O-a Visa(retirement) A Breeze!..but

Harpman88,

Not yet and I am a little bit confused now.

The embassy esspecially warned me to apply for extension 1 month before issuing date + one year.(14 October 2005). My entry stamp is on 30 December 2004 and + one year.

During this year I surely will be able to visit immigration in BKK and simply ask them.

If I am planning to leave the Kingdom on a trip,I also will get information before my departure.( I don't take any risk).

Whichever occur first,I will surely share my experience with the board members.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more,Dutch.

Preparation/self investigation are indeed the most important factors.

I would also say one should pay particular attention to what the consul/embassy one is ACTUALLY DEALING WITH is telling you.

What may be happening with others elsewhere(applying for the same visa) may have nothing to do with with your specific situation.In other words,tune out everything else and follow to the letter what you,specifically,are being instructed to do....

Anyway,Dutch,just out of curiosity,have you picked up any info. along the way as to how long you will be admitted for if/when you decide to leave and return to Thailand sometime before your initial year is up??

Just remember one thing - once you are here in Thailand you are subject to the rules as interpreted by the Immigration Bureau - not what any Consulate or Embassy may have said. The best thing is to talk with the actual people that you need to process with. Second best would be listen to those who have recently processed using those people. But always remember that slight variations in situations can swing decisions and as is said you need to be prepared to bend like bamboo if you intend to keep the stress level under control.

But always remember that slight variations in situations can swing decisions and as is said you need to be prepared to bend like bamboo if you intend to keep the stress level under control.

Once again, the diplomat at work with some sound and essential advice. Best be mindful of the situation, enjoy the moment(s) and do not let your anger and/or frustation come to the surface, if indeed they develop. You won't get anywhere by blowing up or causing someone to lose face.

But always remember that slight variations in situations can swing decisions and as is said you need to be prepared to bend like bamboo if you intend to keep the stress level under control.

Once again, the diplomat at work with some sound and essential advice. Best be mindful of the situation, enjoy the moment(s) and do not let your anger and/or frustation come to the surface, if indeed they develop. You won't get anywhere by blowing up or causing someone to lose face.

So very, very true Mr Newman :o

I concur totally,Mike.Lop's last post is indeed sage advice....This situation is really divided into 2 parts,what the consul/embassy needs pre-visa,and what the Thai Imm. authorities in Thailand will require once the visa holder enters LOS and from that point onward.

My O-A Visa was issued 14 Oct. 2003, "good for multiple journey (s)"  cost was US$125.

Entered Thailand 25 Oct. 2003 and Admitted Until 24 Oct. 2004.

Went to Cambodia 5 Feb. 2004 and returned 17 Feb. 2004.  Admitted Until

17 Feb. 2005.

Went to Singapore 23 Sept. 2004 and returned 26 Sept. 2004.  Admitted

Until 25 Sept. 2005.

I've never had a re-entry permit.

-redwood

Indeed, I personnally know 3 American people who got Their O-A like this and get stamped for an other 365 days whern they re-enter the Kingdom.

I have no news yet from any of these 3 guys leaving en re-entering after their original visa was issued for more than one year. This still gives you 23 months until now. I also suppose you need to report your residence adress every 90 days?

It is strange several well informed people on this board always contest when someone make claims such as "I have a multiple entries O-A" and start shouting "it's illegal, it's wrong, you will get in trouble" etc

My own experience asking for a O-A long stay or retirement in my country of residence (France) was a refusal because I had a non-expired non-imm O multiple entries visa in my passport. I was told to apply for a retirement extension in Bangkok, where all the supporting and translated to Thai/notarised papers asked by Paris were declared useless.

I definitely would have preffered the O-A route.

Hi Jef, Those are indeed some very encouraging comments concerning the

re-entries. This confirms that there are,at least,SOME people out there in the same retirement OA situation whose experience has been the same as Redwood's.

