A Sure Way To Get Rid Of Taxi Touts

Came across a new type of lout yesterday. At the airport they have guys hanging around in the car parks that follow you to your car and insistently help to load your bag from your trolley to the car. I told this guy "mai ao" several times but he didn't give up. So instead, I gave up and let him do the whole job. Tipped him 40 baht. 20 would of been OK but I had a lot of stuff

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful behaviour! Your mother must be so proud of you!

Answering the touts, sellers, hawkers etc., politely, smiling, not loud, not abrubt, in perfect street thai, 'mai ow krab', almost always (99.9%) works for me. Most will have alot of respect for that and will immediately stop pestering you and even give you a polite reply.

My dear old grandmother always said, good manners cost nothing, and you will catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.

I'm not sure if that was directed towards me, but: I walk down Beach Road in Patong almost daily and guess that probably thirty traders speak and try to sell me something or other. I find that saying mai ow krab fifty or hundred times a day to such folks is soul destroying, most don't expect any answer at all and make their propositions out of habit rather than anything else - it's also true that any form of eye contact or acknowledgement (even if the answer was no thank you) of their existence seems to spur them on with new enthusiasm so these things are to be avoided.

Same with the tuk tuk drivers who sit around on the side of the street. I know a couple who work outside the hotel where Mrs CM works who, despite seeing me every day and knowing full well that I own a car, always ask me if I want a tuk tuk! Same is true at the airport, the touts make their calls mechanically but I don't feel inclined to give a mechanical response, it's pointless and not bad manners as far as I can see. Now, if I lived in the sticks or a less tourist oriented destination my attitude might be different.

i was on beach road once and parked my scooter next to the Tuk tuk line. I took my helmet off and attached it to the bike. Stepped one foot away from my bike, and heard the nearest driver say 'Tuk Tuk?' I said in Thai. I have a bike already. He smiled and said I could put it in the back of the Tuk Tuk if I needed. Made me smile. beach road was also famous for the indians staring their sales pitch, by trying to said 'Hello' and shake your hand at the same time. They only caught people once, but Patong had a lot of tourists. I bought a hand buzzer and after a few laughs they never tried to grab my hand again.

When I go to Tachilek (Burmese border town) the touts get to walking close alongside (Indian style) and some don't respond well to 'no.' When that happens, I do an immediate do a 180 degree turn and walk a few steps in the opposite direction. I Then turn again and walk in my original direction. It works like a charm every time. Usually, I get a smile and a chuckle from the overly zealous vendor, as he's pleasantly miffed at how easily I rebuffed him.

some more about Burmese border town touts:

I've made friends with a few. Some are really nice guys, if you take the time to relax and hear what they have to say. A couple of 'em speak better English than well-versed Thais I've met, and I've met hundreds of Thais who speak passably good English, some of whom are U professors. Maybe it has something to do with the Burmese proclivity for reading books.

If Donald Trump hadn't been bailed out repeatedly by his millionaire family (and loans from others), he too might be a down-and-out tout, struggling to make a few bucks each day to feed his family. There, but for the grace of Bob....... go him (or something like that).

Taxi touts, Indian tailors, beach vendors, time share operators, anxious bar girls, market stall owners, flower girls, lolly kids etc. are only trying to make a living.

Yes, they are often a pain in the proverbial, but it only takes a smile and shake of the head to get your message across.

....with the exception of the 'anxious bar girls.' :D

Taxi touts should even not be there, is that too difficult to grasp? :)

Anyway, flying in tomorrow and wondering how many I will have to *****

some more about Burmese border town touts:

I've made friends with a few. Some are really nice guys, if you take the time to relax and hear what they have to say. A couple of 'em speak better English than well-versed Thais I've met, and I've met hundreds of Thais who speak passably good English, some of whom are U professors. Maybe it has something to do with the Burmese proclivity for reading books.

