International Driving Licence

astor

Hi to everybody. My thai driving licence will expire the next month, unfortunalely I have only a tourist visa and then I can't renew it.

So I have to get an international driving licence. Is it possible for a foreigner to get it in Thailand ?

Thanks.

So I have to get an international driving licence. Is it possible for a foreigner to get it in Thailand ?

Yes, if you have 5 years Thai DL

Thanks, but where should I ask for it in Pattaya?

No, not in Pattaya. you have to go to "Mo Chit", Ministery of Transportation in Bangkok. If you have WP, would be very easy. If not, you need a certificate of living and a Non Imm Visa and Passport pictures. Cost of IDL is 505 Baht so far, plus travel expenses, of corse.

Yes, if you have 5 years Thai DL

Thanks, but where should I ask for it in Pattaya?

No, not in Pattaya. you have to go to "Mo Chit", Ministery of Transportation in Bangkok. If you have WP, would be very easy. If not, you need a certificate of living and a Non Imm Visa and Passport pictures. Cost of IDL is 505 Baht so far, plus travel expenses, of corse.

In the first post I said that I just have a tourist visa.

Can't you drive in Thailand if you don't have a non imm visa?

Hi to everybody. My thai driving licence will expire the next month, unfortunalely I have only a tourist visa and then I can't renew it.

Thanks.

FYI, a THAI IDP won't be legally valid in Thailand, it's for Thai, or foreigners, who might live here and want to drive in another country. They'd also have to carry a current Thai drivers permit with them.

If you're American or Canadian or Brit, and I expect a lot of other nationalities, you can get an IDP from your home country that'd be valid in Thailand, IF you also have a valid license from your own country.

For U.S. and Canada, do a google for your state/province and add: international driving permit

For the U.S. the AAA will pop up.

Mac

Thanks.

FYI, a THAI IDP won't be legally valid in Thailand, it's for Thai, or foreigners, who might live here and want to drive in another country. They'd also have to carry a current Thai drivers permit with them.

If you're American or Canadian or Brit, and I expect a lot of other nationalities, you can get an IDP from your home country that'd be valid in Thailand, IF you also have a valid license from your own country.

For U.S. and Canada, do a google for your state/province and add: international driving permit

Mac

It's simply absurd that I have to make a travel to my home country just for that.

I'll make the I.D.L. by online.

Thank you for the answer.

Thanks.

Mac

It's simply absurd that I have to make a travel to my home country just for that.

I do mine by mail to Oregon AAA, USA. Price up to $15 now, takes about two weeks.

I also have a 5-year Thai driving license but only use that for banks or other ID purposes. I don't use it if stopped by a Thai traffic cop. For those guys, I show the AAA IDP, and usually they just let me go.

However, three weeks ago I was driving up to Nong Khai and was pulled over for driving in the right lane too long. Difficult to disprove that "violation." I handed over an expired IDP, a 2001. To his credit the cop didn't ask for baht 200 bribe, he just began to write out the ticket and told me where to pay it.

10 days later, after a trip to upcountry Laos, I stopped by the highway police station (it was that one on the Korat-Pimai road) to pay. Walked in, one cop said not kindly, "baht 400!" I said "baht 200" and went to the counter where a very polite copy took my baht 200, wrote out the receipt, and handed back my expired 2001 AAA IDP.

End of story.

Mac

Mac

Thanks.

Mac

I do mine by mail to Oregon AAA, USA. Price up to $15 now, takes about two weeks.

I also have a 5-year Thai driving license but only use that for banks or other ID purposes. I don't use it if stopped by a Thai traffic cop. For those guys, I show the AAA IDP, and usually they just let me go.

However, three weeks ago I was driving up to Nong Khai and was pulled over for driving in the right lane too long. Difficult to disprove that "violation." I handed over an expired IDP, a 2001. To his credit the cop didn't ask for baht 200 bribe, he just began to write out the ticket and told me where to pay it.

10 days later, after a trip to upcountry Laos, I stopped by the highway police station (it was that one on the Korat-Pimai road) to pay. Walked in, one cop said not kindly, "baht 400!" I said "baht 200" and went to the counter where a very polite copy took my baht 200, wrote out the receipt, and handed back my expired 2001 AAA IDP.

End of story.

Mac

Mac

And your point is ??? :) ....ramblings which have not even come close to answering the OP's question.

Thai IDP....Yes.... if you have a 5 year Thai DL...cannot use in Thailand

Another countries DL... No IDP in Thailand...get from your own country either in person, by mail or on-line...

End of Story

Soutpeel