How Many Checked Luggage?

gobkk

i read about an expat who goes to los with up to 11 checked luggage.is it possible for one person to have so many checked luggages?i plan to have 2 checked luggages and 1 carry on bag and 1 computer bag.the airlines seems to have a 2 checked luggage limit so is the 11 checked luggages allowed by him paying extra fees?

i read about an expat who goes to los with up to 11 checked luggage.is it possible for one person to have so many checked luggages?i plan to have 2 checked luggages and 1 carry on bag and 1 computer bag.the airlines seems to have a 2 checked luggage limit so is the 11 checked luggages allowed by him paying extra fees?

All the airlines go by weight, so as far as I know it's as many bags as you like but usually anything over 20 Kilos is extra, alot extra! So it probably cost him a fortune if it was heavy stuff!

All the airlines go by weight, so as far as I know it's as many bags as you like but usually anything over 20 Kilos is extra, alot extra! So it probably cost him a fortune if it was heavy stuff!

it probably will cost more than the extra clothes and shoes i wanted to bring along so will just ship it with my household stuff.plus lugging all those suitcases would be inconvenient.

does anyone know if there are shipping companies with which i can load up myself and lock it and then when it arrives i can unlock it?

Wrong answer Shola "all the airlines DO NOT GO BY WEIGHT" If you think that an airline is gonna accept eleven 1.8 kilogram bags you must have just arrive from Mars or somewhere equally off the planet.

And there are many airlines (Thai being one of them) who do not impose excess baggage rates when you are over 20 kg's

Some posters give the impression that they have only flown once in their lives and this is on the way to LOS

"all the airlines DO NOT GO BY WEIGHT" If you think that an airline is gonna accept eleven 1.8 kilogram bags you must have just arrive from Mars or somewhere equally off the planet.

And there are many airlines (Thai being one of them) who do not impose excess baggage rates when you are over 20 kg's

Depends on airline and the route flown. A rough guide is that if you fly from or via the States you will probably be allowed 2 pieces, each piece no more than 36 kg.

Fly from anywhere else you will be limited to a total weight of between 20 and 25 kg in Economy, higher limit in Business and First. Another hint is to join the airline's frequent flyer programme - Gulf allow members an extra 10 kg. I suspect even Thai would impose a charge if you took the p155 and turned up with 40 kg. British Airways quoted 37 quid per kilo LHR > BKK, one way. There is no limit on number of pieces of luggage, within reason. Check the airline's website.

It really depends on the airline. Just try to check in all your items. All airlines have rules but do not apply them. I used 14 different airlines in the last 5 years flying 300 000 miles and could always add extra weight and luggage without paying extra fees. A friendly approach always helps :o , a frequent flyer card helps sometimes and lots of small extra items can be checked in free. On some long distance flights I checked in 25 kg overweight and 6-8 items without problems. This is my experience.

Corrupt custom's officer and his lackeys.

Duty on 10 yrs old audio tapes I made myself et al..... :o

I had only just arr'd in the Kingdom and didn't know any better. :D

Were you already on an extended Non-Immigrant visa ?

No, and Thai Visa hadn't been born yet, I was a 30 day tourist with many visa runs in front of me.... :D 5 years ago.

Depends on airline and the route flown. A rough guide is that if you fly from or via the States you will probably be allowed 2 pieces, each piece no more than 36 kg.

Fly from anywhere else you will be limited to a total weight of between 20 and 25 kg in Economy, higher limit in Business and First.  Another hint is to join the airline's frequent flyer programme - Gulf allow members an extra 10 kg. I suspect even Thai would impose a charge if you took the p155 and turned up with 40 kg. British Airways quoted 37 quid per kilo LHR > BKK, one way. There is no limit on number of pieces of luggage, within reason.  Check the airline's website.

Another rule on most US travel is that each checked bag has to weigh less than 50 pounds or you will be charged extra. So you really need to read the fine print (even if it is not in the fine print - as in my case when airline put this rule into effect on my day of return travel with no notice - last time I ever fly Alaska).

Corrupt custom's officer and his lackeys.

Duty on 10 yrs old audio tapes I made myself et al..... :o

I had only just arr'd in the Kingdom and didn't know any better. :D

Were you already on an extended Non-Immigrant visa ?

No, and Thai Visa hadn't been born yet, I was a 30 day tourist with many visa runs in front of me.... :D 5 years ago.

