Bus To Penang

chuang

Hi there, is there a bus terminal in Hatyai where I can a express bus to Penang...thanks

Yes of course there is a bus terminal. If you departure from Bkk , I advise you to take a public bus at the southern terminal bus station, public buses are more confortable and quick, the trip takes not more than 12 hours. If you take the tourist bus from kaosarn , they will drop you at surathani and then take you by a small pick-up to a garage where you have to wait for the van to tak you to hattyai and the trip will take you around 15 hours but cheaper.

the vans bus start departure from hattyai at 9 0'clock morning to penang but surely you will have to wait till around 10 o'clock as the van picks up travellers in other agancies around the city, the trip take around 4 hours including the immigration stop.The ticket price was last year 600 baht. there is many ticket agencies opposit of the bus terminal , try to ask many and make sure to get the best price as they are not that fair in there.

I hope I was enough clear and helpful, and wish you a nice trip

Try to get to Hat Yai in early morning because passenger van to penang will leave about 9 - 10 am.

Beside taking van at the bus terminal, it is also availble in Hat Yai downtown.

It takes only 4 hrs from Hat Yai to Penang.

I took Chao Vang Travel last time. Office no# 074-234-724 on Lamaisongkraw Rd. downtown Hat yai.

Don't remember the ticket price though.

• 2 weeks later...
You can also take the train to Butterworth on the mainland.

Easy trip to penang from there.

Yes, the train costs a liile more but is way, way ahead on comfort safety and convenience. There is another train that Leaves Hat Yai in the late afternoon to K.L. via Butterworth.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The tour agency under Cathay Guesthouse, on Niphat Uthit 2 Road, near to the train station, has minibuses to Penang (4 hours) leaving: 9:30am 12:30pm 3:30pm 4:30pm

Cost is 280 baht. See the second map on this page (cathay guesthouse is number 3 on the list of hotels)

www.thailand-travel-help.com/hotels-in-hat-yai.html

To see transport options, go to this page:

www.thailand-travel-help.com/hatyai.html

Have a good time - if you haven't been to Penang....the food's great and the island has a relaxed feel....