Forced Waiing

yabaaaa

Occasionally I am in a situation where i might give a small kid a sweet or something (Gary Glitter fans turn away now) and the parents then ask the kids to thank me and force the poor little buggers to wai me physically grasping their hands and clasping them together for them. Why cant they just say Kop Khun Krab? I must admit I dont like the bowing and scraping.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Occasionally I am in a situation where i might give a small kid a sweet or something (Gary Glitter fans turn away now) and the parents then ask the kids to thank me and force the poor little buggers to wai me physically grasping their hands and clasping them together for them. Why cant they just say Kop Khun Krab? I must admit I dont like the bowing and scraping.

You as an experienced Thailander i've got ask <deleted> are waiing kids for?

My wais are very guarded and not given away easily i cringe when i see farangs throwing more wais than "MyThai gf & money" TV posts

Forced wais are funny in blighty the parents would be arrested for physically abusing their kids!

He's not waiing the children, they are waiiing him.

A wai is seen as very polite, these parents are just teaching their kids to be polite and about Thai customs. Its not bowing and scraping.

If you don't want kids to wai you, stop giving them sweets.

He's not waiing the children, they are waiiing him.

A wai is seen as very polite, these parents are just teaching their kids to be polite and about Thai customs. Its not bowing and scraping.

If you don't want kids to wai you, stop giving them sweets.

Agree here. I think it's nice that the parents want to teach their offspring social manners. When given a Wai, whether genuinely felt or fake, the receiver should at least acknowledge it, and I don,t mean you necessarily have to wai back, a nod of the head and a quick smile would suffice.

Personally I don't wai anybody, save for my wife's parents, not just because of my respect for them, but they are older than me.

It is just being polite, I always get my daughters to wai when they are given something or when they go to school and leave school. They both know not to wai in London and that it is a Thai thing not an English thing. They still sometimes do it in London though which is met which great appreciation by everyone.

Edited by bravingbangkok

OMG :) , you are going around giving out lollies to children.....uncle fester springs to mind. You may expect a visit from the BIB. :D

They are teaching the children good manners and respect, its a good thing.

The amount of outright and blatant brainwashing which goes on here under the guise of the ever elusive and most likely mythical thing known as "thai culture" is enough to wobble the mind.

I have all too often seen thai parents forcing their children into wai'ing. Most of these children are so young they have no idea what they are doing, nor possess the motor skill development to carry out the maneuver. It is sad really.

On the rare occasion I am wai’d; I discount it as a ‘thai thing’, and either nod back or totally ignore it.

While off topic (yet still concerning the penchant for wais); my motto is' "wais are for thais", and in over 4 years here I've never wai'd a single person in this country, and probably never will. Of course not being enamored by, enchanted with, or endeared to either this country or its native inhabitants I choose to ignore most things the foreign wannabe-thai sock-puppet contingent tries to pawn off as thai culture.

I also always cringe when I see what I call "wai-crazed foreigners". Anyone whose lived in thailand for any length of time has seen them too. They are the morons who are wai'ing the doormen, service staff in restaurants, go-go bar workers, limbless street beggars, and the occasional soi dog thrown in for good measure. I usually ask them; "Why wai, are you thai?"

The amount of outright and blatant brainwashing which goes on here under the guise of the ever elusive and most likely mythical thing known as "thai culture" is enough to wobble the mind.

I have all too often seen thai parents forcing their children into wai'ing. Most of these children are so young they have no idea what they are doing, nor possess the motor skill development to carry out the maneuver. It is sad really.

On the rare occasion I am wai'd; I discount it as a 'thai thing', and either nod back or totally ignore it.

While off topic (yet still concerning the penchant for wais); my motto is' "wais are for thais", and in over 4 years here I've never wai'd a single person in this country, and probably never will. Of course not being enamored by, enchanted with, or endeared to either this country or its native inhabitants I choose to ignore most things the foreign wannabe-thai sock-puppet contingent tries to pawn off as thai culture.

I also always cringe when I see what I call "wai-crazed foreigners". Anyone whose lived in thailand for any length of time has seen them too. They are the morons who are wai'ing the doormen, service staff in restaurants, go-go bar workers, limbless street beggars, and the occasional soi dog thrown in for good measure. I usually ask them; "Why wai, are you thai?"

I am sorry I think this is rubbish, waiing is part of greeting in Thailand just like we shake hands in the west. I do not see westernized Asians in the west not using this form of greeting (hand shaking), do you ?

This is Thailand, and if you want to be polite and have some respect for the country, it's people and their tradition then there are certain times a wai should definitely be used. I would agree with you though that waiing should not be used so lightly as I have seem some farang do.

Fair enough though if you have no respect for cultures other than your own, free country and all. The questions begs to be asked why are you still here ?

Ps. Both my daughters could wai beautifully from a very young age.

Edited by bravingbangkok

It's no different to parents forcing their children to say "please" and "thank you". The fact that one is verbal and the other is physical is irrelevant; what matters is that children are taught how to get along with those around them. If you think children shouldn't be taught this, fair enough, but please make sure your children have no contact with other people. Ever.

