Toyota Vigo 4/4 Service And Oil Change @ 10k

Dealer said next full service @ 10K, but I notice that the oil @ 7,400 Km. is already dark, actually almost black.

This is my first pickup -- help appreciated. :o

Is it sensible to go for an oil/filter change every 5K?

When checking oil level is it correct to assume that none should be added if the level (for either hot or cold engine) is between the 2 markings on the dipstick?

For such a relatively new vehicle should the other fluid levels be checked weekly/monthly?

Tire pressure -- what's recommended?

Best anti-theft device?

:D

best anti theft device is a rottweiller :o

actually with my car and truck they say every 5k for oil change, i think its cos its so dusty here, my airfilter on my truck i have to change every 2 to 3 months, but its a tiny little one cos there werent enough room under the bonnet to fit the proper one when they put the new engine in.

although with oil i think maybe the quality maybe lower here...

All cars burn oil.Some(same model) burn more than others for no ryme or reason.

However,I would call Toyota HO and ask to speak to somebody that speaks good english.If you don't get any luck, then speak to somebody at toyota in your home country.

Back home I know a couple of people that know alot about cars.The first thing they do with an expensive MV is change the oil to a high quality one.normally triple the price of standard motor oil.They also change oil and filter more often than recommended. :o

Every 5000 Kms for my truck.

I was in an Isuzu that had done over 900,000 Kms from new, still has the original gearbox and engine, the guy that owns it changes the oil every 4000 Kms.

If only more people did this.I mentioned in a previous post that I have a good friend that has a rental car business.They are getting way inexcess of 200,000KMS out of their 1300cc and 1600cc motor vehicles for this very reason.

Edited by chuchok

Dealer said next full service @ 10K, but I notice that the oil @ 7,400 Km. is already dark, actually almost black.

This is my first pickup -- help appreciated. 

for the vigo they recommend (for dusty conditions i.e.thailand) 5000km oil and filter changes
When checking oil level is it correct to assume that none should be added if the level (for either hot or cold engine) is between the 2 markings on the dipstick?

correct

For such a relatively new vehicle should the other fluid levels be checked weekly/monthly?
check them weekly just to make sure that your new car isnt leaking any vital fluids

4 door double cab 4wd...2.0 bar /29psi front and rear loaded and unloaded.

Best anti-theft device?

the immobiliser that comes as standard is good but a determined thief will have the electronic gadget that overrides the codes.

any mechanical locking system that will take a thief 10 minutes to force should be enough to prevent the thief even trying.

Every 5000 Kms for my truck.

I was in an Isuzu that had done over 900,000 Kms from new, still has the original gearbox and engine, the guy that owns it changes the oil every 4000 Kms.

If only more people did this.I mentioned in a previous post that I have a good friend that has a rental car business.They are getting way inexcess of 200,000KMS out of their 1300cc and 1600cc motor vehicles for this very reason.

Service manager today confirmed that changing the oil every 5K is indeed the smarter way to go. Sounds good to me -- well worth it @ 917 Baht for oil/filter/labor combo.

This is my first pickup -- help appreciated. 

for the vigo they recommend (for dusty conditions i.e.thailand) 5000km oil and filter changes

correct

check them weekly just to make sure that your new car isnt leaking any vital fluids

4 door double cab 4wd...2.0 bar /29psi front and rear loaded and unloaded.
Best anti-theft device?

the immobiliser that comes as standard is good but a determined thief will have the electronic gadget that overrides the codes.

any mechanical locking system that will take a thief 10 minutes to force should be enough to prevent the thief even trying.

Much obliged. :o

I was asked whether I wanted the "full synthetic" or the "semi-synthetic" -- prices are 3,300 & 1,300 resply. Couldn't get any satisfactory explanation of the actual difference in quality so I stuck with the "semi" -- your thoughts on whether the "full" is twice as good or ? :D

I would stick to the semi, full is not worth the extra.

One of the things that degrades your oil is the very high temperatures reached in the turbo. This is why you need good quality oil for your Vigo.

Also let the engine run for a bit at idle before you switch off, this will let the turbo cool off a bit and help prevent the oil degrading

I would stick to the semi,  full is not worth the extra.

One of the things that degrades your oil is the very high temperatures reached in the turbo.  This is why you need good quality oil for your Vigo.

Also let the engine run for a bit at idle before you switch off,  this will let the turbo cool off a bit and help prevent the oil  degrading

Thanks for that -- actually the Toyota salesman in Phuket did mention "running the engine at idle" -- I like your explanation; makes sense.

:o

I have a new 4 door Vigo which was delivered with tyres at 40 psi. I nearly lost it when back end skipped out when i hit a bump on the highway near Buri Ram at about 100k's.

From that experience it is obviously very dangerous to drive with pressure too high-fortunately I am very experienced 4wd driver and was able to get it back onto the road but frightened the daylights out of me.

The tyres have an inscription stating that maximum pressure is 44 psi but the recommendation on the door pillar is 29 psi or 2.2 bar.

Enjoy your Vigo. They are a great car.

Cheers,

Bicko

I have a new 4 door Vigo which was delivered with tyres at 40 psi. I nearly lost it when back end skipped out when i hit a bump on the highway near Buri Ram at about 100k's.

From that experience it is obviously very dangerous to drive with pressure too high-fortunately I am very experienced 4wd driver and was able to get it back onto the road but frightened the daylights out of me.

The tyres have an inscription stating that maximum pressure is 44 psi but the recommendation on the door pillar is 29 psi or 2.2 bar.

Cheers,

Bicko

Bicko, have you got the 4WD version?

same with mine , tyre pressures at 40+ on delivery giving a very jumpy ride , dropped them to the recommended 29 and things improved greatly. handbook recommends 29 for 4wd models but much much higher pressures for the 2wd models.

might have to get some relatives to live in the back to weigh it down a bit. :o

lots of questions and complaints on thai radio phone ins and motoring web - forums about high tyre pressures affecting the handling of the 4wd versions.

Yes Dr. John mine is the 4wd -we should remember that these are designed as a working truck and have heavy springs. My wife has a rice farm and I recently carried several bags of rice in the car and it made a world of difference. Farmers in Australia always keep some weight in their pickups to keep the back end from bouncing around too much.

I am a humanitarian aid engineer-have just completed 2 years in Afghanistan and have been posted to Meulaboh on west coast of Sumatra to rebuild houses, roads, hospitals, schools etc etc. We use 6 or 8 cylinder Toyota land cruisers in this work. It will be interesting to make the comparison with this new Vigo.

Driving to BKK today and off tomorrow.

Cheers,

Bicko :o