And you're right, Ive gotten the impression as well that some didn't realize that certain OA's come with multiple entry privileges. Still,I must concur with the voices of experience here

and say that one must "keep their cool" (jai yen),maintain flexibilty and just generally "be ready for anything" at all times.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jef, Those are indeed some very encouraging comments concerning the

re-entries. This confirms that there are,at least,SOME people out there in the same retirement OA situation whose experience has been the same as Redwood's.

And you're right, Ive gotten the impression as well that some didn't realize that certain OA's come with multiple entry privileges. Still,I must concur with the voices of experience here

and say that one must "keep their cool" (jai yen),maintain flexibilty and just generally "be ready for anything" at all times.

I thought I would pass on my experience after having a 'Retirement Visa' for nearly one year. I'll also be applying for a visa extension this week and will report my experiences.

April 8 2004 - O-A retirement visa issued via the Thai consulate in Houston Texas. “Good for multiple journeys to Thailand. This visa must be utilized before April 7 2005.”

April 26 2004 - Arrived in Thailand; visa stamped admitted until 25 Apr 2005.

June 11 2004 – Departed Thailand enroute to Cambodia.

June 15 2004 – Arrived in Thailand from Cambodia, visa stamped admitted until June 14 2005.

Aug 29 2004 – Departed Thailand enroute to USA.

Sep 29 2004 - Arrived in Thailand from the USA, visa stamped admitted until Sep 28 2005

Oct 27 2004 – Departed Thailand enroute to Cambodia

Oct 31 2004 - Arrived in Thailand from Cambodia, visa stamped admitted until October 30 2005.

Dec 15 2004 - Departed Thailand enroute to USA.

Jan 20 2005 - Arrived in Thailand from the USA, visa stamped admitted until Jan 19 2006.

I you use the info from the ThaiVisa.com you'll have the things. For the guy whom only go 90 days....I payed more 125USD vs 50USD for a long stay thtg is dated on the visa stamp for 1 year. However I will be required to get a re-entry permit after arrival that allows for multiple re-entrys during the time of your visa. Don't forgety the reentry permit as a departure w/o one will nuke your visa. I also found it faster to "do it at home" as with no lines and the officer is a native speaker in your home speak.

Remember that the office in other countries need to be productive so thehy want to do business where as the civil servants in BKK have a job by the hour.

www.thiavisa.com http://www.thaivisa.com/ is accurate.

I'm also guilty of forgeting that info site as there are a grea number of questions about Thai Driver License in recent postings and every one is listed in the above link. Good Stuff!

I thought I would pass on my experience after having a 'Retirement Visa' for nearly one year.  I'll also be applying for a visa extension this week and will report my experiences.....

Very interesting and thanks for the details. I must say that I'm curious as to why you will be applying for an extension now, when the current stamp doesn't expire until Jan 2006. :o

Very interesting and thanks for the details. I must say that I'm curious as to why you will be applying for an extension now, when the current stamp doesn't expire until Jan 2006. :o

Very good question.RDN.. From the forum printouts Ive saved concerning this issue it seems to me that Shot should only lose the multiple entry benefits of the original visa come April 7,so then he will have to obtain a re-entry permit if he wishes to leave Thailand after that date,having to be back in Thailand to extend before next January's "admitted until" date..(if he indeed decides to leave at all after Apr. 7)

Amazing, simply amazing.

I've been reading information on "retirement" visas on this board and elsewhere for a year now and at least two things remain unclear:

- Do you, or do you not need a reentry permit?

- When, exactly, do you need to renew?

Obviously, "shot" didn't need a reentry permit, as his multiple re-entries without one shows.

But, if he's admitted until Jan 06, why does he need to renew now? I'm anxious to hear about his renewal experience....

Very good question.RDN.. From the forum printouts Ive saved concerning this issue it seems to me that Shot should only lose the multiple entry benefits of the original visa come April 7,so then he will have to obtain a re-entry permit if he wishes to leave Thailand after that date,having to be back in Thailand to extend before next January's "admitted until" date..(if he indeed decides to leave at all after Apr. 7)

That's precisely how I understand it, too :D

Amazing, simply amazing.