On the rare occasion I am wai’d; I discount it as a ‘thai thing’, and either nod back or totally ignore it.

If that's true, you're a selfish, self-indulgent fool. Whatever you feel about your environment, extending a little courtesy to those around you costs nothing.

Waiing is part of Thai culture, get used to it. Thais are generally more formal and often more polite than westerners, and it is considered good parenting to encourage children to wai their seniors upon receiving any gift.

OMG :) , you are going around giving out lollies to children.....uncle fester springs to mind. You may expect a visit from the BIB. :D

? From your avatar, I thought YOU were Uncle Fester!

So is this the same as being in say Malaysia when you meet a muslim, he shakes your hand and then touches his chest/heart with the same hand? Would you do the same back ?

In principle, I don't see why not but I've never been to Malaysia so I'm not sure what the deal is. After all, I'd expect a Thai in England to shake my hand, not to wai me and to think the opposite (ie that an Englishman/woman in Thailand should wai) doesn't mean one has to be a "foreign wannabe-thai sock-puppet".

Edited by Gerontion

But is that then not a bit strange as you are not a Muslim ? Would you not feel uncomfortable doing it for no other reason than mimicry, or trying to fit in ? Its to do with their religion and culture, same as a wai, but its not ours.

The real answer as to why some here won't show ANY courtesy to others by giving such a simple thing as a wai is . . . pride, full of themselves in this generation. As I have seen the degeneration in the USA from the term "policeman-woman" to "cops" to "pigs". I hope Thailand will continue to have a culture of respect to some degree, and a "wai" is certainly part of that.

But is that then not a bit strange as you are not a Muslim ? Would you not feel uncomfortable doing it for no other reason than mimicry, or trying to fit in ? Its to do with their religion and culture, same as a wai, but its not ours.

It's not about 'ours' and 'theirs', at least for me.

And I think I'd feel considerably more uncomfortable if I refused to acknowledge the customs of those I was associating with.

? From your avatar, I thought YOU were Uncle Fester!

Hehehehehehehe,,sorryyyy "Fester" U just have to get a new 1 now. :D

Waiing is part of Thai culture, as i live in thailand i find it normal.I didn't have the feeling to lower myself when doing it. I show repect to people as they do to me in the thai way.

I learn to my children how do it and when to do it because i believe that showing respect is a one of the fundamental basis of their education.

Edited by isanb

On the rare occasion I am wai'd; I discount it as a 'thai thing', and either nod back or totally ignore it.

I am sorry I think this is rubbish, waiing is part of greeting in Thailand just like we shake hands in the west. I do not see westernized Asians in the west not using this form of greeting (hand shaking), do you ?

This is Thailand, and if you want to be polite and have some respect for the country, it's people and their tradition then there are certain times a wai should definitely be used. I would agree with you though that waiing should not be used so lightly as I have seem some farang do.

Fair enough though if you have no respect for cultures other than your own, free country and all. The questions begs to be asked why are you still here ?

Ps. Both my daughters could wai beautifully from a very young age.

I totally agree with these sentiments :)

my kids, as young adults, even in israel, when meeting with thai workers, wai/and or offer to shake hands... i usually give them an elbow hint that they should do it... its polite, its friendly, it shows they are in tune with whom they speak...

the same as our kids learn NOT to offer to shake the hands of a male/female who is visibally orthodox religous , IF they are of the opposite sex....

and we all taught our kids to say: how are u? , thank you, please, etc, and wave bye bye as we grab their hands and do the bye bye thingy...and to stand at attention for the national anthem and to stand at ease when told to (on official days like memorial day- even three year olds know to do that because we help them physically stand and place their hands behind their backs, or at their sides etc. ) motorically unable? give me a break, really... most westerners place their kids in highchairs before the kid can really sit properly also....

i always got wais from my nieces and nephews when they went out the door to school--they all live with one sister in law, and upon their first greeting to me when arriving back. i always acknowledged them with a polite nod and answer to each, to reinforce their politeness.

bina

israel

This is kind of a non-subject really isn't it. You either show respect and/or are polite or not. Slamming others for deciding to be the former or for trying to instil manners in their children is rather absurd IMO.

I understand some people are here because their work send them here and feel no attachment to the culture, but others of us are here because the culture appeals to us - if that makes us wanna-be-Thai-puppets or wahtever, then fine label me as you wish - I'll not loose an ounce of sleep over it.

Waiing is part of Thai culture, get used to it. Thais are generally more formal and often more polite than westerners, and it is considered good parenting to encourage children to wai their seniors upon receiving any gift.

These are wise words and teaching children the do's and don'ts in life are every parents duty.

To MikeSoi11 you have to come up with a better answer than "if you don't like it go home". From your previous posts you have just arrived. Don't fall into the trap of everything in Thailand is perfect and if you complain you should go home.

Thailand is amazing and does have many good things and bad things. Questioning these things is not a bad thing. The OP was asking why, although he couldn't understand why.

My poor 4 year old son, being luuk-krung and bilingual, is having to learn when to wai and when to shake hands, when to say please and when to say krup, who to call Pi and other small items like showing the headmaster respect. Poor child...