Carry-on madness

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Very happy to be back here, I left Melbourne when it was 13 C, not counting windchill.

Hoping to survive a plague carrier seated next to me, who coughed continuously from Melbourne to Singapore. The Singapore - Bangkok leg had a howling infant a few seats away. The joys of air travel.

i had the joy of being sat next to a monster of a man from toyko to toronto last week - 12 hour flight. he took up about 25 percent of my seat. one positive was the plane was 777 so i had plenty of leg room.

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Very happy to be back here, I left Melbourne when it was 13 C, not counting windchill.

Hoping to survive a plague carrier seated next to me, who coughed continuously from Melbourne to Singapore. The Singapore - Bangkok leg had a howling infant a few seats away. The joys of air travel.

People will be jealous given the hellish heatscape that is Bangkok and Thailand. I am enjoying the cool Melbourne weather. But when I go to Thailand in coming weeks I have 14 kg carry on rather than normally half of that which means 2 decent sized bags so saves me having to pick up bags later. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

add a couple of large Krispy Kreme boxes. Eat s##t and die.

Yeah, mystifying. Like a generic donut freely available at any Central Mall.

The power of branding -huge with our Chinese friends.

Also: Toberone chocolate bar -ever knowingly bought outside of Duty Free?

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have just recently flown with a certain LCC from London Stansted to Boston via Rejkavick and they are now charging extra for luggage to go into the overhead lockers.

They have 2 of those luggage frames at check-in desks and again at the boarding gate.

1 frame is used to test luggage dimensions for the overhead locker and a smaller frame is used for luggage that should fit under the seat in front of the passenger.

They were rigidly enforcing this requirement at both positions (Check-in and again at Boarding Gate) and anyone who had not prepaid for hand luggage/overhead compartment were being charged 90 Euros..

There were arguments all over the place and the flight was delayed by over an hour because of this nonsense..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I always favored the scales method, where the passenger stands on a scale with ALL their luggage etc and are charged per total weight of everything including them, not individual parts of it.

What airline does that?

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If you need to ask that question, perhaps you are not one of them.

You already know I’m not normal.  I actually agree for a change with most of your post.

IMG_1592.thumb.png.bae31a7d4f0377c4ee0fe096969adbe4.png

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, G_Money said:

You already know I’m not normal.  I actually agree for a change with most of your post.

But please don’t show your bum.

IMG_1592.thumb.png.bae31a7d4f0377c4ee0fe096969adbe4.png

I used to fly business class on the company dime, and when prices were reasonable pre-COVID. Even in business class, there were still people with outsize cabin luggage. Perhaps they did not want to wait at a carousel.

Don't worry, the probability of me actually having to bare my bum is vanishingly small.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Yeah, mystifying. Like a generic donut freely available at any Central Mall.

The power of branding -huge with our Chinese friends.

Also: Toberone chocolate bar -ever knowingly bought outside of Duty Free?

I tried a Krispy Kreme - once. It seemed to be an amalgam of fat, carbohydrate, and sugar.

Duty Free nowadays appears to be an oxymoron, everything in there is too expensive.

I don't drink, smoke, or use perfume, so I am a poor target.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

I have a huge pet peeve about these people who have indestructible hard case carryons. And then they slam them in the bin, as if everyone’s luggage was hard case. And seriosuly push and jam it in. People bring fragile items on the plane. That’s the whole point. And these people assume everyone’s luggage is hard case. I could let loose on one of these morons one day

No actually YOU are missing the point.

The entire POINT of hard shell cases is to protect fragile items.

If you have fragile items, then get a hard shell.

OR ... you can wrap it in bubble wrap.

But YOU are missing the whole point if you expect your opponents to bring soft shell suitcases not to damage YOUR crap. 

Nobody cares about your crap. People care about their own crap 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, save the frogs said:

No actually YOU are missing the point.

The entire POINT of hard shell cases is to protect fragile items.

If you have fragile items, then get a hard shell.

OR ... you can wrap it in bubble wrap.

But YOU are missing the whole point if you expect your opponents to bring soft shell suitcases not to damage YOUR crap. 

How many hard shell cases would fit in the frame at every gate? My answer is damn few.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, stoner said:

i love these 2 scenarios as well.

1 - good morning passengers we will start boarding flight f2....they can't even finish announcing it and the majority of people stand up and line up.

2 - plane lands the wheels stop and instantly most stand up grab their bag and literally try to get up the rows to get out. ahhh the door isn't even connected yet never mind open. 

Try flying on the internal Chinese airlines.  On landing, as soon as the wheels touch the runway the passengers are up and out of their seats, grabbing their stuff from the overhead lockers.  Once at the gate they all make a dash for the toilets.  I was told by a 'reputable' authority that they are reluctant to use the on-board toilets as there is a dragon hiding in there.  Hence, on landing they are all bursting to go to the loo.  Quite funny to see but not at all safe.  The airline staff seem not to give a hoot.

• Haha 2