Non-o Extension Based On Work

There now seems to be confusion.

Thanks to my business partner I don't have 400,000 to show the government. But I do have a job offer.

OK, I am 41 and have an Australian Passport.

I ws told that you can get an extension of your visa based on having an offer of employment.

How much to you need to be paid ?

I asked Kab Choend immigration and he said he still wanted to see the 400k and have 56,000 a month, this doesn't seem to be correct, or is it ?

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks

There now seems to be confusion.

Thanks to my business partner I don't have 400,000 to show the government. But I do have a job offer.

OK, I am 41 and have an Australian Passport.

I ws told that you can get an extension of your visa based on having an offer of employment.

How much to you need to be paid ?

I asked Kab Choend immigration and he said he still wanted to see the 400k and have 56,000 a month, this doesn't seem to be correct, or is it ?

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Matt I doubt that they'll wear an extension based on an offer of a job only.. If you are on an O based on marriage to a Thai they can ask for income and savings of around 400,000 pa but not 400k plus income.

I know that this won't really help, but I just went to renew my type O, which I originally got by showing I had 200K baht in the bank. As 200k is no longer good enough, I showed them 200K in the bank and 40K+ a month income. They said: No problem! But we're changing you from a type O to a type B! :o

They needed to see at least an application for a work permit as well as an employment contract, etc...

Good luck!

On a letter of employment the Visa type will be for a Single entry Non-Imm B. This is issued on the understanding you will be using this Visa to obtain a work permit.

After you obtain the work permit, you can apply for an extension of stay based the work permit if you salary meets the minimum monthly requirements (50,000 for british, 60,000 for American, Canadian etc)

If you do not meet this monthly minimum, you will leave the country to a Thai consulate for a One Year Multiple Entry based on the work permit.

Your NON "O" is a not gonna happen unless you meet the basic requirements.

Edited by Mr.Capers

If you are married to a Thai, you could always just travel to your home country and get a new Non-O just by documenting that marriage. Then, you can make visits w/ 90 day permission to stay and no monetary requirements. If you are able to get a job and a work permit before your permission to stay expires, you can then get an extension of stay based on the income to support your Thai spouse. This would not be a "B" visa in any real sense. As I understand it, the B visa is to allow you entry and stay in order to obtain legal work, while the O visa is for family reunion. Either one gives you the status necessary, i.e. non-tourist, to obtain a work permit.

I am guessing that they said you are "converted to a B visa" because they are trying to help you to get your job without first departing for a new Non-O visa. I was not aware they would issue visas here, but TiT and why complain! :o I don't think the type of visa really matters much, as the future extension to stay will be determined by your marriage and financial conditions. It is slightly easier for an employer to qualify to get a work permit for a foreigner married to a Thai, but I do not know if this decision is impacted by the foreigner's visa status.

I entered on a Non-O and obtained a work permit last year. I got an extension of stay which could have been based on our initial wire transfers or on my new job, as per the requirements to support a Thai wife. It is not clear to me which basis they chose this time, but in future years it will have to be on income. My latest entry stamp is "Non-RE" which I think just means using the re-entry permit associated with my extension of stay. The extension of stay itself says "Thai wife" and has no other codes that I can discern.

When I used to work for a Gov secondary school, I went to the Immigration Dept. and they extended my visa without changing it from an "O" to a "B", however they changed the reason for the visa from my marital status to my job status. After leaving that job and getting another visa extension, the officer at the Immigration Dept. said that it's not necessary to change the reason for the visa and it just creates confusion. She promptly changed my status back to what it was originally.

If you're on an "O" visa, DO NOT change it to a B, because if you do and your job goes south, you have just seven days to either secure another job with a work permit (bordering on impossible) or leave the country for a visa run. You can work legally on an "O" visa just as you can on a "B" visa but with the "O" visa you don't need to be working to get an extension; but you do need to show at least 400K in the bank. If you're teaching, the 60K per month income requirement doesn't apply as far as I know. How many teachers here earn that much? Not many. Good luck!