I've been reading information on "retirement" visas on this board and elsewhere for a year now and at least two things remain unclear:

- Do you, or do you not need a reentry permit?

- When, exactly, do you need to renew?

Obviously, "shot" didn't need a reentry permit, as his multiple re-entries without one shows.

But, if he's admitted until Jan 06, why does he need to renew now? I'm anxious to hear about his renewal experience....

We also would like to hear Shotover's thinking on this. But I think Harpman's analysis is correct:

1. if you don't have a multiple entry visa (I didn't) you must get a re-entry permit once you are in the country and before you leave (up to you whether it is single or multiple).

2. you can apply for a year's (or another year's) extension up to one month before the "admitted until" date stamped in your passport.

Hi again,all.Mike,the reason Shot's multi entry feature is still in effect is that the original VISA (not the most recent 'admitted until date',which is next January), wont expire till Apr.7. It will be only if he leaves after Apr.7 that the re-entry feature will have expired along with the original visa.

By the way,try going to:

thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?show topic=12251

Scroll down to redwood13 and his post dated June 24,2004,The last line reads: "I checked with immigration here in Pattaya and they tell me this is correct"

Then read the paragraph immediately preceding this,it clearly explains the issue of re-entry AFTER the expiration of the original visa.

However the question still does remain as to why Shot

wants to extend at this juncture.

I went to Thai Immigration at Suan Phlu today to inquire what action, if any, I needed to take before the original O-A visa expired on Apr 26 2005. It didn't seem logical that I could continually extend my reentry dates each time I reentered the country without having to pay additional fees and show continued financial proof. (Of course, TIT).

The official at Counter 2 on the Ground floor looked at my passport and told me I didn't have to return to Thai Immigration and apply for a visa renewal until January 2006, within one month before the last reentry date expires.

Always being skeptical of what one Thai official may tell me, I then went back to Room 102 and asked the official who works with non-business 'O' visas the same question, and she provided me the identical response. She added that I must formally report my address every 90 days to Thai Immigration.

I'm not sure what to expect for a reentry date whenever I leave Thailand and return after the expiration date of my original O-A visa.

I'm not sure what to expect for a reentry date whenever I leave Thailand and return after the expiration date of my original O-A visa.

It sounds as if those that go to the trouble to obtain the multi entry O-A are indeed in luck if they plan any travel outside of Thailand during the first year - wonder how long the bean counters will let this slide? :D

I would strongly advise getting a re-entry permit for any travel that will have you arriving after April 7 or I suspect you will be back at square one. But then again I would not have believed the one year can be almost two years of the O-A. :o

.....I'm not sure what to expect for a re-entry date whenever I leave Thailand and return after the expiration date of my original O-A visa.

OK, so I think we understand the workings of this multiple entry O-A :D . As for your last question, logic dictates ( :D:D:D ) that

1. if the next time you leave is after April 7th 2005, when you return you should get an "admitted until" stamp of Jan 19 2006, and the same stamp each time you leave and re-enter, provided of course you have a re-entry permit.

2. if you leave before April 7th 2005 and return before April 7th 2005, you may get a new "admitted until" stamp for one year, i.e your current "Jan 19 2006" should get replaced by a later date.

3. but, if you leave before April 7th 2005 and return after April 7th 2005, :D haven't a clue!

I would strongly advise getting a re-entry permit for any travel that will have you arriving after April 7 or I suspect you will be back at square one.  But then again I would not have believed the one year can be almost two years of the O-A. :o

I think this is my point 3. above - very unusual circumstances, and not worth taking a chance! Get a re-entry permit!

I would strongly advise getting a re-entry permit for any travel that will have you arriving after April 7 or I suspect you will be back at square one.  But then again I would not have believed the one year can be almost two years of the O-A. :o

I'll be leaving Thailand and returning prior to my original O-A visa expiration date of April 7 2005, and also returning to the USA in May 2005, so we'll see how they handle this. As suggested, I would be surprised if they extend the reentry dates past April 7 2006.

