Starter Motor Repair Shop .......

Next time my starter motor needs fixing I would like to take it myself to

the shop and watch it being repaired . This is for peace of mind rather trying to avoid

the extra 1000 baht or so my normal garage will add on.

My question is does anyone know a shop in Pattaya that actually does the repair ?

Thanks,

Jack

the shop and watch it being repaired . This is for peace of mind rather trying to avoid

My question is does anyone know a shop in Pattaya that actually does the repair ?

Thanks,

Jack

As en autoelectrical engineer i doo all this repairs, 25 years ago. Locals aren't very good to repair starters, But the main problem is the parts. Usually we don't get any parts here, like bendix, correct copper bushes, starterrelays, etc. Only carbons can be replaced. So therefore ususaly local workshops just replace a second hand starter and not repair. Easy and fast to replace and the car can use immidently (not loosing time). About the additional 1000 Baht, you have to understand they need time, labour, to take the starter of your engine and put it back. So i guess 1'000 Baht isn't to much for that job, especially if you have a car with front wheel drive, where it is difficult to take it out and install it back. Personally i wouldn't do it for 1'000 Baht. There is only one typ of startermotor or alternator wich i prefere to repair: Bosch. For Bosch alternators and Startermotors you can order any parts from Bangkok. Bosch (Audi, VW, etc) is very expensive, therefore it is better and cheaper to overhaul them.

• Like 1

Thanks,

Jack

As en autoelectrical engineer i doo all this repairs, 25 years ago. Locals aren't very good to repair starters, But the main problem is the parts. Usually we don't get any parts here, like bendix, correct copper bushes, starterrelays, etc. Only carbons can be replaced. So therefore ususaly local workshops just replace a second hand starter and not repair. Easy and fast to replace and the car can use immidently (not loosing time). About the additional 1000 Baht, you have to understand they need time, labour, to take the starter of your engine and put it back. So i guess 1'000 Baht isn't to much for that job, especially if you have a car with front wheel drive, where it is difficult to take it out and install it back. Personally i wouldn't do it for 1'000 Baht. There is only one typ of startermotor or alternator wich i prefere to repair: Bosch. For Bosch alternators and Startermotors you can order any parts from Bangkok. Bosch (Audi, VW, etc) is very expensive, therefore it is better and cheaper to overhaul them.

Thanks to Stingray and Datsun - you have both answered my question very well . I suppose I was lucky to get a Audi 80 s/motor repaired for 3500 baht . Anyway hopefully it will be ok for a while . Wonder what a new one costs ?

Jack100

I had an alternator repaired, and yes he did strip it down and replace parts as i went back to see if it was ready and it was being worked on.

This cost me 800baht in Bkk.

I removed and refitted it myself.

Thanks to Stingray and Datsun - you have both answered my question very well . I suppose I was lucky to get a Audi 80 s/motor repaired for 3500 baht . Anyway hopefully it will be ok for a while . Wonder what a new one costs ?

Jack100

New Starter motor cost 13'000 Baht for a Audi e 80

New alternator (bosch 12 Amp.) cost about 12'000 baht

I know this prices as we use many Audi parts. A ovarhauled Bosch si like new. Should be working fine.

Jack100

New Starter motor cost 13'000 Baht for a Audi e 80

New alternator (bosch 12 Amp.) cost about 12'000 baht

I know this prices as we use many Audi parts. A ovarhauled Bosch si like new. Should be working fine.

Thanks Murf , looks like I got "not a bad deal ' , repaired s/m works fine , new Audi prices - phew . !

Jack.

• 6 months later...

I do NOT have a starter motor problem. I have a ceiling fan whose motor is kaput. Do you know any shop able and willing to repair it and what's your best guess as to the range of the cost? If it's less than 1,000 baht, I'm willing to take it to a repair shop. If not, I'll have to buy a new one for around 2,000 baht...

Thanks,

Jack