O-a Visa(retirement) A Breeze!..but

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I can see Doc Ps point though. If someone is denied an O at one consulate,and for some reason cant get or doesn't want an initial OA,there would be nothing to lose by trying for a standard O elsewhere.

Again,I personally am glad I got the initial OA here anyway,but others ,of course,may not feel this way,depending on their circumstances.

To Lop,I think (hope!!) you're right that,in essence, the extra $75

charged for the OA multi is in lieu of the re-entry permit(s) that would be required otherwise,and should be for the duration of the visa's validity(one year from date of issue), with re-entry permits required BEFORE leaving Thailand if one would leave anytime after the initial OA visa expiration date. This ,of course, would be the case when one gets yet another 365 days upon re-entry, since the new "admitted until date" would be later than the "valid until" date of the original OA. (Redwood, wasn't this the case with you?)

Yes Mike, that is correct. The multiple entry expired one year after the issuance of the O-A visa. But, on the two occasions when I left Thailand prior to its expiration I've been given 365 day extensions at Don Muang on returning :o

-redwood

To Lop,I think (hope!!) you're right that,in essence, the extra $75

charged for the OA multi is in lieu of the re-entry permit(s) that would be required otherwise,and should be for the duration of the visa's validity(one year from date of issue), with re-entry permits required BEFORE leaving Thailand if one would leave anytime after the initial OA visa expiration date. This ,of course, would be the case when one gets yet another 365 days upon re-entry, since the new "admitted until date" would be later than the "valid until" date of the original OA. (Redwood, wasn't this the case with you?)

Yes Mike, that is correct. The multiple entry expired one year after the issuance of the O-A visa. But, on the two occasions when I left Thailand prior to its expiration I've been given 365 day extensions at Don Muang on returning :D

-redwood

There it is! Bingo!! ChaaaaChing!! :o

My Retirement O-A Visa experience is consistent with that described by Redwood and Lopburi. The extra 3800 baht (now about $100 USD) I paid for the multi-entry feature of the visa is worth the extra cost as Thai Immigration extends my reentry date by one year every time I leave and reenter Thailand, thus meaning that I don't have to renew my O-A visa (issued in April 2004) until April 2006.

My Retirement O-A Visa experience is consistent with that described by Redwood and Lopburi.  The extra 3800 baht (now about $100 USD) I paid for the multi-entry feature of the visa is worth the extra cost as Thai Immigration extends my reentry date by one year every time I leave and reenter Thailand, thus meaning that I don't have to renew my O-A visa (issued in April 2004) until April 2006.

Where did you get your initial OA,Shot?? Everyone I know of(including myself) was only charged $75 for the multi entry feature.. ($125 multi vs $50 single)

This being from a U.S. Consulate..

• 2 months later...

Sorry for pulling up an older thread but it is of interest for me.

I just registered here but have been reading hundreds of posts already. As I'm turning 50 this year the thought of seeking retirement in Thailand popped up. I'm living in Sweden now and still working. As an old jaded Internet user I have been a good boy and done as much research of my own as I can on the subject :D

It's a long term plan and I'm not in a hurry so there are a lot of years left before I leave from here. I need to find out how many years I can live on savings since I will not receive my pension before turning 61. (TIS :o This is Sweden) :D

Now, on the topic, as I look at the application for O-A long stay visa for retirement purpose it is asking for a reference in Thailand. Only multientry is offered at the embassy here.

What is considered a legal reference? Do I really need one if the purpose is retirement?

I'm aware of the meaning behind TIT, these forums are an endless source of information, obviously.

...What is considered a legal reference? Do I really need one if the purpose is retirement?...

For my O-A visa, I had to complete a "Personal Data" form, which asks for the name of a "reference" person. My reference person was an ex-girlfriend, a very nice lady with a proper job (that is, not working in a bar). I don't know whether the immigration people ever contacted my reference person - I have never asked her!

...What is considered a legal reference? Do I really need one if the purpose is retirement?...

For my O-A visa, I had to complete a "Personal Data" form, which asks for the name of a "reference" person. My reference person was an ex-girlfriend, a very nice lady with a proper job (that is, not working in a bar). I don't know whether the immigration people ever contacted my reference person - I have never asked her!

The pain in an O-A is the homeland medical certificate, the notorization process and the police clearance certificate.

Are you sure they want a reference in Thailand? Could it be in your home country? Whenever I have filled out an immigration form asking for a reference in the country I am visiting I put "self" meaning I take responsibility for myself and have never had it questioned.

The pain in an O-A is the homeland medical certificate, the notorization process and the police clearance certificate.

Just to reiterate,no notarization was needed for my multi OA,police clearance took all of 15 minutes,doc had medical clearnace faxed to Thai Consulate next day,

Besides,for those who may encounter some "pain",I still say this is the best way to go( multi OA in advance, before entering Thailand) :o

...Now, on the topic, as I look at the application for O-A long stay visa for retirement purpose it is asking for a reference in Thailand. Only multientry is offered at the embassy here.

What is considered a legal reference? Do I really need one if the purpose is retirement?...

There was a form that I had to complete for the O-A which was discussed here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=254138

...and can be downloaded from the Thai LA website here:

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/non-o-a.htm

This is the actual link to the document:

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/oa-form.doc

The form is actually called: Additional Application Form for Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A".

Some other posters have referred to a form called "Personal Data Form" which they say asks for educational and work history. This is not what the "Additional Application Form" wants.

But, one thing the "Additional Application Form" does want is a reference person in Thailand:

refperson7ko.jpg

And this is where I put my ex-g/f's name, address and phone number (after asking her permission, of course).

...Now, on the topic, as I look at the application for O-A long stay visa for retirement purpose it is asking for a reference in Thailand. Only multientry is offered at the embassy here.

What is considered a legal reference? Do I really need one if the purpose is retirement?...

There was a form that I had to complete for the O-A which was discussed here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=254138

...and can be downloaded from the Thai LA website here:

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/non-o-a.htm

This is the actual link to the document:

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/oa-form.doc

The form is actually called: Additional Application Form for Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A".

Some other posters have referred to a form called "Personal Data Form" which they say asks for educational and work history. This is not what the "Additional Application Form" wants.

But, one thing the "Additional Application Form" does want is a reference person in Thailand:

refperson7ko.jpg

And this is where I put my ex-g/f's name, address and phone number (after asking her permission, of course).

Never saw that form when I applied,RDN."Personal Data Form" was required tho...

Yes harpman, that is exactly the document linked to on the embassy webpage here in Sweden. There is no reference to any other document where personal data is requested.

So, to elaborate some more on this: is "self" a good enough reference? Could, say, a landlord be a legal reference provided this person accepts it?

The reason I ask is because I have no contacts in Thailand beyond another Swede who have not lived there for long.

Yes harpman, that is exactly the document linked to on the embassy webpage here in Sweden. There is no reference to any other document where personal data is requested.

So, to elaborate some more on this: is "self" a good enough reference? Could, say, a landlord be a legal reference provided this person accepts it?

The reason I ask is because I have no contacts in Thailand beyond another Swede who have not lived there for long.

Come to think of it,I do believe I was asked about a reference..but dont even remember what I put down as this was put off by the Honorary Consul as a relatively unimportant formality compared to(especially) proof of pension,cash balance,medical,et al........