Bank Offering Car Loan To Foreigners

hondo

Regarding Budged and Avis:

It's always all marketing to catch customers. Must tell the whole story. You can't rent for this price, it for let's say only one or two month. So i called up, to know. Avis didn't pick up their phone. Budged answered me. Yes 500 Baht per day, but minimum rental time is one year ore more. this is a 180'k per year. You have to pay some deposit as well, to make sure you keep the contract, don't got the answer, about how much deposit money, yet. They say, they will call me back. They give only "private insurance", no commercial (no rental car insurance). This is what the lady on the phone told me. Personally I don't know how they gonna handle this in a serous accident, because any of this "free first year insurance" is for private use only, not for rental purposes. This is always written on the insurace policy. In this case, they don't really make any profit, but they can use customers to pay their cars, as the private insurance is for free anyway in the first year. Big companies like them lease their cars as well, the monthly payments are between 9'000 and 12'000 Baht for 3 to 4 years, after a down payment of let's say 20%. So after 4 years the car is payd off during the rentals and the value of the vehicle is their profit.

But for 180'k you can try to make a down payment on a new car easly, and pay in rates every month, so in the end of the years it's yours and if you sell you get at least the half price back or even more. So at least some money would come back. Just need tto have the balls to register NOT in your gf's name.

During 5 years of payments, it will of course be cheaper to buy a car on finance rather than rent one. Cause after 5 years you own the car. However there is a big difference in picking up a new car at Budget at 15.000 baht/month and reserve a guarantee on your creditcard for another 30.000 baht, rather than coming up with 180.000 baht downpayment and paying 12-15k a month to finance.

The fact is Stingray, 12-15 k baht/months new cars are available without any further deposit. The insurance is good, since its a registered longtime rent, like if you finance in Tisco.

Edited by katabeachbum

Allways this rumours. 9 to 15'k. I waiting the first car rental company who rent their cars for free. Budget takes 32'000 Baht for a Jazz. Vios is not even on their homepage.

Avis takes 21.000 for 15 days or 27'000 for 27 days for a Vios automatic. If want to know a monthly price i get the follow text on my screen:

Sorry, reservations for more than 28 days are not available on the offer you have selected. Please try an alternative Special Offer. We apologise for this inconvenience. (GB-GB-E0038)

Herz is absolutely useless. I think only peaple with a special university degree can handle their homepage. Sure some company have some special promotions, but noone gives a new car for a third of their price what is written on their homepage.

I used to use Q-Cars in Pattaya who do have the full commercial insurance and even today, they have motors (not new I agree) for 16k (Honda City). You can get that down a bit I'm sure and if you were going to do some regular business then you'd expect a further discount. Net net, I'd expect something on the lines of 10-12k a month if I were doing it regularly for a few months a year.

Allways this rumours. 9 to 15'k. I waiting the first car rental company who rent their cars for free. Budget takes 32'000 Baht for a Jazz. Vios is not even on their homepage.

Avis takes 21.000 for 15 days or 27'000 for 27 days for a Vios automatic. If want to know a monthly price i get the follow text on my screen:

Sorry, reservations for more than 28 days are not available on the offer you have selected. Please try an alternative Special Offer. We apologise for this inconvenience. (GB-GB-E0038)

Herz is absolutely useless. I think only peaple with a special university degree can handle their homepage. Sure some company have some special promotions, but noone gives a new car for a third of their price what is written on their homepage.

I used to use Q-Cars in Pattaya who do have the full commercial insurance and even today, they have motors (not new I agree) for 16k (Honda City). You can get that down a bit I'm sure and if you were going to do some regular business then you'd expect a further discount. Net net, I'd expect something on the lines of 10-12k a month if I were doing it regularly for a few months a year.

Q-Cars, yes 16'k, but this model city look like 10 years old. New cars cost 22'k/month

More detailed information about the 15'k Baht options of a 1 year car rental contract.

As i sayd before: Mosthly it's all about catching customers

Just to explain why i doing this: We do car rentals as well therefore i'm interested to know what other companies doing. So after all, i really toke my time to contact Budged, regarding their ads in the BKK Post and got answers.

This morning i got emailed the documents for the 15'k rates of Budget and it looks like they do this options only for companies. If i want this deal for 15'k over a year, have t provide them my Copies of Passport Drive License, WORK PERMIT and Company document. It look to me that the 15'k doesn't include the VAT. They want a four month bank statement to aprove i have proper income or enought founds in LOS.

So everything doesn't look easy to me. If you really like to know the details, you can pm me your emailaddress and i can forward you Budget's email i got.

