Tiger Airways Opens Chiang Mai-singapore Service

george

Budget airlines Tiger Airways opens Chiang Mai-Singapore service

BANGKOK: -- Tiger Airways, the low-cost sister of Singapore Airlines, today inaugurated its Chiang Mai-Singapore route service – with all 3,000 tickets at a bargain 249 baht per seat per flight fully booked.

Tiger Airways will fly four times a week – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays – as Chiang Mai is a popular holiday destination among the Singaporeans. Normal airfare is 1,500 baht one way.

Asked to comment on the reports that the Office for Consumer Protection Board penalized low-cost airlines for misleading consumers via their ad-campaigns which deliberately hide small print containing hidden expenses, Tiger Airways CEO Tony Davis said he believed the airline will not run into similar problem because it has studied how pioneering budget airlines operate in Europe and that it is conforming with rules and regulations.

In addition to the new route, Tiger Airways is cooperating with the Tourism Authority of Thailand to promote tourism in Phuket by offering cheap fares between Phuket and Singapore. To date, all 10,000 tickets at 250 baht a seat one way were sold out. Optimistic about Phuket’s recovery,Tiger Airways plans to add a second flight daily from Singapore to Phuket.

--TNA 2005-02-18

• 3 years later...
Budget airlines Tiger Airways opens Chiang Mai-Singapore service

BANGKOK: -- Tiger Airways, the low-cost sister of Singapore Airlines, today inaugurated its Chiang Mai-Singapore route service – with all 3,000 tickets at a bargain 249 baht per seat per flight fully booked.

Tiger Airways will fly four times a week – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays – as Chiang Mai is a popular holiday destination among the Singaporeans. Normal airfare is 1,500 baht one way.

Asked to comment on the reports that the Office for Consumer Protection Board penalized low-cost airlines for misleading consumers via their ad-campaigns which deliberately hide small print containing hidden expenses, Tiger Airways CEO Tony Davis said he believed the airline will not run into similar problem because it has studied how pioneering budget airlines operate in Europe and that it is conforming with rules and regulations.

In addition to the new route, Tiger Airways is cooperating with the Tourism Authority of Thailand to promote tourism in Phuket by offering cheap fares between Phuket and Singapore. To date, all 10,000 tickets at 250 baht a seat one way were sold out. Optimistic about Phuket’s recovery,Tiger Airways plans to add a second flight daily from Singapore to Phuket.

--TNA 2005-02-18

Looks like they've recently closed this route (?) I was a regular on this route. Regularly getting a CM - Singapore return for less than 5000bhat. New Airbus planes and 2.5 hours, the flights were normally 2/3 full. So whats happened ? Is someone else taking over this route (Silk Air are still operating but fares are >10k bhat and not daily).

I also noticed Tiger have just reduced their service from SIN to Phuket - now just one flight per day. JetStar seem to have abandoned the route entirely.

Looks like Singaporeans are not so keen on Thailand any more.

Thats good news , and just 1500 baht a bargain that is . :o

It is a bargain.

But I doubt if there is any airline in the world able to fly profitable on such a distance -Chiang Mai to Singapore- for a mere Baht 1,500....That is € 30 - US $ 48 or GBP 24... :D

I don't think so.

LaoPo

And of course they dropped the Sing - Udon Thani route late last year.

Maybe something to do with needing the planes for their recently opened Australian operations.

I was a regular user of the Sing - Udon flights and rarely saw them much less that 80% full, I was amazed when they stopped the flights and was told by a hostess that Tiger was more interested in the Australian and Indian market. She said the Indian flights are 100% full...so its just a case of more bums on seats.

Its the same as the Bangkok to Khon Kaen with Air Asia, full flights but dropped for no reason...buggered if I know what their marketing strategy is built on. I wondered if they get pressure from Thai Airways to abandon the route.