Gprs/edge Interference With Mosquito Net

phazey

As topic really, I normally get so so connection from home, happy with it, but with an awful lot of patience. I'm currently sat in the local tesco food court, and it's ziping along, 30KB/s right now. It's the first time i've been able to stream the sling player over my mobile, which is what got me thinking..

So, is my wire mossie netting (1mm mesh) slowing things down?

Cheers

It's quite likely that your signal is being somewhat blocked. Open the netting and position the antenna between the window and the netting and see if your signal improves.

But first you could just head out to the balcony or yard (whichever you have) and do a "beta" test.

In low signal areas it always helps not to be behind walls, windows, mosquito nets, trees etc.

Do you know where the GSM cell tower is? Try getting a line-of-sight to the tower if possible (eg. a direct free air imaginary "line" between your device and the tower).

If you do have a very poor signal, you could also build your own antenna http://bigredball.blogsome.com/2006/07/29/...-was-no-signal/

We had a control room at the base of our ant. pumping out 625kw.  The room was lined with wire mesh to keep the signal out of the control gear.  i.e. the screen room it was called.  Yes they work really well if grounded. :)