Building Your Own Desktop

MeetJohnDoe

I have been researching this week the prices of components for building my own desktop Win-PC and have been shocked at the prices of components here in Thailand. All major parts are 20-60 percent more expensive than Stateside. Now I know why this is often the case for things in Thailand (small market and such) but 50%...especially since many of them are likely manufactured and imported from other Asian/ASEAN countries and should carry low import/excise taxes...so what gives?

Prices for built-up notebooks and desktops are fairly competitive with Stateside pricing and certainly not 50% more expensive. But if you build your own from parts bought in Thailand, it well may be. Some examples:

CPU:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz US$ 220 ..... TB 9500 ($ 297.00 - 35% more)

Main Board:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R 775 $ 105 ..... TB 4325 ($ 135 - 20% more)

RAM Memory:

Kingston (4GB DDR2 @ 1066 Mhz) $ 60.00 ..... TB 2010 $ 62.00 (same but speed only 800 Mhz)

Video Card:

EVGA GeForce GTX 275 $ 199 ..... B 10,170 ($ 320 - 60% more)

Sound Card:

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium $ 139.00 ..... TB 6990 ($ 218.00 - 57% more)

Operating System:

Windows Vista Ultimate (OEM)

$ 190.00 ..... TB 7690 ($ 240.00 - 26% more) Thai version/pricing does not include free upgrade to Win-7 Ultimate when available.

USA pricing from Amazon/Newegg; Thai pricing Hardware House.

Exchange rate: TB 32 - US$ 1

I'm thinking of having friends bring these over from US and just buying heavy/bulky items like the PS and case here!

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

It greatly depends on what you are buying. The new/high market is always much more expensive as there is not a large market and they are hand carried in for the large markup that can be charged for them. If you buy older (normal business type computer components) there price will be much more competitive.

I'm thinking of having friends bring these over from US and just buying heavy/bulky items like the PS and case here!

I've thought of that also... but the problem is if you get a bad component and then want to get it serviced or replaced under warrenty...

Good Luck with that!!!

If It's a Major brand name.. and you purchase an extra International or "World" Warrenty, then OK.. if not...

S.O.L.

Even with an international warrenty you may be computerless for weeks, as many only have offices here and all major service is done in Singapore, or Japan.

Better to buy here... Where you can be sure to buy someting with local service, and they won't argue (to much) if it is still under warrenty.

Cheaper in long run !

CS

It greatly depends on what you are buying. The new/high market is always much more expensive as there is not a large market and they are hand carried in for the large markup that can be charged for them. If you buy older (normal business type computer components) there price will be much more competitive.

Agreed...but all the listed component are not bleeding-edge but more mid-range to upper mid-range components (except the sound card).

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

I have been researching this week the prices of components for building my own desktop Win-PC and have been shocked at the prices of components here in Thailand. All major parts are 20-60 percent more expensive than Stateside. Now I know why this is often the case for things in Thailand (small market and such) but 50%...especially since many of them are likely manufactured and imported from other Asian/ASEAN countries and should carry low import/excise taxes...so what gives?

Prices for built-up notebooks and desktops are fairly competitive with Stateside pricing and certainly not 50% more expensive. But if you build your own from parts bought in Thailand, it well may be. Some examples:

CPU:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz US$ 220 ..... TB 9500 ($ 297.00 - 35% more)

Main Board:

RAM Memory:

Kingston (4GB DDR2 @ 1066 Mhz) $ 60.00 ..... TB 2010 $ 62.00 (same but speed only 800 Mhz)

Video Card:

EVGA GeForce GTX 275 $ 199 ..... B 10,170 ($ 320 - 60% more)

Sound Card:

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium $ 139.00 ..... TB 6990 ($ 218.00 - 57% more)

Operating System:

Windows Vista Ultimate (OEM)

$ 190.00 ..... TB 7690 ($ 240.00 - 26% more) Thai version/pricing does not include free upgrade to Win-7 Ultimate when available.

USA pricing from Amazon/Newegg; Thai pricing Hardware House.

Exchange rate: TB 32 - US$ 1

Have you considered the GIGABYTE GA-EP45t-UD3R instead of the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R it takes DDR3 ram.

