Maxnet Showdown Indy Vs Premier - My Indy 4 Megs Inter

ikebukuro5

I have looked and looked and looked but no defenitive answer so here it is.

Maxcrement sucks from 9:30 to 1:30 AM in Pattaya.

During the night I get nearly 4 megs international to San Fransisco and Seattle.

Bangkok about 4.5 megs.

I have seen as much as 4.7 megs in international on INDY a month ago.

Maxnet now goes down to 200 kps daytime and Evening, I beleive this has NOTHING to do with INDY or PREMIUM.

I beleive that there is absolutely NO difference between both packages exept that INDY Is at least twice as fast.

Any body can confirm with speedtests my results?

Premium is NOT faster than Indy

post-59307-1247008471_thumb.jpg

Edited by ikebukuro5

This is bad news. I'm just about to give the idiots 500Bt more each month to "upgrade" from Indy to Premier.

Sometimes you know you are doing something stupid, but you just can't stop yourself on the off-chance that what you are doing may actually pay off.

This is bad news. I'm just about to give the idiots 500Bt more each month to "upgrade" from Indy to Premier.

Sometimes you know you are doing something stupid, but you just can't stop yourself on the off-chance that what you are doing may actually pay off.

Am I the only one with proof that Indy has the same speed as premier? Anybody can compare and has experience with BOTH?

There have been posts here on this forum from people who have switched from Indy to Premier and IIRC the main improvement was stability and reliability. The contention ratio (number of subscribers "sharing a connection") is lower on Premier, for one thing. Premier also has 2x the upload speed, 1Mbps (vs Indy's 512Kbps).

For surfing the Internet in a browser, a speed comparison may not show much difference, but if you download torrents they are/can be restricted on Indy, ditto for VOIP (Skype, etc). A common e-mail port (port 25) is also restricted on Indy. So, overall as a package, I think that Premier may be a better option for many subscribers.

However, I don't do torrents or VOIP, and my e-mail client is set up to avoid using port 25, so I don't see much of the "down side" to Indy.

The biggest problem I've had, and it's recent, is a sudden blocking of the OpenDNS DNS servers. I have no idea if that is limited to Indy, or if it affects Premier as well.

So, to your postulation that the speed is the same on Indy and Premier, you may be correct when comparing packages with the same advertised upload speed, but that may not be the total picture.

Am I the only one with proof that Indy has the same speed as premier? Anybody can compare and has experience with BOTH?

I'm quite sure this is to do with internet peering arrangements rather than the local service. It seems to me that just about every Thai ISP has problems in the evening through until early hours. If you do your tests to the BKK server do you get better results ? If so then forget whether its indy or premier, the problem is international bandwidth over the various peering points.

Really Really takes the piss right now Premier 4mg is so slow with international use i'm trying to get on to bbc and also some other site's are slower then 56k right now and it's 12:32am you would think everybody would be sleeping right now if i start to download a torrent the whole internet slowdown what the hel_l are TT&T doing with there service again

Edited by imafaranggetmeoutofhere

I think that you guys with Premier are getting shafted...

Appart from the past 2 weeks where speeds slow down to a crawl on ANY plan I have been getting blinding speed on Indy 5 megs, INTERNATIONAL also...

Maybe I'm just lucky? This test taken at 9:08 am to Seattle. Will try after 9:30 am and see what happens, this is from Pattaya 5 megs Indy 1000 baht per month.

post-59307-1247105554_thumb.jpg

Appart from the past 2 weeks where speeds slow down to a crawl on ANY plan I have been getting blinding speed on Indy 5 megs, INTERNATIONAL also...

Maybe I'm just lucky? This test taken at 9:08 am to Seattle. Will try after 9:30 am and see what happens, this is from Pattaya 5 megs Indy 1000 baht per month.

With Speakeasy I just got 2786/749. I had 1mb Indy some time ago. It was unusable. The tech guy suggested I switch to 512k Premier. It was so much better, it was like night and day. Maybe Indy has improved? I do a lot of torrent downloading, and get very good speeds with premier. Close to the advertised speed if there are lots of seeds.

With Speakeasy I just got 2786/749. I had 1mb Indy some time ago. It was unusable. The tech guy suggested I switch to 512k Premier. It was so much better, it was like night and day. Maybe Indy has improved? I do a lot of torrent downloading, and get very good speeds with premier. Close to the advertised speed if there are lots of seeds.

Thank you Wimpy!

Maybe we are getting somewhere now on the comparison, let's settle this once and for all between Indy and Premier with specifications at tests.

Your speed is good albeit slower than mine by about 1500 pbps...so again Indy wins!

How much do you pay for your plan and what is your speed supposed to be?

