Can Foreigner And Thai Wife Be Buried In Same Cemetery

tomahawk

I know of Chiang Mai Foreigner Cemetery, but is there a cemetery in Chiang Mai or anywhere in Thailand where Christian foreigner and Buddhist Thai woman can be buried in same cemetery? Thank you.

If I remember correctly isn't W.A.R Shaw, the guy who wrote Consul in Paradise buried in the Chiang Mai Cemetery with his Thai wife, not sure if she was a Christian though.

There is also another Cemetery close to the Foreign Cemetery with a lot of gravstones with Thai Characters, There's an interesting one there with a dedication from the CIA to one of there Thai field agents.

I've told the wife to bury me in the backgarden when I go.

So basically I can't help you :)

If I remember correctly isn't W.A.R Shaw, the guy who wrote Consul in Paradise buried in the Chiang Mai Cemetery with his Thai wife, not sure if she was a Christian though.

Is that the Foreign Cemetery? (Wonder if the spirits argue about the best pizza?)

Do you have to be Christian to take up residence there?

Is that the Foreign Cemetery? (Wonder if the spirits argue about the best pizza?)

I think that most of those who argue on TV about hamburgersand pizzas will be arguing that the pizza is overcooked as the flames are too hot where they will end up.

I know of Chiang Mai Foreigner Cemetery, but is there a cemetery in Chiang Mai or anywhere in Thailand where Christian foreigner and Buddhist Thai woman can be buried in same cemetery? Thank you.

That’s a strange question to ask.

Are you and your wife planning some sort of suicide pact or something?

post-11344-1246642934_thumb.jpg

Thank you to those who gave me legitimate advice. I will check on this. I appreciate it.I do not think it is a strange question and am not planning on suicide. Some people who answered this are apparently already embalming themselves . To be cremated probably just need to light a match and breathe on it. Perhaps the silence guy should remain that way.

I think that the cemetary was for people who wanted to be buried rather than cremated. I am sure that if the wife was cremated her remains could be buried there too.

I'm surprised that no-one from the Foreign Cemetery has set you straight by now. So I'll do it for them. To be buried (or have your ashes buried) in the Foreign Cemetery, all that is required (apart from being dead) is to have someone else pay a few thousand baht and to be 'foreign', ie not Thai.

W.A.R.Wood's wife was born Thai but changed her nationality to British, which is why she qualified to be laid in the mausoleum there, next to her husband.

Any foreigner of any religion, or none at all, qualifies to occupy their few square meters there, the only Thai soil they will ever truly own!

I'll take this chance to plug the very interesting (and often amusing) book 'De Mortius' (of death) which is sold around town to help with cemetery funds. It has at least a few lines on the occupants of almost all the plots, and is effectively a social commentary on NW Thailand expat life, and of course death, since the occupant of grave A1 rode into town on his horse, terminally ill.

If you can't find the book anywhere else, it will certainly be sold at the Gymkhana Club, just round the corner.

I think the other cemetery with lots of white crosses, furthur south on the same side of the same road (CM-Lamphun Rd) is for Roman Catholics of any nationality.

And the best place in hel_l to get burgers and ribs

No you can be any faith or not.

I told the family I want to be cremated and the remains shot up into the sky by bamboo rocket - else wait for the Tuesday rubbish collection and put me out in a cardboard box.

CB

Watzit matter where you're burried anyway......you're dead. I've always entertained the fantasy of having someone just dig a hole in my backyard and composting my remains and planting a mango tree in my memory.....doubt that any Thais would eat my fruit tho.

That’s a strange question to ask.

Are you and your wife planning some sort of suicide pact or something?

We are all going to die sooner or later so why is it such a strange question, most people have a will and in it you will find instructions as to how and where ones final resting place will be.

book 'De Mortius' (of death) which is sold around town

sounds like an interesting read on a very 'lively'subject will keep an eye out for it.

Must visit the yard out at the Gymk Club one day...in fact ...must visit the club itself....been reading about old W.A.R.Wood (Willie Wood) in the last copy of City life....interesting chap ..wot :)

Also found a small + cem out by Mae-on ..past the golf Club on the RHS in the road to CR....will have a closer looksee next time.

I think that the cemetary was for people who wanted to be buried rather than cremated. I am sure that if the wife was cremated her remains could be buried there too.

I'm surprised that no-one from the Foreign Cemetery has set you straight by now. So I'll do it for them. To be buried (or have your ashes buried) in the Foreign Cemetery, all that is required (apart from being dead) is to have someone else pay a few thousand baht and to be 'foreign', ie not Thai.

W.A.R.Wood's wife was born Thai but changed her nationality to British, which is why she qualified to be laid in the mausoleum there, next to her husband.

Any foreigner of any religion, or none at all, qualifies to occupy their few square meters there, the only Thai soil they will ever truly own!

I'll take this chance to plug the very interesting (and often amusing) book 'De Mortius' (of death) which is sold around town to help with cemetery funds. It has at least a few lines on the occupants of almost all the plots, and is effectively a social commentary on NW Thailand expat life, and of course death, since the occupant of grave A1 rode into town on his horse, terminally ill.

If you can't find the book anywhere else, it will certainly be sold at the Gymkhana Club, just round the corner.

I think the other cemetery with lots of white crosses, furthur south on the same side of the same road (CM-Lamphun Rd) is for Roman Catholics of any nationality.

Good Morning,

My name is Richard Abbott, assistant secetary of the CMFC. Other members of the comittee include , Allen Tucker, Ron Rae and Peter Dawson. Our telephone contact numbers are available at the notice board at the cemetery.

To help you guys along in queries and noticing some of the comments of other posts there is some misunderstanding of the status of the cemetery.

Only Thais with foreign passports (presuably those with dual nationalities) can be buried in the cemetery. This is explicit in the rules set out 110 years ago and stipulated in the gift of deed to the British Consol who still remains the custodian by Rama 5. The local commitee acts on behalf of the consul.

The cemetery has plots available for both cremetations and full plots interments.

The cemetery is not necessarily and Christian cemetery but a foreign cemetery. We require a copy of the death certificate and passport. As well we appreciate an obituary on the persons life for any updated publications of Demortius - the history of the foreign cemetery.

There are old copies of DeMortius edition 5 still available at the Cemetery with the caretaker who is residence there all the time. However we expect to publish edition 6 with an update covering the last 10 next month. We will make an annoucment on Thai Visa when the new publication is available.

Best regards

Richard

The cemetery is not necessarily and Christian cemetery but a foreign cemetery. We require a copy of the death certificate and passport. As well we appreciate an obituary on the persons life for any updated publications of Demortius - the history of the foreign cemetery.

Interesting.

As the consul holds the deeds presumably it is British Soil.

I wonder how the Anti DIscrimination Acts apply

Interesting.

I think the foreigner can only own the cross, foreigners cannot buy land remember :) Edited by imaneggspurt

Interesting.

The exact conditions are that (1)the Consul is the custodian of the land which was a gift into perpetuity, (2) that the land may never be sold and that (3) the land may only be used for burial of the bodies of foreigners.