4,000 Traffic Policemen To Prove They Know The Rul

fire and ice

4,000 traffic policemen to prove they know the rules

More than 4,000 traffic policemen will be given a test today in which those scoring less than 80 marks out of 100 will be taken off traffic duty.

Pol Maj-Gen Montri Jamroon, deputy metropolitan police chief, said the test has been prompted by complaints from motorists, who claimed many traffic policemen were not proficient in traffic regulations, and were unable to answer questions raised by drivers accused of breaking the law.

Full story click here

------------

This one got me laughing! Whilst I see this sort of stuff in Thailand all the time, I still can't get my head around the idea that they don't need to score 100% to be up to standard! :D I mean they are considered "okay" if they get 20 wrong! .....so if 1 in 5 tickets are illegally issued then that's okay.... :o

In Australia you can't even get a learner's driving licence if you get more than 2 wrong out of 30 road-rule questions, but in Thailand you can work full time issuing tickets if you get 20 wrong from 100. Priceless!

When I was in primary school in the Los Angeles area, so many years ago, we had a visit from a California Highway Patrolman. He gave a talk on auto safety, which we all probably ignored. But, he did a pretty impressive stunt. He told us that all CHP personnel were required to memorize the vehicle code. To prove it, he passed around a copy and we were told to either recite a section or state a section number. To a recited section he could give the precise code number. Given a code section reference he could recite the entire section. I guess he would have scored %100.

If this were the USA, I would test them on the proper procedures for donut consumption!

Over here, I think they should ask the boys on brown how a motorist is supposed to present a bribe properly: Step 1- Fold a 100 baht note in half and hold it underneath your driver's license. Step 2- Gently hand both the license and the banknote to the corrupt officer and observe while he takes the note, puts it in his pocket and hands your license back. Step 3- Tell him to have a nice day then drive off. :o

The traffic law here is such that paying the guy off is a heck of a lot easier than having to go the following day or so to retrieve your license at a police station which could be in another province.