You have to consider the fact the the US prices don't have any tax added to them, and most other countries do add tax.

Regardless whether the items are manufactured locally, there is a tax added to them.

When you ship something by the shipload, the transportation costs are insignificant.

Like someone said already, in the long run you are better off buying locally.

:)

The US is the largest consumer marketplace in the world, Its also the cheapest place for almost everything... Cars, electronics etc... regardless of where it is made, precisely because of the previous point.

Main Board:

RAM Memory:

Have you considered the GIGABYTE GA-EP45t-UD3R instead of the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R it takes DDR3 ram.

For the price-performance point I am seeking, upgrading the MB and RAM doesn't make sense. The CPU I've chosen does not require DDR3 (like the I-7) and I should get very good speeds with the CPU/RAM combo I have chosen. Compared to the over-clocking ability with this chip, the increase in speed from faster RAM would be de-minimus IMO.

Maybe best course would be to bite the bullet and buy MB and CPU here (sorta have to if need a computer sooner) and have the friend bring over the graphic and sound cards (as they have the biggest mark-ups and highest actual costs). Until then, just use the integrated video and sound capabilities on the MB. Also install a temp. 5th floor Tuk-com Windows OS, with the friend bringing me the real thing from the States later (so can get the free Win-7 upgrade).

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Its funny about things made in Thailand.  I wanted to buy some solar devices from a company I came across, but the company I was taking to said they could not sell them in Thailand because they only had an export business in Thailand.  They had to export and re import the items before they can be sold in Thailand even if they never leave Thailand and at that price after import tax there was no market here for the devices so they never started an import side.   :D    I guess they are protecting all those companies that don't even make these things.  :)

I'd suggest the difference in price between the US and Thailand is a little less than John has found. Take a walk around your local IT mall and you will find prices about 5% cheaper without any negotiation for the CPU and motherboard listed. I'm not American but 32 baht to the US$? I thought it was closer to 34 baht now  :)

I agree that high end graphics cards, cases and power supplies are much dearer than in the US but as mentioned before the demand is simply to small in Thailand to expect any different and the number of brands available in the US means the US has to be a much more competitive market. There is also no Thai equivalent of Newegg imo. EVGA is not a well marketed brand in Thailand so I think the difference in price might be even greater for that brand due to the very limited number of places that even sell EVGA cards.

My hearing is not great so I really don't see the point on spending money on a dedicated sound card theses days as on board is pretty good. If you're a muso or sound engineer that's different but if it's for gaming then I'd be spending the money upgrading somewhere else to be honest.

I purchased  a 1TB WD Green 32MB hard disk recently, 3100 baht, not a huge price difference (less than 10%?) to the US. Not worth bringing one in from the US even if I could due to warranty issues. Despite WD making many of their drives in Thailand I was surprised to see 'Made in Malaysia' on the sticker. Even in Singapore with a wealthier population I don't find big savings on most items over  Thailand. I tend to restrict my purchases in Singapore now to items I can't find in Thailand.  

For the operating system, as a stop gap you might consider using the Windows 7 RC available for free from Microsoft. Partition the hard drive so when the commercial version comes out around October you can install without affecting your files. 

Main Board:

RAM Memory:

For the price-performance point I am seeking, upgrading the MB and RAM doesn't make sense. The CPU I've chosen does not require DDR3 (like the I-7) and I should get very good speeds with the CPU/RAM combo I have chosen. Compared to the over-clocking ability with this chip, the increase in speed from faster RAM would be de-minimus IMO.

Maybe best course would be to bite the bullet and buy MB and CPU here (sorta have to if need a computer sooner) and have the friend bring over the graphic and sound cards (as they have the biggest mark-ups and highest actual costs). Until then, just use the integrated video and sound capabilities on the MB. Also install a temp. 5th floor Tuk-com Windows OS, with the friend bringing me the real thing from the States later (so can get the free Win-7 upgrade).

Put a pirate copy of Windows on the system and then do a validation check, you want to fail this check. Microsoft will give you an option to obtain a valid copy of Windows direct at a lower cost than the wholesale price in Thailand. This is the cheapest way to have a legal copy of Windows in Thailand. I will not sell any of my customers a copy of Windows as it costs much more through the dealer network than the cost to any individual. Why would I sell something that costs me more than I can receive back from the customer?