So i guess the 299 Baht, wich is 10'900 per month is the same thing. For 15'k you get a Vios or City at Bugdet Car Rent on a 1 year contract, i guess, but for 10'900, you get maybe what? A 399'000 Baht Proton Savy or a Tata??? I don't know. In this case the prices make sense.

farang can not borrow money to buy a car. Period.

In any case, first you need a bank account. Good luck with that !

This is not a true statement. We just sat down with the Toyota dealer and I, as a US citizen, can provide employment pay statements and proof of income from my work in the US and can get a Thai loan to buy a new Vigo HiLux at 830,000baht with 50% down. I do not work in Thailand. I have a Marriage B-Visa.

I am married to a Thai woman, and perhaps this helps. But she is not employed (we have a one-week old baby and she stays home now).

We opted to investigate more, but the general manage of the dealership said 'no problem, krap'.

Have your GF or wife call "Peter" at 089 8447163. Toyota Krungthai.

Edited by johnnymoretti

I have the impression car selling companies stretch the rules.

Is there somebody who knows the actual legal rules about farangs buying a car, depending on the types of visa?

I live with my gf since 3 years. I have a one year visa with 850K. My first buy was a Yamaha Nouvo. First salesman said no problem, you can have on your name if you pay cash. I went to ask at police station, got clear answer: Not possible. So I bought it at my gf's name and paid cash. She never drives it. After two years her father started to use it occasionaly to go to the village.

Next we bought a Nissan pickup. Again some salespeople said no problem if you pay cash, we put it in your name. I learned quickly that would mean lots of problems with car book and insurance.

Solution: The car is in her name. I paid 70% cash. The lady pays the rest in monthly installments. She drives as good as I do, maybe more careful . I always carry a paper in the car with a copy of her ID and the message that she allows me to use the car.

If ever our relation ends, I see it this way:

I will have lived three wonderful years with her. I had a very good car and a beautiful time. I do not have the hassles with insurance, docs and other stuff. She can keep the car or sell it. I will not need a car in Thailand anymore.

Krung Thai Bank worked for me with 25% down.

If you don t have a Thai Guaranteur then you will have to put 50% down....

Hi there,

I understand getting a car loan from local finance company is very difficult, at best. I don't work in Thailand but I go through it often enough to consider buying a car and keeping it with my girlfriend :) . Is there any bank in Thailand that offers loans to foreigner to buy a car? I want to be named owner of the car.

Anyone know what is the annual road tax for the very small Honda Jazz?

Any clues?

Any help deeply appreciated

Hondo

Hi there,

I understand getting a car loan from local finance company is very difficult, at best. I don't work in Thailand but I go through it often enough to consider buying a car and keeping it with my girlfriend :D . Is there any bank in Thailand that offers loans to foreigner to buy a car? I want to be named owner of the car.

Anyone know what is the annual road tax for the very small Honda Jazz?

Any clues?

Any help deeply appreciated

Hondo

Dear Hondo,

Please send me your address so I can come to you and hit your over the head!!! :)

If you buy a car in Thailand, do it under your own steam... do not leave it with your girlfriend, do not put it in her's or someone else's name, etc. etc. not matter how much you "LOVE" each other... now.

It just sends the wrong message and will make it more difficult and more expensive for the next guy she has sex with if she thinks it is that easy to get a car from a man.

If you are looking to make payments it means you cannot afford to 'waste' money in this way... SO DON'T!!!

Smartest thing you have done is join ThaiVisa...NOW READ A COUPLE OF THOUSAND BAD RELATIONSHIP STORIES BEFORE YOU SPEND A SINGLE SATANG!!!

If you really really really need to buy a car and want to establish credit and get a loan...put the amount you want to borrow in a Bangkok bank like Citibank or HSBC or Bank of America savings account... then arrange a 'passbook loan' using your savings as a collateral guarantee. You may need to speak with a few bank officers a that branch before they will do it...but once it is done...getting credit cards and other loans down the road are much easier with them.

Good Luck

Good point!

Sometimes financing is smarter though! If the car loan is, say, at 3% and you can make 10 to 15% in dividends from stocks. Ya! Ya! Dividends can disappear and so can the value of a stock! I know! But, since the stocks were bought at a low price and the companies have good fundamentals, it is highly unlikely that dividends would shrink or the stock would plummet (and vanish). Actually, in this environment it is possible that in a few years the yield on your investment could increase as the stock value increase!

So, you are saying buy/finance the car in your own name. I agree! At least you will have something if she leaves you! Having the best insurance would be smart too of course!