If Donald Trump hadn't been bailed out repeatedly by his millionaire family (and loans from others), he too might be a down-and-out tout, struggling to make a few bucks each day to feed his family. There, but for the grace of Bob....... go him (or something like that).

Last time I was in Tachilek I paid a pesky begger to follow me around and chase the other beggers away. Worked a treat. :)

I usually find "Mia Ow Krup" works very well except for Indian Tailors in Pattaya where it is intrepted as "yes please, pester/ insult/irritate /piss me off because then i will cetainly buy something i never had any intention of buying ".

Indian Tailor Logic.!!!!!!

ive found a funny way around that,just say yes to every question they ask or say-they get so confused its funny

My preferred defence: immediately on picking up bag from carousel, clamp mobile firmly to ear and conduct a gravely serious conversation (with no-one) while striding purposefully forward. Puts most of em off.

Gonna be hilarious the first time your phone rings while you're doing that. :)

It's the taxi and tuk-tuk touts here in the city that really bother me. First, I'm not stupid. If I wanted a taxi or tuk-tuk, and see it sitting there empty with driver, then I'm intelligent enough to ask. Scond, even more grevious are the taxi touts that offer prostitutes. I find that insulting.

Two days ago I came out of Central World, and because it was threatening rain I decided to take a taxi back to the hotel. It's such a short distance I usually walk it. Takes 10 minutes of walking. The tuk-tuk driver who approached me wanted 100 baht for what in a taxi would be way less than 50 baht. I politely laughed. I said 60 baht...still way too much...but then again it looked like rain. He said, "Okay, 160 baht." I just looked him in the face and said, "Bah!" So, I went over and sat down and watched for 15 minutes. No fare. I know it's not very nice of me, but all I could think was, "So, you try to cheat people and you sit there with no fare instead. I hope you are hungry tonight."

You might try - "boh ow" which is Issarn dialect. Most taxi drivers in Thailand are from N.E. This says to them that not only might you speak Thai, but you can speak a bit of Lao which could mean: You are old school, perhaps have a wifey/gf. For me works like a charm in all situations with touts save for the South.

If persistant, try "mai hai pai" -not go with you. They will surely slunk away.

I think "pai hai bpon" is sort of piss off - but I forget.

THE BEST WAY TO DEAL WITH WITH THESE PEOPLE IS TO TOTALLY IGNORE. NOT ENGAGE.

Do not EVER approach or bother with tuk-tuk's. In my many years here I have taken very, very few tuk-tuk's and can assure you that you will not pay less than taking an air-con taxi - with safety, cleanliness and meter. When I see farang in a tuk-tuk, I just think - loser...

Another final tip....NEVER ask any standing transport flunkie for a ride. These ARE petty criminals. Hail a cab!

Do not EVER approach or bother with tuk-tuk's. In my many years here I have taken very, very few tuk-tuk's and can assure you that you will not pay less than taking an air-con taxi - with safety, cleanliness and meter. When I see farang in a tuk-tuk, I just think - loser...

In general, I agree with you. In this particular situation there were no cabs within sight, however.

Another final tip....NEVER ask any standing transport flunkie for a ride. These ARE petty criminals. Hail a cab!

Have you ever shopped at Pantip, Fortune Town, Tesco, etc, etc, etc? Many locations in Bangkok have queues that save shoppers a few steps, and don't interdict the flow of traffic. I have never approached a taxi in one of those queues who refused to start his meter .. and I've been here a couple of years.

<rant>

I really don't understand the attitude from many of the farangs posting here. I am frequently offered a motorcycle taxi and usually reply by telling them that I'm afraid of motorcycles. That often brings a friendly remark or two. Why in the world would anyone want to alienate .. anyone .. with an insulting comment.

Those guys are trying to make a living.

I don't ride in tuk-tuks either, but I don't need to be a smart ass. How hard is a pleasant expression, a slight shake of the head and a simple, "My ow, khrap?"

</rant>

Why in the world would anyone want to alienate .. anyone .. with an insulting comment.

Those guys are trying to make a living.

