3g Wireless Prices

Kiotic

Basicly, living in on-nut and cannot get a separate line put in as they are using shared i-net for the whole place and lets just say..im pretty pissed off with it cutting out and ****. Also having just 1 login per room, its a bit annoying as i cant use my iphone and gf's laptop at the same time.

will be buying a 3g wireless router and was wondering where to find the price plans for monthly use on the networks, e.g. True etc (Cant find anything on their site). Im in the Uk for a week holiday so I cant really walk in to a true shop atm!!

Thanks in advance

Dan

No 3G HSDPA yet in Thailand, apart from some trial area's.

Chiang Mai is one of them where AIS has a commercial available service, but they work on 900 Mhz which has very little compatible hardware available.

In Bangkok 3G is been trialled by True, but AFAIK not commercially available yet, and in any case only a few antenna's are being used...

Your only hope would be Hutch, which uses CDMA technology. They have parts of Bangkok covered with EV-DO technology, which offers theoretical download speeds of 3.1 Mbps, but practically expect anywhere between 500 and 1500 kbps...

AFAIK Hutch only sells a USB CDMA modem, you normally cannot use outside modems on their network. Price for Hutch is 1000 Baht/month unlimited, the modem I think is around 11,000 Baht, but they had (or still have) a promotion where you pay 16,000 Baht for modem and 1 full year unlimited internet...

I got the same problem of Kiotic in my apartment: no direct tel/internet line, firewall blocking lots of sites [torrents!] and wi-fi signal allowing only one user per account.

Being 3g available only at Siam Paragon and Central World, I had no other solution than to buy 2 accounts every month and go to a coffee shop to download stuff...

Only other possibility is to use EDGE/GPRS running at < 300 kb/s, not that fast, but you can surf quiet ok.

3G was officially being 'accelerated' by the ICT Ministry in May. In June the same ministry put out a statement that it was on hold and we might have it in late 2010. Here's the thread.

Basically its a load of &lt;deleted&gt;. The ICT Ministry's main function is to impede ICT development. If they can get their act together by 2012 I'll be very, very suprised. The government should scrap them because their major function seems to be to impede any form of ICT development. They couldn't find its own &lt;deleted&gt; with both hands.

Edited by Crushdepth

Hi, thanks for the reply's.

Looked at everything you guys said and the best option I found was to do with Hutch, they do a 12,500 lump sum which includes a 12 month paid contract and the usb device, 3.2 speed and looked pretty good. Will test it out when im back. Thanks guys, really appreciate it!!

One other question while im here, I know its Thailand...and they are just trying to get as much money in as they can by not allowing the residents to put in their own separate line so we will purchase from them, but is there actually anything stopping me? It is a bit frustrating when the IT guy comes up to my room when its cutting out 10X per 10 minutes and says yeah, the internet is rubbish, we have asked management but they still havnt gotten back to us. Is there anyone who has got around this problem because I would loooove the 8mg true are giving out now.

PS: I will say again, i know its THAILAND and these problems are just accepted by now as ive lived here for 3+ years, but this has been pissing me off as the apt is perfect 'bar the god awfull internet' and I really do not want to move out (KT Mansion, On Nut).

Hi Kiotic,

It's a bit strange the condo is barring you entirely from a private phoneline.

Most condo's charge a lumpsum to use their cable going from the switchboard to your room.

In Jomtien we used to pay a one time fee of 3500 Baht, for that money the condo engineer would assist the phone company with connecting your new direct number to the cable leading to your room...

Once you have a private phone number, you are clear to get internet on it, the condo would not know about it.

Maybe a chat with management is in order, just push the fact that it is a private phone number you need for overseas calls or incoming faxes or whatever.

If they agree, make sure you get a phone number from a provider able to supply ADSL later on...