Dark Side Experience

Lancelot

I've been living on the Dark Side, AKA East Pattaya for about six months. I'm always on the look out dor a new place to eat, whether is be a simple noodle shop or a restaurant featuring western food.

Anyway, I stumbled on a couple of restaurants that made me wonder if I was still in Pattaya. (Reference to a bar/restaurant in Soi 8 that I was abused for simply looking towards the kitchen area in expectation of my meal...) The first restaurant I want to praise is Chok Dee, a little place located on Soi Kao ta lo, near the Villa grocery store. My first visit there I was the only customer and they showered me with attention. The Thai food is excellent -I especially like the kai jeow (scrambled eggs) and they also have western food as well. The owner, Khun Ann, was anxious to please and sat at my table, asking if the meal meet my expectations and eager for tips on improvement. Yes she actually wanted feed back, be it positve or negative.

The second place is on Soi Kao ta lo, opposite the new and empty market about half way to Sukumvit RD. My first visit was two days ago and I ordered grapao moo chin with egg (spicy pork) and a large Leo. The owner (?) Khun Wan talked to me for a long time; she is keenly aware of the global economic slowdown and seemed anxious to keep and, if possible, add to her customer base. I went back today and ordered Schwein Schnitzel with fries and a large Leo. Total damage was B154. What a bargain! Interesting thing happened while I was there, one guy without both oars in the water could not pay his bill and said he would pay tomorrow. Khun Wan seemed embarrased by it and reassured the customer that it was fine to pay tomorrow. I later over heard her explaiing to another customer that she saw the guy walk by every day and she felt that he would honor his debt. If he didn't, she was not going to worry about it...

Man, hats off to both of these hard working and HONEST Thai business operators; I certainly hope that their business ventures prosper :)

Welcome to the "Farside" Lancelot...glad you are settling in okay and finding many of the wonderful places to eat over here. However, may I suggest you give more specific directions to restaurants you recommend. Saying a place is half-way up Sukhumvt Road opposite some market would not help many livng over here find the place. Also, try to give us a name, which will make places easier to find. :)

Also, are aware of the ongoing thread about eating places on the Farside? It has almost 900 posts and covers many places to eat over here. If you find more good places, you might want to post on that thread so that information on places to eat can be found in one place.

Nice to hear a positive review from Pattaya for a change, it's getting very depressing hearing about places ripping people off all the time. Hope that these places get a good boost from your comments.

What is the Dark Side like in general, are people and places a bit more user friendly than the city?

Yes check out the long thread about the darkside. I found several good places from that thread. My favorites so far are chonlada's coffee house on soi siam country club accross from sp village 3. That one is very close to my house so I am there at least twice a week. Best coffee on the east side. She doesn't do take out for coffee so sometimes I bring my own cup and take it away if I don't have time to stop and drink it there. Good food and good prices. My husband and I like sure park on soi 24 off soi nernplubwan. It's our favorite on the east side. The steak is good and the prices are good. We've been to courtyard. It's okay. The food is okay and the prices are okay. It's also very close to our house so we go there once or twice a month. We've been to rung thips once on soi nernpplubwan. It was good and I would go there again.

I've been living on the Dark Side, AKA East Pattaya for about six months. I'm always on the look out dor a new place to eat, whether is be a simple noodle shop or a restaurant featuring western food.

Anyway, I stumbled on a couple of restaurants that made me wonder if I was still in Pattaya. (Reference to a bar/restaurant in Soi 8 that I was abused for simply looking towards the kitchen area in expectation of my meal...) The first restaurant I want to praise is Chok Dee, a little place located on Soi Kao ta lo, near the Villa grocery store. My first visit there I was the only customer and they showered me with attention. The Thai food is excellent -I especially like the kai jeow (scrambled eggs) and they also have western food as well. The owner, Khun Ann, was anxious to please and sat at my table, asking if the meal meet my expectations and eager for tips on improvement. Yes she actually wanted feed back, be it positve or negative.

The second place is on Soi Kao ta lo, opposite the new and empty market about half way to Sukumvit RD. My first visit was two days ago and I ordered grapao moo chin with egg (spicy pork) and a large Leo. The owner (?) Khun Wan talked to me for a long time; she is keenly aware of the global economic slowdown and seemed anxious to keep and, if possible, add to her customer base. I went back today and ordered Schwein Schnitzel with fries and a large Leo. Total damage was B154. What a bargain! Interesting thing happened while I was there, one guy without both oars in the water could not pay his bill and said he would pay tomorrow. Khun Wan seemed embarrased by it and reassured the customer that it was fine to pay tomorrow. I later over heard her explaiing to another customer that she saw the guy walk by every day and she felt that he would honor his debt. If he didn't, she was not going to worry about it...

Man, hats off to both of these hard working and HONEST Thai business operators; I certainly hope that their business ventures prosper :)

Always refreshing to read a positive post like yours......there is good service in Thailand alive and kicking!!!..Lets hope they are sucessfull and can ride the economic storm coming out the other end

I was thinking of moving over that way. The only thing that puts me off is the lack amenities. I know there are lots of restaurants and 7 elevens but if you want to go to a supermarket, cinema, gym or decent night life you would have to cross the main Sukhumvit. I might try and find these places, any excuse for drive out into the countryside.