For the most part, I agree with you. Where the line is crossed, however, is with taxi drivers (or tuk tuks) who pimp women, men, and children, or who do refuse to start the meter, or who do make pests of themselves, or who try to take people to gem stores (etc.), and so forth.

90% of the taxi drivers I deal with are great.

Just last weekend, however, I stopped by the snake farm. Not to go in, just wanted to take a photo of the exterior of the building. "It's closed today." That OLD routine. Pestered me. Followed me. Wanted to take me to the "other" snake farm, despite my repeated telling him no. Then I crossed the road to go to Wat Hualamphong. Same routine there, different taxi driver. We are standing right next to the OPEN gate. Cars going in. People walking in. He keeps saying it is closed.

Now, why did this happen to me twice in 10 minutes. Simply because I was carrying a 35 mm camera. He must be tourist. He couldn't live here. Wrong. A veteran.

Taxi touts, Indian tailors, beach vendors, time share operators, anxious bar girls, market stall owners, flower girls, lolly kids etc. are only trying to make a living.

Yes, they are often a pain in the proverbial, but it only takes a smile and shake of the head to get your message across.

....with the exception of the 'anxious bar girls.' :D

Not in Vietnam. :)

Edited by bulmercke

A discussion on how to be polite to the aggressive, thuggish, scum-bag touts that harass and try to defraud every visitor that enters the country?

Hmmm.

Most of them deserve a good shot of pepper spray if you ask me.

The reason they are allowed to be there is they are paying the Police.

Here in Indo it is a huge problem too.

I have been considering having T-shirts printed with

Saya Tidak Mau Ojek on the front and Saya Tidak Mau Taxi on the back.

Or both on the front and a big &lt;deleted&gt; OFF printed on the back.

Flew in domestic this Tuesday, the touts were kept behind a theoretical invisible line away from people coming out, so they did something.

I was back at Swampy yesterday afternoon departure level and went down to level 1 to the Magic food court. Arrivals level is now secured and I needed to explain a cop why I wanted to get down and show my passport.

Flew in domestic this Tuesday, the touts were kept behind a theoretical invisible line away from people coming out, so they did something.

I was back at Swampy yesterday afternoon departure level and went down to level 1 to the Magic food court. Arrivals level is now secured and I needed to explain a cop why I wanted to get down and show my passport.

"Arrivals level is now secured"

Isn't this an International Airport?

It's news that there is security out there doing it's job?

A terse "Mai ow", or if you want to be more polite, "Mai ow, khrap," works wonders and doesn't make you look low class like coughing in one's face does.

Have you ever seen a Thai cover their mouth when coughing?

This is normal behaviour for them so they won't get upset.

No wonder the H1N1 virus is spreading so quickly here. Abhisit would be wise to explain such fundamental basics of cleanliness and manners.

This can be related to the BTS cards which attempted to educate the locals to stand away from the doors as they opened, with pictures to help them understand i.e. as the arrows on the ground clearly indicate.

Has there been a marked improvement with this irritatingly annoying impoliteness? Will they ever learn manners?

A terse "Mai ow", or if you want to be more polite, "Mai ow, khrap," works wonders and doesn't make you look low class like coughing in one's face does.

No wonder the H1N1 virus is spreading so quickly here. Abhisit would be wise to explain such fundamental basics of cleanliness and manners.

This can be related to the BTS cards which attempted to educate the locals to stand away from the doors as they opened, with pictures to help them understand i.e. as the arrows on the ground clearly indicate.

Has there been a marked improvement with this irritatingly annoying impoliteness? Will they ever learn manners?

h1n1

:) Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Please keep the virus to yourself.

Whose manners? Yours or theirs?

2 proven showstoppers of 25 years experience visiting los ... ( to tailors ) hello , pakistani man . and the ( general ) all-time classic , raise your eyebrows and dart your forefinger at their feet and walk on leaving them baffled , confused and silent . wonderful - works EVERY single time . enjoy your walk .