Ya have to have an extended visa to get exemptions. 20/20 hindsight vision is a wonderful thing :D

You can check in as many pieces as you wish up to a combined weight IF the route is using a weight allowance. For those routes (normally US and Canada) that use pieces, you are allowed a number of pieces up to certain sizes and weights.

On weight routes, business class and first class are normally 30 KG and 40 KG and frequent flyer cards can double that limit as well depending upon the card and its level. For example, a SQ PPS card holder could get away with checking almost anything in and he/she would not be charged anymore, however if you dont have the PPS card, SQ will make you pay for everything over 20KG.

Maximum I have ever checked in is 89KG in 9 boxes and suitcases between 2 people and SQ did not charge me anymore thanks to my PPS card.

But for USA/Canada the weight rule is applied, being in general 20/30/40 kgs for Y/C/F classes respectively.

For premium pax, i.e. business and higher the check in staff got rules in their computers that are not published. For ex. to accept from business class passengers additional 8 kgs without making problems.

Payment of overweight is calculated as 1 % of the applicable first class one-way ticket price per kg. Should you have extreme overweight, I suggest to alert the airline before. For ex. I put once a staffmember on a flight from Asia to Europe, 1 suit case plus 250 cartons @ 10 kgs, total checked 'luggage' over 2.5 tons. Yes, we alerted to carrier b4 to assure the space and got a discounted overweight rule.

Being a member of the carrier's loyality program gives you usually another 10 kgs minimum when flying eco, 15 kgs in business a.s.o.

So checking in with a carrier where you a a gold card member and paid for business you might safely calculate 30 kgs fuer business, another 15 for gold card, 8 kgs tolerance, total 53 kgs.

With 1 point the airlines are now very strict, weight per piece not over 32 kgs, which is to porotect the baggage handlers from injuries. Also hand luggage you carry on board should not be over 7 kgs.

Last but not least, being friendly helps a lot. Smile at check in, apologize for the over weight, 'you know I live over there and my suitcase is full of the food stuff I cannot buy'. No guarantee but usually it helps, at least for a big discount.

But for USA/Canada the weight rule is applied, being in general 20/30/40 kgs for Y/C/F classes respectively.

For premium pax, i.e. business and higher the check in staff got rules in their computers that are not published. For ex. to accept from business class passengers additional 8 kgs without making problems.

Payment of overweight is calculated as 1 % of the applicable first class one-way ticket price per kg. Should you have extreme overweight, I suggest to alert the airline before. For ex. I put once a staffmember on a flight from Asia to Europe, 1 suit case plus 250 cartons @ 10 kgs, total checked 'luggage' over 2.5 tons. Yes, we alerted to carrier b4 to assure the space and got a discounted overweight rule.

Being a member of the carrier's loyality program gives you usually another 10 kgs minimum when flying eco, 15 kgs in business a.s.o.

So checking in with a carrier where you a a gold card member and paid for business you might safely calculate 30 kgs fuer business, another 15 for gold card, 8 kgs tolerance, total 53 kgs.

With 1 point the airlines are now very strict, weight per piece not over 32 kgs, which is to porotect the baggage handlers from injuries. Also hand luggage you carry on board should not be over 7 kgs.

Last but not least, being friendly helps a lot. Smile at check in, apologize for the over weight, 'you know I live over there and my suitcase is full of the food stuff I cannot buy'. No guarantee but usually it helps, at least for a big discount.

You are a smoothie Axel. :o

Axel, USA/CANADA use the piece system, 2 pieces up to 32 kg each from memory and there are restrictions on the sizes of those pieces. This would apply to any flight within or to the USA/Canada. Weight system is used pretty much everywhere else in the world.

And there  are many airlines (Thai being one of them) who do not impose excess baggage rates when you are over 20 kg's

I've been behind somebody at Thai Check-in who got an excess baggage bill of £1,400, and they were in first class. (Admittedly they had something like 150kg).

Most airlines, long haul to the UK anyway, will allow 20kg officially in economy, and will generally not charge (unless the plane is truly full) so long as you're under 30kg.

I would second what one of the other posters said, and recommend signing up for the frequent flyer program. - Gold card on Thai gets you an extra 20kg, over and above what you get for the class you're travelling in, and you can get silver with a single return to the UK, so that's 10kg extra on the next trip...

Personally, the most I've ever checked in with was when we moved out here. - 140kg. But we were 2 adults, a child and an infant, so we had 80kg anyway, add in that my wife, and eldest daughter had silver cards at the time, and I had a gold card, and we were permitted 120kg anyway, and being nice, and since we were travelling with an infant, they let us off with the other 20kg.