RDN:I agree totally as to your point#3 above,I would obtain a re-entry permit for ANY arrival after Apr.7,regardless of the departure date.(Again, the multi entry feature expires along with the original OA visa on Apr.7)

Shot,please do keep us posted as to any future developments......Maybe Suan Plu could offer some help prior to departure?

:o

George...You are a constant source of good info...Very good info and your point at to the VISA is TIT...

Well, I got mine at the office in Honolulu and paid for 1 year multi entry. I still have to get a reentry stamp at Thai Immi in Sathorn Multi Reentry for 3800 Baht. Now, just having called the Los Angles office I learned that there are three stories.A Honollulu Office, B LA office and C.Thai Immi site. Not to mention all the info here. Seems that I will get 1 year from the date of entry for every entry that occurs within the erpiry date of my Visa so long as I have a mulitple reentry permit. So it seems that I will keep getting a year stay with the condition that I check in every 90 days as per the instructions.

As I said, George has it right in saying TIT...

BTW, It really isn't alot of hoops to jump thru getting the O-A which for those no wishing to work is the besgt possible Visa except the coveted "Perm Res" I know a person who has a perm res and the advantages for the poor working folk are really huge. That Visaq has alot of Hoops to jump thru!!!!

I will follow up on this post and explain the results, (for that day with that office etc. TIT) and post my journey.

Thanks to George for the reality check TIT...Three official sources and three different stories...That sound about right! TING TONG

Humble,IF indeed your multi OA is based on retirement and Honolulu told you it will also be necessary to also obtain a re-entry permit at Sathorn,I would not accept this as gospel.

You're the 1st one Ive ever heard of that's been told this(either here on the forum or otherwise),assuming,of course, the initial visa is still within it's year's validity..

Please bear in mind that I was told here in N.O.that I would only be admitted for 90 days on arrival at BKK..The point again being that the consulates only issue visas (based on info that they deem to be accurate) and really are far removed from what

will be required and when after one actually arrives in Thailand.

Harpster...I won't bore the board with giving you the URL for all the forms but...

I have retirement visa...I did the paperwork for a RETIREMENT VISA. I also paid for a multi entry retirement visa which required and addtional form. This one is linked for you. http://www.thai-la.net/visa/oa-form.doc Go thru the forms as see what you did. My visa says "long stay 1year" and OA posted in two places in my Passport. I suggest you contact the Main Embassy in Washington D.C. at

202-944-3608.

They have informed me as follows: You must enter Thailand with in the valid date of your Visa. An O-A visa for 1yr long stay will allow you to stay in the Kingdom for 1 year but you much check in at an Immi office, local police, or by mail or internet every 90 days. You will be required to obtain a reenty permit. On this visa you will received another 1 year entry at Passport control as long as you visa is valid. It is important that your visa be O-A Long Stay. This will make the Passport control office aware that you get one year, Immi for your reentry permit will see you have a retirement visa and you'll get one stamp for multiple reentries

good untill the expriy date of you visa. Upon arrival at Passport control please note the Reentry permit number on your TM card and the Passport Control officer will admit you for 1 year as long as you visa hasw not expired.

this is what the Wash DC Thai Embassy told me at the time of this post!

Although this is very similar to some options we've viewed in this banter I would like to so indicate this to be numbered option 4 as per my previous post!

NOTE: I have request that a pinned thread be created for those actually entering the Kingdom so the may report as to the events at passport control for their VISA. If you don't have a visa and are doing upon arrival please note this is for your viewning and no neet to comment as we are looking for FACTS! People with visas and the spin at that moment!