I would think you would want to insure the car in your own name too. Normally that's what I do in my home country and no one else drives my car. But, in LOS, is that the right course of action too, knowing that she will drive the car and she has little experience doing so?

Edited by rethaired

Is there somebody who knows the actual legal rules about farangs buying a car, depending on the types of visa?

I live with my gf since 3 years. I have a one year visa with 850K. My first buy was a Yamaha Nouvo. First salesman said no problem, you can have on your name if you pay cash. I went to ask at police station, got clear answer: Not possible. So I bought it at my gf's name and paid cash. She never drives it. After two years her father started to use it occasionaly to go to the village.

Next we bought a Nissan pickup. Again some salespeople said no problem if you pay cash, we put it in your name. I learned quickly that would mean lots of problems with car book and insurance.

Solution: The car is in her name. I paid 70% cash. The lady pays the rest in monthly installments. She drives as good as I do, maybe more careful . I always carry a paper in the car with a copy of her ID and the message that she allows me to use the car.

I will have lived three wonderful years with her. I had a very good car and a beautiful time. I do not have the hassles with insurance, docs and other stuff. She can keep the car or sell it. I will not need a car in Thailand anymore.

You have been lied to and led down the proverbial garden path. Loads of guys are told this crap so they put everything in the Thai persons name. Everyone is in collusion and probably getting backhanders for peddling such brasen lies.

I love your statement that she allows you to use a vehicle you paid for and you have to have a note from her in the truck saying that you have her permission to use it. You are a dream find for the Thais.

I have the reciept of the road tax if you dont believe me... I know that some companies will put on a surcharge for the "work" that they have to do... same as my insurance farce...

To sum this thread up in one go...

Foreigers can borrow money to buy a car, easy way is to go through a finance company.

They do require a deposit on your car of 30-40-50% depending on the finance company, and the sales person.

I put down 30% on my car, no guarantee on that...

Never put the car in someone elses name, even if they have an accident you will not be responsible, the driver will be so if you are not in the country, well, that should not be a problem. Just make sure that the person driving the car has a drivers permit (license)...

My GF have several times smashed my cars (nothing serious) and everytime I have fixed it it has been with a smile and friendly humor at the insurance companys site... They really don't care about the money they spend fixing it...

Give your GF a car sounds nice, I did, then she started taking the piss out of me so I just turned around and sold it, that showed her, now she is back to her normal self. She can use my car when I am not driving it...

There we go, that was 2 pages in one post.!

I have the reciept of the road tax if you dont believe me... I know that some companies will put on a surcharge for the "work" that they have to do... same as my insurance farce...

Foreigers can borrow money to buy a car, easy way is to go through a finance company.

They do require a deposit on your car of 30-40-50% depending on the finance company, and the sales person.

Never put the car in someone elses name, even if they have an accident you will not be responsible, the driver will be so if you are not in the country, well, that should not be a problem. Just make sure that the person driving the car has a drivers permit (license)...

My GF have several times smashed my cars (nothing serious) and everytime I have fixed it it has been with a smile and friendly humor at the insurance companys site... They really don't care about the money they spend fixing it...

Give your GF a car sounds nice, I did, then she started taking the piss out of me so I just turned around and sold it, that showed her, now she is back to her normal self. She can use my car when I am not driving it...

I have a 6 months' tourist visa and have been coming to LOS for the last 3 years in the same manner. I am not 50. I am not married, but have a GF.

I would like to buy a car, but would like to finance as I can make more money investing my money in stocks. What are my chances of being able to finance it? Can someone recommend me a decent financial company just in case the dealerships do not want my money! :)

Thanks.

Edited by rethaired

I have a 6 months' tourist visa and have been coming to LOS for the last 3 years in the same manner. I am not 50. I am not married, but have a GF.

I would like to buy a car, but would like to finance as I can make more money investing my money in stocks. What are my chances of being able to finance it? Can someone recommend me a decent financial company just in case the dealerships do not want my money! :)

Thanks.

Tanachart and Tisco independent.

Honda leasing. Toyota leasing.

40-50% down peace of cake if you have a bankbook track for more than 6 months with income or balance 3 times higher than monthly payments. More money/turnover in bank, lower down. Less than 25% down, thai guarontor normally required.

4x4 suvs and trucks normally require at least 25% down with thai guarantor.

Start with the dealers, they want to sell and work with finance (to get salesman commision for finance).

4x4 suvs and trucks normally require at least 25% down with thai guarantor.