Main Board:

RAM Memory:

Put a pirate copy of Windows on the system and then do a validation check, you want to fail this check. Microsoft will give you an option to obtain a valid copy of Windows direct at a lower cost than the wholesale price in Thailand. This is the cheapest way to have a legal copy of Windows in Thailand. I will not sell any of my customers a copy of Windows as it costs much more through the dealer network than the cost to any individual. Why would I sell something that costs me more than I can receive back from the customer?

I like that, its a good one, and likely a better version of the software less watered down.  :)

I strongly urge you NOT to bring untested NEW cards from the USA....

I bought (Built) my computer using only locally purchased stuff, all name brand, Upper-mid level quality as I'm not a gamer.

After everything, I spent somewhere around 65,000 baht, including monitor and 2.1 speakers.

(If you are interested in the specs you can do a Search under my ID for "Dream Computer"... there are a few threads dealing with my experiences. but I won't take the space here to list all the specs.)

The Point I want to make, is that even with all my care when I made my purchase I had to Repair or Replace the following components within the First Year :

Sound card - Replaced

Video Card - Repaired (Twice - last time sent to Singapore, forcing me to buy another and keep old one as spare.)

DVD-RW - replaced (Twice)

Motherboard - repaired

RAM - replaced

Add to this, I even had a UPS go bad after a Power failure, (Now I have 2) I'm a strong believer in redundancy and backup.

You can't put your faith in hardware, even Brand names, and even if Bought in USA. And you will have warrenty and service problems here for US bought stuff. (I had a Viao laptop, USA bought, HDD went 1 month before extra purchasedn 3rd Party World Warrenty expired... Sony Thailand Fixed it no problem, But I had to pay them here then send bill back to USA to get reimbursed from Ins. company.)

What's more important to you... saving a few Baht, or less stress and lower blood-pressure?

Up2U

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

For the operating system, as a stop gap you might consider using the Windows 7 RC available for free from Microsoft. Partition the hard drive so when the commercial version comes out around October you can install without affecting your files.

Interesting suggestion...I hadn't thought of it :) Can you download and use the RC on a PC without a pre-existing version of Windows?

That or can always us Lenix for a few months I guess.

I strongly urge you NOT to bring untested NEW cards from the USA....

I bought (Built) my computer using only locally purchased stuff, all name brand, Upper-mid level quality as I'm not a gamer.

The Point I want to make, is that even with all my care when I made my purchase I had to Repair or Replace the following components within the First Year :

Sound card - Replaced

Video Card - Repaired (Twice - last time sent to Singapore, forcing me to buy another and keep old one as spare.)

DVD-RW - replaced (Twice)

Motherboard - repaired

RAM - replaced

Wow...that's a pretty scary scenario...but sounds like it must be unusual. Basically, everything but the CPU went bad and had to be either repaired or replaced. Almost makes me want to a pre-built name brand PC instead. What might be the reasons for your problems...just compatibility issues as all the components had not be tested as a unit before (as are the components for pre-build PCs)? I have had pre-built desktops before with no problems...why so many if you build you own for name-brand components?.

Also, for places like Hardware House, if you give them the list of components you want and have them assemble and test it, do they give any warranty of their own (in addition to that of the component makers). Also, parts sellers like them, are they official distributors of the stuff they sell so that the manufacturer's warranties are good?

Can you download and use the RC on a PC without a pre-existing version of Windows?

Yes. Download site and instructions here > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx. Need to hurry though.

"You don't need to rush to get the RC. The RC will be available at least through July 2009 and we're not limiting the number of product keys, so you have plenty of time."

I had my last machine "built" by a shop in Fortune Town .. 3rd floor .. on the left aisle as you're walking toward the Tesco end. It was much more convenient for me than was Pantip. I'm not sure if I paid any premium.

Basically, I selected ALL the components, including power supply, and the shop assembled. I made sure to get all warranty information and driver CDs. They installed a pirate copy of XP without me asking them to do so. Next time I will ask for the machine to be assembled, tested, then the HD formatted.