I was thinking of moving over that way. The only thing that puts me off is the lack amenities. I know there are lots of restaurants and 7 elevens but if you want to go to a supermarket, cinema, gym or decent night life you would have to cross the main Sukhumvit. I might try and find these places, any excuse for drive out into the countryside.

There is a small Lotus supermarket located on the dark side. It is just off Sukhumvit between Siam CC Road and Soi Nern Plub Wan and is behind Bangkok Bank.

You can get most of your groceries without having to cross Sukhumvit.

I don't know of any cinemas or gyms but there are a few night life places. Nothing like the Brightside, however.

Welcome to the "Farside" Lancelot...glad you are settling in okay and finding many of the wonderful places to eat over here. However, may I suggest you give more specific directions to restaurants you recommend. Saying a place is half-way up Sukhumvt Road opposite some market would not help many livng over here find the place. Also, try to give us a name, which will make places easier to find. :)

Also, are aware of the ongoing thread about eating places on the Farside? It has almost 900 posts and covers many places to eat over here. If you find more good places, you might want to post on that thread so that information on places to eat can be found in one place.

Thanks MJD. I'll try to do better when giving directions.

I named the first restaraunt, Chok Dee and mentioned it was close to the Villa grocery store (they have tables outside where people can drink beer) on Soi Kao Noi. Its also next to a massage parlor.

The second restaurant I mentioned is on Soi Kao Ta Lo, opposite the large new and unoccupied open air market as mentioned in my op. I have only seen one new and unoccupied market on Soi Kaw Ta Lo, but maybe there are four or five :D I think the name is "Bayern" but I'm not sure. They feature German and Thai food. Its on the same side of the street, and quite near to, the Bank of Ayudhya branch. Best I can do in the directions department :D

Neither place is gourmet dining but the owners were so attentive and eager to please that I felt I had to recommend them. YMMV.

Both restaurants are small and -unfortunately- easy to miss...

Yes, I'll do my duty and post on the ongoing and excellent The Dark Side :D

I know there is a huge thread in regards to where to eat over here on the Dark Side, but to save you (and anyone else) the trouble of sifting through nearly forty pages of postings, I'll reiterate a couple recommended places on Soi Khao Noi.

Cafè Uno - North side of the road, 50 meters before the first 7-11. They feature English food, excellent burgers, pizza any way you want it, a few Indian dishes and free WiFi. They're closed on Tuesdays.

PJ's - 200 meters past the third 7-11 (the first one after the bend), across from Soi 12. Like Cafè Uno food-wise, but more of a pub atmosphere - excellent Thai food, friendly staff, a pool and pool table. Arguably the best cheeseburger in Pattaya, if not Thailand.

There's also a fish and chips place, oddly enough called the Great British Fish & Chip Shop up on Khao Noi past the second 7-11 near the "Villa" supermarket. I have no experience personally, but I hear good things about their kebabs - they use lamb and stuff it inside a pita the proper way (most places roll it up). I'll have to try the fish sometime.

I know there is a huge thread in regards to where to eat over here on the Dark Side, but to save you (and anyone else) the trouble of sifting through nearly forty pages of postings, I'll reiterate a couple recommended places on Soi Khao Noi.

There's also a fish and chips place, oddly enough called the Great British Fish & Chip Shop up on Khao Noi past the second 7-11 near the "Villa" supermarket. I have no experience personally, but I hear good things about their kebabs - they use lamb and stuff it inside a pita the proper way (most places roll it up). I'll have to try the fish sometime.

Would you please go and try the above, then report back as to the quality of the food. should be a laugh. :)

Would you please go and try the above, then report back as to the quality of the food. should be a laugh. :)

it would be also interesting to know whether they use mayonnaise and ketchup as mos places in Pattaya do or an authentic topping...

• 2 weeks later...

There is a good chance that I will be moving over to the Dark Side soon so I have been having a good look around, managed to find some of the places mentioned above. Must say I was surprised on what I found, plenty of resto's cafes and a bit of night life. Even managed to find a gym, couldn't find a cinema but I'm sure that will come in time. I did take a look at some very good deals on houses, the only thing that's bothering me now is about safety in this area.

What's the general feeling about the area, is it as bad as everyone says? I only went around on my motorbike in the day time but I can't say that I felt threatened at all. Maybe they come out at night!

Also I passed the "Villa" supermarket but did not go inside, anyone know if this is an imported goods type shop?

i kinda live on the darkside, between the train tracks and sukumvit, we eat on khao talo and there's some nice small places around, good food and good prices.

speaking of economic times, my girl is an office worker and she pitty's the westerners who she sees walk past her office every day and buys sticky rice for breakfast every day and the other westerners who ask her to borrow money for food...

on the topic of Great British Fish & Chip Shop - i went there a couple of weeks ago and had their fish... out of ten for the whole experience i'd give it a 3. I wont be going back.