Re Thai guarantor...not strictly true, maybe the first time you purchase but any further new 4X4's with same finance company generally do not require a Thai guarantor, this is certainly my experience...have bought two new 4X4's over the last 4.5 years...first one needed the guarantor, second one didn't

farang can not borrow money to buy a car. Period.

In any case, first you need a bank account. Good luck with that !

I have bought three cars and all on finance in Thailand. you need to have worked for a certain amount of time in the same company, you need minimum 20% down payment and you need a Thai National as Garantee. its not too hard, I would know as I have done it three times.

You don't require a Thai guarantor with a 50% down payment..We purchased an older model BMW this way and both me and my wife are foreigners. We got the financing through the dealer and it was also not a new car..It went through a reputable finance company and not a bank...Look into lease companies as they are more commonly known here..

You have been lied to and led down the proverbial garden path. Loads of guys are told this crap so they put everything in the Thai persons name. Everyone is in collusion and probably getting backhanders for peddling such brasen lies.

I love your statement that she allows you to use a vehicle you paid for and you have to have a note from her in the truck saying that you have her permission to use it. You are a dream find for the Thais.

You must have had some bad experiences in Thailand. I had one too. I made it simple. I cut my losses and walked out. Nothing was in my name, so no problem.

Now I have met a decent wife, from a decent family.She earns a good salary. Like many Thai people she is not very good at handling money. So she gives me her salary every month. I decide what we do with it and what we buy. I double her salary every month. We live like kings. When I go back to Europe, she has bank cards for my European and Thai accounts. I have cards for her accounts. We live together now for more than three years. She has never done anything about money without consulting me. I give her pocket money whenever she asks for it.

If you live with somebody who expects more than you have or than you are ready to share, or who thinks farangs produce money whenever they visit the bathroom, go away, taking only the clothes you are wearing. Many farangs do not know, but there are housands and thousands of decent ladies in Thailand who try to find a farang husband, ladies with good education, who realise that the aspirations of the average Thai man are not the same as theirs. Of course, you do not find them often in a bar.

Though, I am sure there are some ex-barladies who make fine wives, the majority does not. Their horizon is very limited and most of them expect what they have been taught about farangs and the phantasies they share while working at the bar. But I am sure this subject has been dealt with sufficiently on this forum.

Fyi: the paper I have in the car permitting me to use the car which is in the name of my wife (officially and really because she pays 30%), is there only for me to use whenever I meet a police man who gets difficult. I want to add here that I (30 years regular visitor and now living here) have never met a policeman who did anything wrong (except twice, on my first trip ...). When I make a mistake, I think it is normal I pay, I always get the paper.

I am happy here with my wife and her family. Whenever I want, I go back to Europe for a few weeks, confident that what I leave here is been taken very good care off.

Last: if you can prove that my Thai wife is lying to me and cheating (like you say very lightly, I feel), I will give you 50.000 THB. If you can not, you will apologize to her. Deal?

Of course, you do not find them often in a bar.

The problem with this forum is a certain percentage have never spend time with someone from outside the above location.

It look like the title of the topic has changed now. But here my few cents:

Barlady or not, it's all the same. It's not worth to make a university degree to work on a 6'k job in Big C. Than it's better and smarter to be a barlady. There are in every profession good and bad ones. I see many ex barladies, they are sucessful and own their own business. Of corse this can only do if no family sucks from the business. I'm not a good boy. With 15 years Thailand expiriences i had a couple girlfriends and the only one who cheated me for a couple millions was the one who never worked in the bar.

As a rough guide, my truck costs about

Depreciation - 100k

Insurance - 30k

Tax - 10k

Servicing - 10k

Maintenance - 20k

Total 170k

I haven't gone into finance as it is a more complicated calculation and these are very rough figures but they prove a point. If the OP wants a car, he could hire one for about 10-15k a month and not have any ownership or finance hassles. It depends on how much he wants to give his GF a car to drive around in, how much he trusts her etc.

Car Rent, new one for 10'k with correct rully rental insurance, comercial type? where is it? look like somebody gets cars for free to rent them for 10 grand a mount.

BKK Post, 9-15 k month. Avis, Hertz, Budget, TVR.

Vios, City.

Stingray is right; if you want a better deal go and see "Expat Motors". Good service and better deals. I know as I am renting a car from the company at present.

Some news from Chiang Mai (Honda and Toyota) and buying a car.

I've tried the 2 Toyota dealers. For one, it took a lot of persuasion and a phone call to the manager to persuade the saleswoman to give me 30% financing with a Thai guarantor, consulate paper for residence, and of course a bank account with money in. Of course, this was agreed verbally and who knows if tomorrow I will not get a different story. With the other dealer, I could not speak to the manager, but the saleswoman and another person (whose role was not ascertained, since their English was not strong enough) indicate a foreigner on a tourist visa could NOT buy, no matter the kind of arguments I threw at her.

