Chain Link Fence

ronthompson

post-40839-1246079704_thumb.jpgpost-40839-1246079959_thumb.jpgpost-47-1094318314.jpgpost-40839-1246080080_thumb.jpg

I wanted to start a new garden and discovered the cost of a cement fence was close to 200,000 i decided to go with a American type chain link fence. My brother in law did the work and I was able to find the necessary supplies. I could not obtain the proper connectors but that problem was resolved with welding.

The end result was very affordable, good loohing and the ventilation is much better if u are in the Buriram area and in need of a good fence consider chain link!

post-40839-1246079704_thumb.jpgpost-40839-1246079959_thumb.jpgpost-47-1094318314.jpgpost-40839-1246080080_thumb.jpg

post-40839-1246080008_thumb.jpg

No offence mate but it does not look good. Chainlink never does. Maybe you could get some plants that would grow on it? Is that your neighbours house in the background? He might have something to say as well.

Cheap and practical no doubt, especially if you breed dogs.

No offence mate but it does not look good. Chainlink never does. Maybe you could get some plants that would grow on it? Is that your neighbours house in the background? He might have something to say as well.

Cheap and practical no doubt, especially if you breed dogs.

To each his own, for my purpose it is right, the house u noticed is my sister in law, she likes it.

Ron,

it looks good. :)

What was the total cost & do you have a pic of the missing part you needed to avoid the welding?

Plant some passionfruit vines along the fence and some coral red & turquoise jade vines, they'll cover it up in no time.

(if you need to cover it)

cheers. :D

gd

How much does it cost ? I was looking for something similar for my dogs but unfortunately didn't really have time lately to make any serious research. Some of our neighbours say we can by it very cheap second hand but if new is cheap, why bother ?

For people concerned with esthetics, as GungaDin says, just grow some vines and it will be ok.

In America the poles are placed then the chainlink or fabric is pull tight and a fitting is used to attach the fabric to the poles. The fittings are a clamp like thing that attaches the pole and fabric.

Drive by and look at the Buriram Mackro i followed their fence design with a few modifications, My brother in law is a metal fabricator by trade so the welding was easy to do and will out last me.

Cost was 39,000 for the supplies from Hi Q in Surin. The size 25 M X25M X 25M the fouth side opes to my present garden.

Plans are to build a large Koi Pond, with many different planting areas.

I do not like village chickens on my property and village dogs tend to fight. I believe the fence will allow ventilation on the hot evenings.

If u are in the Huairat area and would like to take a look just PM me. :)

200,000 - 39.000 = a smart man. :D

also environmentaly much smarter than wall : as mentionned will keep the place ventiolated, but will also allow water to flow freely, and fauna to move as it likes.

not mentionning the much better landscaping look, and th epossibility to plant

:)

@Gungadin : where do you find passion fruits ? buy or ask neighbors ?

Hi Sunsamourai

Take a 6x4 photo of what you want to any good plant market & show it to the vendors, eventually someone will direct you to a pfruit vendor.

I brought mine from Aus , & I bought my seeds from a bloke in Cairns via Ebay.

He still advertises.

See Ebay.au

Fruit is giant size. :)

Looks ok I think.

I made a concrete wall around my land (still yet to see the finished product).

Now I have another piece of land with my house on but with no fence.

Its got me thinking.

It will look a lot nicer when you have your grass down and other things.

Looks ok I think.

I made a concrete wall around my land (still yet to see the finished product).

Now I have another piece of land with my house on but with no fence.

Its got me thinking.

It will look a lot nicer when you have your grass down and other things.

You are right with out planting etc it does not look good, a Patio is being completed today, the gazebo should up tomorrow and grass is on order.

only hold up is my Koi pond! :)

• 1 year later...

My American style chain link fence:

Fencing (1.2m x 140m) + 50 steel poles + sundry supplies (including grey rustproofing paint) all from Global House = THB 46,000

Labor = THB 36,000

Rather than put a steel bar across the top, I secured the top of the fence with essentially a thick wire (i.e. almost as thick as the steel used to tie rebar) and twisted the tips of the top of the fence upwards for a barbed wire effect. This way, the fence is firm, but allowed to sway a bit if someone tries to climb it - pricking them in the process. The fence "holes" are 1.5" - too small to stick a foot in to climb it, so that also helps. I have thick bushes on the outsides of the fence which I will keep about 20cm shorter than the top. When they finally grow to that height, I plan to weave a bit of barbed wire amongst the top so as to make it effective, but not visible.

This gives me about 1m buffer zone for any would-be climbers (if ya can't approach it - ya can't climb it) and also beautifies it a bit more ala American suburban home style. The back of my home faces the village road (have my own private road in the front) and my perimeter along the road is established by a barbed wire spaced 20 cm apart to a height of 140 cm to discourage cows and roaming folks. So, from the village road, I've got the barbed wire, a 1 meter gap, the bushes, and then the chain link fence. Looks fantabulous while my foreign neighbor on the opposite side of the road is surrounded by his 2.5m concrete prison walls.

A burglar would likely choose him over me because he could easily scale the prison wall and remain unseen as he breaks in whereas any passerby would surely see him trying to break into my home.

For additional security at night, I've got perimeter lighting along the fence and motion detector flood lights set to activate at the fence distance. My area is very safe, but the extra precautions allow me to sleep very well at night and not worry if I have to be away from the wife and kids for a bit.

Hopefully, these ideas can help someone else. Well worth it vs the prison walls IMHO.

:)

P.S.

Was quoted 120k-170k, but went with a sort of broker who connects homeowners who buy their own materials with proven contractors. They do OUTSTANDING work at a fair price. Labor pricing includes broker's commission. I used the same broker for my steel framing, roofing, electrical, and doors when I built the place using a contractor I found on my own and family. If I build again, I will use the broker for the whole shebang as their work was the only work done properly without any do-overs.

Edited by SNGLIFE