendly is "relative" There's nothing friendly about our local consulate.

That is a bad news, many of us depend on a friendly Thai consulate for a visa.

A trip to the embassy with rude staff is not going to be the same.

My local consulate is just down the street about 2 blocks from me but

In my case it would actually serve me better if they went away since then the DC embassy would then have jurisdiction over my application and they have indicated before that they would be happy to issue me a Non Immigration Multi Type O visa which my local consulate will never do. So I say to hel_l with my local consulate and the arrogant people who work there.

I use the (Hull) Multi O non immigrant each year, and I've always been very happy with their great service and don't wish to seem them go away. If I could lose the 90 day reporting then I'd be ecstatic. Single entry freebies make no difference to me personally, and I'm not sure what difference it makes to the market sector they're interested in. Seems to be between stools to me. Maybe if they gave me a Buddha keyring it would change everything(?) I think that was the last tourist encouragement they gave. Haven't seen one yet so maybe it's just rumour.

Really, any farang at all that you can ask, could answer all their questions. They're calling it Swine flue to save face and make it look like it's not their decisions influencing anything, and to farang who stay here regularly and can see, nothing on MainStreamMedia would change anything, but if they want to see what it looks like from the outside, it's 1) Global downturn, 2) Perceived political instability/stroke/airport protests causing delays (and compensation that they offer that they refuse to actually pay), 3) Tsunami potential. Swine flu? Nah... It's global rather than Thai, and version 1.0 is nothing anyway, maybe the next wave will be more virulent, but we have to wait a few months to see that.

Apologies for the run-on sentences, but it's how I'd say it if I was talking.

Best all...

Yes.

For example, I paid 1,400 Baht all in BKK-SIN-BKK on AirAsia for this October. This is less than half the visa fee for many countries. Multipy by a family of 5, now you you see why I don't go to countries that needs a visa.