Monday's Tv News About Factory Closures

Yesterday we saw the Thai news. Triumph the bra maker and some other company closed.

one company sent the workforce to take a 1 week break, then the machines were all gone when they returned.

Just a normal event these days? I didn't see anything on TV.

Chris

KF6VCI

the chances are that the company and machinery moved to somewhere like lamphun ( or somewhere similar ) where factory shut downs / downsizing the labour force have created a huge buyers market in the last few months !

ie ... do you want to work / sew / build / massage for 150 baht ( under minimum wage ) a day or not ... ?

if yes .... you can have a job ! .... if no ..... bye bye .... next person

thats how tough it is out there for an uneducated thai at the moment !

or so many of thais i know tell me ?

weather i should believe what they tell me or not ... im not sure..... but im getting five calls a day from girls ... with david ..... can i see you today

last year and the three years before that i was getting ... david can i see you today with probably an average of twice a day .

now its five a day ..... the thais are hurting ... believe me

dave2

Maybe a stupid question but does it mean that lady's are cutting their expenses and one of the items they cut is underwear/lingerie purchase?

Maybe it should be asked in the lady section of this forum?

Yesterday we saw the Thai news. Triumph the bra maker and some other company closed.

one company sent the workforce to take a 1 week break, then the machines were all gone when they returned.

Chris

Triumph moved out of Australia (Brisbane factory) to Thailand some 20 years ago quoting wage costs were too high, these days they are all blaming it on the World Economy (scapegoat) Pacific in Australia closed relocating to China the interesting part is the Aust Govt had financed new machines don't know if they were aware it was for China operation.

They (Pacific) left the Australian machines behind and when threatened with there siezure by employees looking to recover entitlements - smiles were abundant.

I wonder where the Thai based company mentioned by the OP sent the machines and who funde the escape? (would be easy to check)I would think.

Sad part in all of this is that the employees lose out with no one willing or even interested in pursuing the companies on their (employees) behalf. :)

Tiumph hasn't closed down!

They laid of 1930 workers in 1 factory, while the other factory they have remains unaffected.

They claim worldwide recession and downturn in the economy (which I would think most people can see is present), but the staff thinks it's still a spillover of the huge quarrels the management had with the unions (with several strikes etc...).

Apparently Triumph even offered severance pay way over what the workers would entitled to legally.

I myself have been affected (long time ago) by the greed instilled by the unions into the workforce, resulting in the company simply moving operations as costs simply rose to high...5,000 People on the street and the unions were proud that they got rid of a "greedy" factory. Not much use to the 3500 workers not immediately finding new jobs :)

So I have not that much respect for unions, and a small bit of understanding towards companies being hit hard by strikes and such things....

Chris

There is currently a couple of hundred workers sitting outside the Triumph building in the Bangplee Industrial Estate. Triumph has basically halved their workforce stating the economic outlook. There is a lot of bad blood between the Union and the Management and both sides have made substantial errors in the past. Sad now that it is the workers that will be affected...

The strikes were not about greed. They were about the dismissal of the Union President for a T-shirt she wore on a TV talk show.

Triumph

There was a similar closing in the Philippines as well.

More than 1,600 Filipino workers of Triumph International will lose their jobs after the company announced Saturday it was closing down next month “due to the global recession and general downturn in consumer demand.”

TH

When Triumph's founders launched their corsetry business from a barn in Heubach (Württemberg, Germany) in 1886, they had startup funds of 2000 gold marks and employed 6 staff. Today, the company they started boasts annual sales of over 1.6 billion US dollars, and employs over 30,000 staff all over the world. But one thing hasn't changed since the early days. Then as now, the philosophy of the company focuses on its people. We condemn and abhor any kind of discrimination on the grounds of sex, nationality, race or religion, and we are committed to observing international human rights statutes both within our own production operations and in all suppliers to Triumph International.

What is interesting when you Google Triumph International on the net and then select Asia THAILAND appears but on trying to open Thailand you end up with Korea?? Maybe just a computer glitch.

Edited by mijan24

absingjul..

Does this mean more women are going braless?

Sadly no .

all thai girls over 9 wear padded bras wheather theyve got anything to put in it or not .

and most havnt and never will : ) ..... dave2