For me, the chance of forgetting something is pretty high.

At that time I was living in a small house at the edge of the sand, 50 m or less from the water. I had lots of problems with corrosion on VGA cards (probably because they install horizontally) and even a a main board. The salt air corrosion was evident .. but on mb #3 they felt sorry for me and gave me a new one free.

One thing that I remember from my days in Pattaya, one big shop was about 10-15% more expensive than Pantip.

Edited by klikster

Can you download and use the RC on a PC without a pre-existing version of Windows?

Yes. Download site and instructions here > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx. Need to hurry though.

"You don't need to rush to get the RC. The RC will be available at least through July 2009 and we're not limiting the number of product keys, so you have plenty of time."

That sounds like a pretty good way to go...and you have till March 2010 to install a licensed version of Vista or Win-7.

That sounds like a pretty good way to go...and you have till March 2010 to install a licensed version of Vista or Win-7.

I think so too. I am running Windows 7 RC on my MSI-Wind netbook and quite happy with it.

The price difference quoted above compares to Australia as well, that's why I had a friend bring bring my PC hardware upgrade items back with him from there.

In some cases more than 50% cheaper. I guess it's all to do with Thailand's high import tax.

Windows 7 works great, Gigabyte are supporting it with drivers also. Another trick to save money if you want vista is to get a upgrade version, install it with the default settings only (important) dont enter a serial number which vista will let you do to install as a trial. When the install is finished boot up the pc, run setup from the vista dvd and tell it to upgrdae, then enter all the relivant settings including the serial number. It does work do a search on it, even some microsoft staff are quoted on the web telling you how to do it.

I like the way you think mate :)

I've been pricing out some 1TB and 1.5TB Hard drives... prices in the States and Thailand...

Thai prices are equal to or MORE than USA prices....

And the Hard drives are MADE HERE !!!!!!

TIT... Greedy SOBs

CS

They are indeed made here. the factories and their suppliers are in customs free , export processing zones, or in bonded facilities, so whilst the physical location is in Thailand, they are effectively manufactured off shore, and thus have to be imported for sale to the local market.

I guess the cost of living is cheaper in Thailand which might help compensate for paying bit more for those pc components.

As for HDDs, for WD I've found they are usually comparable to US prices e.g. 1TB caviar green USD90+tax (say 7%)=$96 @34 = 3,264baht compared to 3,200 baht in Panthip (yesterday).

Edited by regedit

I have been researching this week the prices of components for building my own desktop Win-PC and have been shocked at the prices of components here in Thailand.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz US$ 220 ..... TB 9500 ($ 297.00 - 35% more)

TB 9,250

Main Board: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R 775 $ 105 ..... TB 4325 ($ 135 - 20% more)

TB 4,150

RAM Memory: Kingston (4GB DDR2 @ 1066 Mhz) $ 60.00 ..... TB 2010 $ 62.00 (same but speed only 800 Mhz)

Fast DDR2 RAM is not easy to find..most shops max out at 800Mhz. Kingston 800 was TB 490 per gigabyte. I did find a shop with Cosair Dominator RAM 1066Mhz modules at TB 900 per GB.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 275 $ 199 ..... B 10,170 ($ 320 - 60% more)

Asus GeForce GTX 260 TB 7,000

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Super-Clocked TB 8,300

Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium $ 139.00 ..... TB 6990 ($ 218.00 - 57% more)

Same - TB 6,990

Hard Drive: WD 1TB 7200RPM Black

TB 3,400

Optical Drive: Phillps 22x DVD Reader-Writer

TB 800

Power Supply: Silver Stone 650 Q-Fan

TB 5,500

I had a chance to price components and actually see what was available in terms of selection today. The prices in blue above were quoted for cash, I did not dicker or ask for any discounts as I was just getting quotes today. A final build price might be a little less. These prices are at Tuk Com, Pattaya...prices in Bangkok are likely a little less.

With just the above components, the price is just shy of TB 40,000. This price does not include a monitor, OS, keyboard, or mouse. IMO, the above system is mid high-end gaming/entertainment system...but it's getting up there in price.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe