Voluntary Work On A Uk Visitor's Visa?

My good lady was over in the UK for six months last year on a visitor visa, during which time she assisted my mother for two days a week as a volunteer at a centre for OAPs. We're applying for settlement soon and have considered submitting a reference from the coordinator of the charity that runs the centre (saying she is a dependable character and would make a reliable employee in a paid position) but it occured to me that technically she may have been doing something not permitted by the rules of the visa. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case or not? I'd like to think that this reference could be of benefit to our application but am concerned we could botch the whole thing up big time if voluntary work is not permitted on a visitor visa.

Thanks in anticipation of responses.

My good lady was over in the UK for six months last year on a visitor visa, during which time she assisted my mother for two days a week as a volunteer at a centre for OAPs. We're applying for settlement soon and have considered submitting a reference from the coordinator of the charity that runs the centre (saying she is a dependable character and would make a reliable employee in a paid position) but it occured to me that technically she may have been doing something not permitted by the rules of the visa. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case or not? I'd like to think that this reference could be of benefit to our application but am concerned we could botch the whole thing up big time if voluntary work is not permitted on a visitor visa.

Thanks in anticipation of responses.

Don't tell them she has done any work, even voluntary unpaid work. My friend enquired about his girlfriend getting a voluntary job with the Home Office a few years ago, while she was on a visit visa and was told that she was not permitted to do any work while in the UK on a visit visa.

The prohibition relating to visitors is against work "paid or unpaid". It doesn't look as if you'll have much problem establishing your relationship if you've already successfully sponsored a visit visa, and she doesn't need a character reference. No harm in mentioning that she has a job offer, but best not to mention any previous work in the UK.