The Opening-door-for-thais Fallacy

bonobo

I'm rather well know in the supermarkets and other shopping centre, when I'm entering they give me a big smile already 20 meters before I enter the shop, also for the security guards at my condo, simply because I'm one of the great exceptions who say sawasdee and kob khun krab with them.

And that's how it should be. I mean that man stands their maybe day in day out, for a few louzy bucks. And he also has a heart and feelings, either if he hasn't got any money.

You should see the retards in my neighborhood back in Austin. I'd say 80% of folks wear shoes (not even lounging slippers mind you) in their own homes! These are the same shoes they trod all over town in.

:)

% corrected

I wear my shoes inside all the time, I will only remove them grudgingly if I am asked to.

Do you remove your shoes in your office ?

This "experiment" will be completely swayed by where you do this. In a more western style area (Emporium etc) I can see Thais acknowledging door holders. In a dirt poor area with little western influence I can't see you getting the same results at all.

Exactly..

When i'm in BKK, i do at times get acknowledged for doing so, especially in Emporium/Paragon etc..

However, in my local 7 on Samui, forget it, i won't get acknowledged & i'll also get pushed in fron of in the que to top it off but the same person who didn't acknowledge me...

You should see the retards in my neighborhood back in Austin. I'd say 80% of folks wear shoes (not even lounging slippers mind you) in their own homes! These are the same shoes they trod all over town in.

% corrected

I wear my shoes inside all the time, I will only remove them grudgingly if I am asked to.

Do you remove your shoes in your office ?

Of course. And so do everyone else. I have airline/hospital type slippers for all of the staff, just 60 Baht a pair deducted from your paycheck. It keeps everything cleaner even though the floors are mopped and swept up all day anyway... you'd be surprised how many homes in the west vacuum just once a week despite bringing in dog poopoo dust in from all over town on their shoes. IMO that's beyond opening doors for folks, that's like the whole country throwing bags of excrement through the front doors of their own/neighbors/friends' doors.

:D

(my cost is 45 a pair in bulk)

Edited by Heng

I tend to be holding up doors a lot. Sometimes I hold it open up to a minute. :) I would say that about 40% say "thank you". 10% say "kob khon ka/krab". But the other 50% who say nothing at all are not ungrateful. Many girls give me a shy smile. Older people smile a lot too.

I still have a problem with standing up for children...under seven, OK! Over seven, stand on your own feet!

Have you noticed that Young people never act with courtesy to older folk, no matter what country you're from?

Have you noticed that Young people never act with courtesy to older folk, no matter what country you're from?

Last time I was in Bangkok I was on the MRT, there were no empty seats available. A woman in her 50's got on at one of the stations and some kid (14 or 15 years old) immediately got up and gave her his seat which she took without any fuss whatsoever, it was almost as if both of them expected it, I don't think she even thanked him.

Going back a few years the Thais were ever so polite and courteous but now I think the western traits of the foreigners coming here along with television has rubbed off on them. This isnt just a farang thing , this is even the same rudeness amoungst Thais themselves. When any of my wifes family are together , they dont even say hello or goodbye when they leave . If food is given to them , not even a thankyou .

However , some of my Thai friends are very polite and always thank me for my hospitality and for the food that they have eaten. Education again is lacking in the schools I think on the basics of life. How will they ever learn if never shown ? Even to the point of eating with your mouth open and chomping on food like an animal . Very hard to teach the kids when the adults do the same .

And did you notice that the Thai are maybe polite to you, but to their own people they act like an uneducated bunch of selfish people,

When the door man or woman in a shopping mall open the door for them they treat as non existing people. the same behavior to the security guards in INDEX for instance,the always make a whai and say Sawasdee krab, I still have to see the first Thai who even look at them. The same go's for the security guards in their compounds, NOT EVEN THE SMALLEST sign of recognition.

You seems to have some time on your hand so next time you study their behaviour towards sales people and other people in the service industry;

No my friend, if you are not in an higher position as them they treat their own countryman and women as dirt.

I'm rather well know in the supermarkets and other shopping centre, when I'm entering they give me a big smile already 20 meters before I enter the shop, also for the security guards at my condo, simply because I'm one of the great exceptions who say sawasdee and kob khun krab with them.

The Thai social system is very simply, kiss the a**** of the one above you, and ignore the ones who are lower on the food chain.

This is my 35 years experience of study the Thai social standards and behaviour towards their own people.

And you should read the numerous topics about Thai drivers behaviour in traffic, than you can see their real character when you can not see their face behind the dark films of their car. They say its for protection against the sun, well frankly, I believe this is only partially so. they act like barbarians in traffic with a very few exceptions, sometimes I'm even chocked by the behaviour of my own family members who are in generally very nice and polite people;

Thais don't get road rage, they all just look strait ahead and go about there business. They don't mind if people jump in front of them. Thai roads are so much fun.

I have watchesd people from a lot of countries, and it seems Thai is the one which is the most acceptable of picking the nose. Even when they are amongst friends, they do it very openly. I wonder whether Any1 else feels this way too.

Perhaps it is ok to pick your nose in Thailand

You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Heng, that was a wind-up about the 45 baht - 60 baht slippers, wasn't it?

Wasn't it?

Yeah, they are actually on the house, but it's something that many folks around here would expect me to do... along with deducting office supplies and toilet paper from employee pay.

This whole thread seems to based on the fact that "politeness" is some universally understood behavior. Politeness is a cultural thing. People seem to go on and on about "common decent human behavior". There is no such thing. Our interactions with each other are culturally learned behaviors. So many of the posters here just can't get seem to do anything but judge the behaviors of other cultures against their own standards.

Th

I tend to agree with you, but I never let what others do bother me... anywhere, even if they are down right rude. I just figure that is their problem, not mine. It is like driving in traffic in many different locations on the globe. California has road rage, and people shoot each other over the simplest of infractions, whether intentional or not. Thais put up with all sorts of crazy behavior on the part of others and accept it as normal. New Zealanders are some of the friendliest people in the world, but many drive like maniacs on twisty, narrow roads. I think they took lessons from Thai drivers.

What others do doesn't stop me from being polite and helping others. I don't take it as an insult when it's not reciprocated and I hardly even notice. It's like dealing with wild creatures and street dogs, you have to accept each individually.

Thais don't get road rage, they all just look strait ahead and go about there business. They don't mind if people jump in front of them. Thai roads are so much fun.

I've said the same thing many times, and riding a bike in Asian traffic is like playing a real live video game... for keeps. :)

I've said the same thing many times, and riding a bike in Asian traffic is like playing a real live video game... for keeps. :)

Indeed :D

I'm afraid to say sometimes I lose the plot and deliberately barge my way out of a lift or skytrain to point out their infraction. I'm aware my rudeness becomes greater than their rudeness by doing this and I shouldn't do it.