Honda: I must give a 50% deposit, but I did not talk to the manager.

I have yet to visit the other dealership.

I will keep people informed of the development.

You must have had some bad experiences in Thailand. I had one too. I made it simple. I cut my losses and walked out. Nothing was in my name, so no problem.

Now I have met a decent wife, from a decent family.She earns a good salary. Like many Thai people she is not very good at handling money. So she gives me her salary every month. I decide what we do with it and what we buy. I double her salary every month. We live like kings. When I go back to Europe, she has bank cards for my European and Thai accounts. I have cards for her accounts. We live together now for more than three years. She has never done anything about money without consulting me. I give her pocket money whenever she asks for it.

If you live with somebody who expects more than you have or than you are ready to share, or who thinks farangs produce money whenever they visit the bathroom, go away, taking only the clothes you are wearing. Many farangs do not know, but there are housands and thousands of decent ladies in Thailand who try to find a farang husband, ladies with good education, who realise that the aspirations of the average Thai man are not the same as theirs. Of course, you do not find them often in a bar.

Though, I am sure there are some ex-barladies who make fine wives, the majority does not. Their horizon is very limited and most of them expect what they have been taught about farangs and the phantasies they share while working at the bar. But I am sure this subject has been dealt with sufficiently on this forum.

Fyi: the paper I have in the car permitting me to use the car which is in the name of my wife (officially and really because she pays 30%), is there only for me to use whenever I meet a police man who gets difficult. I want to add here that I (30 years regular visitor and now living here) have never met a policeman who did anything wrong (except twice, on my first trip ...). When I make a mistake, I think it is normal I pay, I always get the paper.

I am happy here with my wife and her family. Whenever I want, I go back to Europe for a few weeks, confident that what I leave here is been taken very good care off.

Last: if you can prove that my Thai wife is lying to me and cheating (like you say very lightly, I feel), I will give you 50.000 THB. If you can not, you will apologize to her. Deal?

My maths and understanding must be playing up because I don't get it - still.

You say your wife earns a good salary but you have to take it off her because she cannot handle the management of money but then you go and give her double her salary ? why ? I'm assuming that you don't compound double her salary each month or she'd be on billions by now.

The argument was that you could have had the car in your name and you don't need a piece of paper from her saying that you are allowed to drive it, even if you don't pay for it, which you do.

Never met a policeman who did anything wrong ? then you did twice, some time ago ? but you think it is normal you pay and you always get the paper ?

You can convince yourself that you cannot own a vehicle or get one on finance with a 70% deposit but the real world knows different. If the reason you did things the way you have done is because someone told you that was the only or safest way to do so they you have been fed lies. Simple as.

• 3 weeks later...
Some news from Chiang Mai (Honda and Toyota) and buying a car.

I've tried the 2 Toyota dealers. For one, it took a lot of persuasion and a phone call to the manager to persuade the saleswoman to give me 30% financing with a Thai guarantor, consulate paper for residence, and of course a bank account with money in. Of course, this was agreed verbally and who knows if tomorrow I will not get a different story. With the other dealer, I could not speak to the manager, but the saleswoman and another person (whose role was not ascertained, since their English was not strong enough) indicate a foreigner on a tourist visa could NOT buy, no matter the kind of arguments I threw at her.

Honda: I must give a 50% deposit, but I did not talk to the manager.

I have yet to visit the other dealership.

I will keep people informed of the development.

Note the bank account has to be a Thai bank account which BKK bank allows tourist to open (and only BKK bank), according to the consulate in CM. BTW, I did not go through the whole motion with Toyota and so would not know if their story and requirements would change when it comes to sign papers. Also, the guarantor business is not so easy. Read the following paragraph for info. So, caution.

At Honda, not so easy, since my GF is not a regular public employee and cannot be a guarantor. She would need to find a guarantor and that is not something a lot of people want to do (for obvious reasons, since they might be responsible, to some degree (which I am not clear on)). The 40 to 50% figure seems correct, as requested by the dealership.

Another way to go about it, is to have a floating transfer of car form signed by the GF whose car is under her name. Get all official copies of contract AND official registration of the car which you can obtain once you get a paper from the immigration or consulate/embabssy of your residence in Thailand. I have yet to go through that process. I will let people know. So far, it is not clear if I was given the right form as residency forms are usually about permanent residency request. I will let people know of my progress.