Tutorial Schools And Net Cafes To Close For 2 Weeks

webfact

Many schools have been closed. The school I work for was closed for a week. Canceling classes poses enormous difficulty for students, parents, teachers, administrators, and all other associated staff. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the break, but the courses I teach have suffered. I reckon the government is doing what they can. The public outcry requires them to do something, but what exactly are they to do?

Mexico, where much of the N1H1 started and has been particularly virulent, virtually shut down the country for several days but didn't try to close its borders, or even to consider it. Mexico's decisive action increased national awareness and unity against the flu because the action was broad based and conducted by a democratic government.

The Mexican government didn't try to nit pick or to single out specific categories of places or demographics. I also have to point out to my (smirking) Chinese colleagues and friends that Mexico is not a developed country either (which immediately evaporates the silly smirks).

The US carried on as usual while taking measures to limit the flu and develop a treatment or preventative. Likewise in the UK and other advanced countries.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, BIG PHARMA is hardly the enemy. I'll take BIG PHARMA over a bunch of quack doctors any where, any day, any time.

So Thailand is in its usual state of organized confusion. Pardon the gallows humor, but these LOS folk still can't organize a two motorcycle funeral.

Edited by Publicus

Nose picking is now a fineable offense.

Gov't is certain that flu is spread thru nose picking.

On the spot fines are 500bt and up for Thais.

2000bt if you're a farang......... so, don't pick your nose!

is spitting and snotting included in that fine.... ???

And what about street bars and bar girls at the famous places? Those must be a really great infection hazard!

Well it's not students catching things from them. It's also not the flu that's the big danger. They may be 'teaching' folks a few things, but they are hardly a tutorial school.

Edit: spelling

Our son goes to Kumon tutorial school for English and Math 6 hours a week. I pay their fee every month in advance. They told us today that the school was closing for 2 weeks per govt order. I presumed we would not be charged the school fee during this shutdown but was told by the office assistant that he has his homework and there will be no refund or discount. Anyone have a similar problem or advice for me ?? I intend to challenge this with the manager.

FairwayJack,

Under the circumstances, they might allow your son to make up for 'lost' class time at a later date. Might be worth asking them next time you're there.

Personally though, I don't see it as their obligation to do so since the closure was enforced upon them and not of their own making so to speak. At the end of the day, they are operating a business, rent, salaries and other expenses still need to be paid!

Our son goes to Kumon tutorial school for English and Math 6 hours a week. I pay their fee every month in advance. They told us today that the school was closing for 2 weeks per govt order. I presumed we would not be charged the school fee during this shutdown but was told by the office assistant that he has his homework and there will be no refund or discount. Anyone have a similar problem or advice for me ?? I intend to challenge this with the manager.

I would guess that the school still has to pay its bills - rent, electricity, interest on start up loans etc. Perhaps, if you found a way to cancel these charges to the school for two weeks they might be prepared to listen to your request to cancel your own payments to them.

I'm afraid that we are all suffering from this ridiculous decision :)

Edited by bungy007