Hedges And Hedgerows

I would really like to grow some hedgerow within the perimeter of my plot so it hides the neighbours ugly steel fence and provides a dense screen for better privacy and cut the noise from the street.

Does anyone know what's available in Thailand? I am in Udon but wouldn't have any problems going and getting the right stuff if it's available elsewhere. I was impressed by the 'Instant Hedge' at http://www.pracbrown.co.uk and wonder if the businesses that supply major developments like golf courses would have anything similar.

Is there any indigenous hedge-type plant that would work?

Privet hedge is available all over Thailand. Small plants cost between 1 and 2 Baht. Plant 6 inches apart in a saw-tooth pattern, so roughly 12 plants per metre. Grow very fast if looked after. Bees love the little white flowers.

There is also a lighter green version, don't know what it's called. The leaves are slightly larger and after a year will reward you with lovely lilac flowers. It can be equally aggressively cut and shaped as the privet. Same price too.

If you're bulk buying, ie. 200+ plants expect a discount.

Have you thought about a Bougainvillea hedge? About double the price, but after 2/3 years you will be rewarded with a really spectacular hedge. (and inpenetratable to boot)

Regards.

Thanks for the info. I haven't been to any garden centres so didn't know if hedge shrubs were readily available in Thailand. To be honest, I haven't seen too many apart from places like Nong Nooch Garden and the likes. I will be headed to Pattaya this weekend so will check out the garden places on Sukhumvit as rumour has it they have a wider range as they try and cater to the needs of those building houses with decent gardens in the estates around Ban Saray, Silverlake and inland.

Bougainvillea does look spectacular but doesn't it tend to spread irregularly and have a wider base versus a privet style planting? I may use some at the front where there's more space but I am looking for something reasonably compact for the sides of the yard.

Bougainvillea does look spectacular but doesn't it tend to spread irregularly and have a wider base versus a privet style planting? I may use some at the front where there's more space but I am looking for something reasonably compact for the sides of the yard.

Bougainvilleas do grow wide if leaved unchecked (I guess that if it's happy, it could reach 2 meters on each side), but you can trim them any way you like.

They actually love it, so don't pity them : go for the 'mowhawk' haircut style every year ! :)

You should first trim them once to 50 cm once they reach 80cm (or 2 for 3 feet), so that they get thicker at the base.

Enjoy ^^

Edited by sunsamourai