There is a good chance that I will be moving over to the Dark Side soon so I have been having a good look around, managed to find some of the places mentioned above. Must say I was surprised on what I found, plenty of resto's cafes and a bit of night life. Even managed to find a gym, couldn't find a cinema but I'm sure that will come in time. I did take a look at some very good deals on houses, the only thing that's bothering me now is about safety in this area.

What's the general feeling about the area, is it as bad as everyone says? I only went around on my motorbike in the day time but I can't say that I felt threatened at all. Maybe they come out at night!

Also I passed the "Villa" supermarket but did not go inside, anyone know if this is an imported goods type shop?

Never had any problems or felt threatened in all the time I have lived there day or night. As long as you have your wits about you and do not look for trouble (same as anywhere really) you will be fine. I would not move anywhere else.

on the topic of Great British Fish & Chip Shop - i went there a couple of weeks ago and had their fish... out of ten for the whole experience i'd give it a 3. I wont be going back.

Your girl seems to have a vivid imagination

Never had any problems or felt threatened in all the time I have lived there day or night. As long as you have your wits about you and do not look for trouble (same as anywhere really) you will be fine. I would not move anywhere else.

The area around Mabprachan (Soi Siam Country Club) is very attractive but unfortunately the roads are very ill-lit at night and once you get that far from the Sukhumvit (about 3-4 kms) I would certainly advise the use of a car rather than a motorbike if travelling home late at night.

The area around Mabprachan (Soi Siam Country Club) is very attractive but unfortunately the roads are very ill-lit at night and once you get that far from the Sukhumvit (about 3-4 kms) I would certainly advise the use of a car rather than a motorbike if travelling home late at night.

i think the darkness begins right after you round the corner where Chonlada and Route 66 are. however, i routinely drive my bike home very late (2-3am) and haven't had any ill-doings. i'll be honest, i do take note of any approaching bikes coming up behind me. when it's that late, there is no one on the roads, so i'm typically pegging my shit Fino at 100kmh. poor thing can barely make maintain...

Same for me, I ate there once and doubt I'll go back...

• 2 weeks later...

i live on the darkside , have done for 6 years now . for me , sure park steak house is the business as is annes garden in soi khao noi , cafe uno is not bad either as is the dao cafe .

but in all honesty , the darkside is no place to enjoy a night out . its boring , dull , and disappointing .

there are few bars of quality , there are few girls in the bars if thats your thing , but worst of all there is very little in terms of transport and the bars and restuarants worth visiting are well spread out .

so do yourselves a favour and take the trouble to go into town , at least in town the world is your oyster unlike the darkside , which is not worth the visit .

i live on the darkside , have done for 6 years now . for me , sure park steak house is the business as is annes garden in soi khao noi , cafe uno is not bad either as is the dao cafe .

but in all honesty , the darkside is no place to enjoy a night out . its boring , dull , and disappointing .

there are few bars of quality , there are few girls in the bars if thats your thing , but worst of all there is very little in terms of transport and the bars and restuarants worth visiting are well spread out .

so do yourselves a favour and take the trouble to go into town , at least in town the world is your oyster unlike the darkside , which is not worth the visit .

maybe people like living there for its quietness and more relaxing appeal ....town is ok for a night out ..but youd get pissed off with the same thing going on all the time

maybe people like living there for its quietness and more relaxing appeal ....town is ok for a night out ..but youd get pissed off with the same thing going on all the time

yes , that is why i live there , but this thread is about the overall experience and apart from living their to escape from the bright lights of pattaya itself , it has nothing to offer .

Wouldn't happen to have a few recommendations for bars on the bright side would you Mulphy :):D

Wouldn't happen to have a few recommendations for bars on the bright side would you Mulphy :):D

yes mate lots and lots .

all depends what you want . if you want music , dancing , food , drink and cabaret all rolled in to one , then you ll struggle to do better than the moonriver bar on north pattaya rd .

if you want a relaxing pint of guinness in a no hassle bar at great prices then try maggie mays on soi chaiyapoon .

modern busy , hostess bar , with loads of great looking hostesses , try utoo bar on 2nd road .

you want great live music , then its the blues factory soi lucky star .

open air bar in popular soi 8 , try the cherry bar and its ever popular boss hammer .

you want a coyote experience in a very modern , well fitted out hostess club with great music , then try club blu on the corner of soi buakhou at soi l. k metro .

if its gogo bars you want then youve got around 100 to choose from , my own preferences being the windmill , babydolls , mistys , peppermint palace , champagne a gogo and club oasis .

the list goes on and on and on and on .

Edited by mulphy

Went back to the Great British fish and chip shop the other night. ( soi Kaw-noi )

Said I would never do that again, but <deleted> was a bit hungry, and a few changs down the neck. :D

Only had chips, they were good, thick cut, not greasy, a nice flavor. and well cooked. :)

So something has changed for the good, from a few months ago. :D