Edited by HumbleFlyer

Not only is that interesting but the info on the LA office web site indicated that O's are good for 90 days but the is no referance to O-A Long Stay. If you look at the form I linked to you'll see about long stay..More money and more info.

the Multiple Re-entry is no problem... Look I have to go the the U.S. Embassy and get the resident affidavit to get a Drivers License, add some pages to my Passport, and get my Hawaii Dl and Int''l P[ermit translated. Check this. That office of the Citizens Consular Services opens at 0730....I've been told that it will be a quick visit...the immi office in Sathorn doesn't open untill 9am...5 min cab ride from U.S. Embasssy to the Thai office. Remember the wisdom of George TIT I expect to be at the Thai office for a bit...Bring someting to read, meet some new friends, and the whole process will be over before Annies opens. <deleted> I can walk down Soi Convent, stop of at St. Joe's for a couple quick Hail Mary's, Hit the Irish Exchange for a couple bracers and a nooner in Patpong. See, I'm going to do just fine living in Thailand, go to stay cool like Island Style_ Ya know know mon, cool runnings everyday. Too bad I had to put back my departure a couple weeks. No biggie....I hope they put up a thread for actual experience of going thru Passport control, their embassy, and the Thai stuff (TIT). But ONLY for real time stuff so we can get a grip on the fact that is will be different. Bets on the Humble one getting a year stamp in his book at Passport control......No Problem...I hear if it says 1 year long stay you get 1 year long stay!

A bit of info from Jolly Ol'e London...Seems they are of the position that you'll see the future flash infont of you at Passport Control. However (TIT) seems this is not taking into consideration one has the O-A LONG STAY which is covered elsewhere but has no 90 day note. Sory about the cut and paste but it will save bantering

clip

. Once arrived in the Kingdom

4.1 Upon arrival in Thailand, the actual length of stay (1 year) will be determined and granted at Immigration check - point.

4.2 Once having been in the Kingdom up to 90 days, applicant must report himself/

herself to the authorities concerned and every 90 days, also report can be made

by post by fill up the form TM.47 which can be obtained from immigration office.

4.3 Once staying in the Kingdom completed 1 year and wishing to extend of stay, this can also be made by submitting the application at the Immigration Bureau, by showing documents of current income the amount equivalent as stated in 2

4.4 In case of spouse wishing to extend of stay, marriage certificate is required.

Royal Thai Embassy

LONDON

20 January 2002

For more information, please contact the Royal Thai Embassy, Consular Section, 29-30 Queen’s Gate, LONDON SW7 5JB. Tel. 0207-5892944.

Hi Humble,there are indeed differences in our OA application experiences..My visa only says:Category"OA" good for multiple journeys to Thailand. Nothing at all saying "long stay", (arent all "OA"s long stay??)Its only stamped on one page of my passport. I did not have to fill out any other forms other than the standard application,indicating I was applying for an OA visa in the upper right hand corner. The consul was on the phone with the Thai embassy and told me that the embassy would have it filed in their computer that my

multi "OA" was based on retirement,

(obviously,thats the documentation I provided for them) My visa 's got to be the same as Redwood's Dutch's, and Shotover's, Apparently,no mention was made to them either about needing "long stay" written in their visa.

By the way,I think that's an excellent idea you have about a pinned thread for OA's arrival experiences at P.Port Control at Don Muang ...Let's hope it takes hold!

.... Nothing at all saying "long stay", (arent all "OA"s long stay??) ....

I think you're right - all O-A's are "long stay", and putting "long stay" on the visa is just additional information to help immigration identify the visa as one that awards the bearer a one year stay. This is what my single entry O-A looks like:

visals2ha.jpg

I agree that all retirement visa's are long stay.. I guess we have OA Long Time vs. OA Short Time (555). Keeping in line with TIT please open this link and let the posters know if you filled out this form. IN Honolulu it was required to get the Long Stay notation. RDN sees it a s signal...I'll let you know in a couple weeks. Instead of scurring to Annies or the Nana parking lot upon arrival I will fire up the lap top and get the info out as I and everybody else would like to see the results I get at that moment with that particular Immi Officer.

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/oa-form.doc I did post this link before but it was buried in some other rubbish! What say you all, did we have tghat for or not?