Addtionally, with Indy my dowloads are blinding fast, smtp servers work, Skype and Yahoo voice perfect.

My test from Pattaya to USA, 4.2 megs, 9:45 am

post-59307-1247109615_thumb.jpg

Edited by ikebukuro5

Thank you Wimpy!

Maybe we are getting somewhere now on the comparison, let's settle this once and for all between Indy and Premier with specifications at tests.

Your speed is good albeit slower than mine by about 1500 pbps...so again Indy wins!

How much do you pay for your plan and what is your speed supposed to be?

Addtionally, with Indy my dowloads are blinding fast, smtp servers work, Skype and Yahoo voice perfect.

My test from Pattaya to USA, 4.2 megs, 9:45 am

I pay 1000 a month for a 3072/1024 Premier connection. I really have no complaints about the speeds anytime of day. I get close to advertised speeds on torrent downloads regardless what time it is. Skype works fine.

Recently had trouble opening websites, everyone in Chiang Mai was having the trouble. I switched to OpenDNS servers, and all is good now. I'll stick with premier for the consistency.

my indy has been the slowest in years for the last several days. on most of my international sites, i cant even sign into they are so slow. repeatedly reloading or turning the modem on and off rarely even works or just allows me to start the sign in. very late at night and early in the morning no problem

TIT the land of service problems, we dont care...................

Hi Wimpy,

How could you get:

"I pay 1000 a month for a 3072/1024 Premier connection."

Here it's 1090 a month for 2072/512 for Premier and 1000 a month for Indy 5 megs...if you could PM me your account number or account type I'd like to confront them with this discrepency...

Isn't this supposed to be a national company? Why different rates accross Thailand?

If I can get your plan I might try Premier for a month...but they claim that once I change I would need a whole billing cycle to revert to Indy again if things don't work out...is that correct?

Cheers!

Hi Wimpy,

How could you get:

"I pay 1000 a month for a 3072/1024 Premier connection."

Here it's 1090 a month for 2072/512 for Premier and 1000 a month for Indy 5 megs...if you could PM me your account number or account type I'd like to confront them with this discrepency...

Isn't this supposed to be a national company? Why different rates accross Thailand?

If I can get your plan I might try Premier for a month...but they claim that once I change I would need a whole billing cycle to revert to Indy again if things don't work out...is that correct?

Cheers!

I'm sorry, it is 1090 a month. It was 2048/1024 up until about two weeks ago, when they upgraded me.

Premier has a lower contention ratio and is more reliable. That Indy can match the speed is irrelevant at any given time.

Saying that, the whole service has been <deleted> of late but what can one do!

My friend was watching the Thai news last night. He said there was a story about the government setting up a hot-line for people to call and lodge their complaints about poor Internet service. He said they were reporting that it is illegal to advertise a certain speed, and not deliver. Must be a lot of people bitching right now.

FYI & FWIW, just now -- early afternoon on a weekday -- this is my result from a speedtest.net test to Los Angeles. Not fully my advertised speed (5Mbps Maxnet Indy), but not too shabby, IMHO. But, this is basically just browsing speed: torrents and VoIP are restricted/throttled on Indy.

post-33251-1247118762_thumb.png

FYI & FWIW, just now -- early afternoon on a weekday -- this is my result from a speedtest.net test to Los Angeles. Not fully my advertised speed (5Mbps Maxnet Indy), but not too shabby, IMHO. But, this is basically just browsing speed: torrents and VoIP are restricted/throttled on Indy.

Same here 5 meg MaxNet 4:30 pm afternoon near peak time, very nice 3.8 megs international Seattle!!!

I think that Wimpy's story was right, the illegal hotline my girlfriend confirmed, seems like some management might have gotten threatened...with their jobs or worse.

I hope this lasts, this would be great!

post-59307-1247132074_thumb.jpg

I've used both Premier 2mb and 4mb and Indy 3mb in the last 6 months. Although the speed tests often show mid Indy 3mb in the mid 2500's using speakeasy's San Francisco server, it defiantly loads pages and downloads files waayyyy slower than either of the Premiers. I believe Premier has greater international bandwidth and less users per connection, which I guess is called the contention ratio.

I have indy and for the last two days i could not get on this site. i tried a hundred times with all combination's. only when i got rid of the dns 208 67 222 222 [which has worked well for a long time previously] and checked automatic dns did it start working immediately. same with ps.co?

dont know why but if your having problems try that

I have indy and for the last two days i could not get on this site. i tried a hundred times with all combination's. only when i got rid of the dns 208 67 222 222 [which has worked well for a long time previously] and checked automatic dns did it start working immediately. same with ps.co?

dont know why but if your having problems try that

208 67 222 222 is working fine with Premier.