Www.skype.com

Henning Karlsen

Hello from Vienna!

I just found a small program called Skype and it is possible to download it at

http://www.skype.com/

Did any of you try this program for calling Europe from Thailand or also from Europe to Thailand.

They operate with very low prices and you don't need a telephone line,but can still call every handy or standard telephone.

I have tried it PC to PC with very good results and sound has a very high quality.

Best Regards

Henning K

Hello from Vienna!

<span style='font-family:Times'></span> I just found a small program called Skype and it is possible to download it at

http://www.skype.com/

Did any of you try this program for calling Europe from Thailand or also from Europe to Thailand.

They operate with very low prices and you don't need a telephone line,but can still call every handy or standard telephone.

I have tried it PC to PC with very good results and sound has a very high quality.

Best Regards

Henning K

Skype is very popular with the lads here for calling from India to Europe and the States. Computer to computer is free. Computer to landline or mobile cheap (e.g. 0.25 euro for 16 mins to a French landline). However, I think you need a pretty quick internet connection. Also some problems getting credit onto your account.

skype works on a peer 2 peer basis which means that the more people using the program world wide the better and faster your connection. 6 months ago it was pretty unreliable, but has been gaining a lot of ground. Should be improving more as more people start using it.

Edited by pandit35

We use SkypeOut with a TRUE ADSL connection. Thailand to Ireland (fixed and mobile) is great - as good as a regular landline. Thailand to UK is not as good - delays, dropped calls, other side can't hear us, etc. We use a different VOIP for that - www.iconnecthere.com

I tried Skype, Middle East -Thailand but ended up deleting it after a week. I'm on broadband and my wife on landline. It either dropped out all the time or we had very wavering sounds to our voices. We did experience the crystal clear lines for a period of 10 minutes during that week, others talked about here, but that was it.

NL

PC to PC gets used lots.. multiple hours daily with Canada, Singapore, China, Ireland and UK.. Better than mobiles and landlines most of the time (adsl in all locations except China)..

Skypeout I had less success with but that was a few months back.. Dont need it as all of my contacts are online..

One ###### of a system and the telcos should start to worry..

I've generally had good results with the Skype pc-to-pc connections, with people in Europe, Asia, and the US (haven't tried anywhere else). Usually there is even less delay/lag than a normal phone line, and the quality is exceptional. My friend uses the Skypeout system for calling normal phones, and he says it works OK.

I've just tried from PC to PC and to phone as well using a 56k connection. PC to Pc is fine. I've had to redial a number a few times on some occasions as I could hear people on the other end but they could'nt hear me.

The funniest thing was trying to call my dad when I first tried it. He could not hear me at all, I kept calling and he 'd swear he'd find me and kick my a55 thinking I was a prank caller yanking his chain. I stopped calling when he decided to make a loud feedback noise through the phone using a hearing aid he's got attached to his phone. :o

I use skype and skypeout with my comp. results can vary , but all you have to do is redial if the quality is unacceptable. it works ok over 56k , dsl and sat. I use skypeout on my PDA ( with BT headset ) via wireless ( then either sat or dsl ) and it works fine.

Crushdepth (www.crushdepth.net) has tried it via EDGE in bangkok and reports it works ok.

Edited by stumonster

Never used it yet but getting broadband hooked up today with "Blueyonder" so will give it a go over the weekend.

When you say Cheap ...whats cheap?

About 10-12 years the costs to phone say to a mobile in Phnom Penh from London was approx.believe it or not £2 a minute :D

From Cambodia the other way the only card service available during the time of Mr Akashi was Aus-tels little money maker at US$6 a minute..minimun card purchase $50 which gave roughly 8 an a half minutes. :o

Thailand was always a lot cheaper but in comparison to now ...well....

Anyway as said whats cheap with skippy...

We still use Telesavers/Discount (not me of course)which to give them due credit have maintained their rates at 1 pence a minute to anywhere in LOS....wotever. :D

Never used it yet but getting broadband hooked up today with "Blueyonder" so will give it a go over the weekend.

When you say Cheap ...whats cheap?

About 10-12 years the costs to phone say to a mobile in Phnom Penh from London was approx.believe it or not £2 a minute :D

From Cambodia the other way the only card service available during the time of Mr Akashi was Aus-tels little money maker at US$6 a minute..minimun card purchase $50 which gave roughly 8 an a half minutes. :o

Thailand was always a lot cheaper but in comparison to now ...well....

Anyway as said whats cheap with skippy...

We still use Telesavers/Discount (not me of course)which to give them due credit have maintained their rates at 1 pence a minute to anywhere in LOS....wotever. :D

Canada-US is about 2.5 cents a minute.

Just had a priceless 2 hour talk with my father for a mere 2.50$ :D

Talked with a dear friend as well for 1/2 hour.

No problems with sound this time around on a dialup connection.

Wonderful software.

Skippi..from UK to>

Thailand - Mobile GBP 0.064 GBP 0.074

Thailand - Bangkok GBP 0.035 GBP 0.040

telesav/disc UK>

Thailand - Mobile GBP 0.01 GBP 0.01

Thailand - Bangkok GBP 0.01 GBP 0.01

me bruvvers the bank manager but according to my "o"level in English Lit....Skippi is ..........peng :o