Mountain Bike .... Where To Buy?

Harmonica

I have seen some at Carrfour (?) -- prices ranged from 2,500 to 6,000 -- but, are there even more expensive (=better?) bikes available (where?) and what are we talking about in terms of quality that makes these pricier ones better? A strong, good quality bike is what I'm looking for -- if it costs upwards of 10K or even 15K, so be it -- what's involved in picking a really good versus an adequate one? :o

they have a few in tesco but i havent paid to much attention to price or quality,

i would go for a bike from well known brands ie, giant, gt, muddy fox, with good components like shimano,

would recomend a bike with suspension forks (hard tail) rather than full suspension (full bouncer) as the cheap ones are to heavy and take to much effort to ride, and 21 to 24 gears with cro-mo or ali frame.

good luck, let me no what you find as its about time i had a little exercise.

When in Cm last month, I had a quick look at bikes.

There was a range of them in Robinsons sports dept. Can't remember which floor I'm afraid.

But they were certainly more expensive, hmmm about 7,500-10,000bt off the top of my head.

Remember thinking a bit dearer than UK.

Seemed good quality to be fair.

Our Thai friend did say cheaper at Carrefour.

Scottie

There's one or two shops on Chang Moi road, the one-way road going from the moat towards the big market. Then another good option for the expensive/quality stuff is at the entrance of Rim Ping Superstore, Chotana Branch (so near the Novotel).

That said, I don't fancy paying a price that gets close to a motorbike for a bicycle, no matter how fancy it is or where it was imported from. So I got mine at Lotus. Very happy with mine, got pretty much the top of the line one around 5000-kwa baht.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Wouldn't bother with buying one from a superstore, Harmonica; load of crap even for the steep ones. They'll be creaking and spluttering in no time if you take them off-road. Go for a Giant or a Trek. Budget option as far as mountain bikes go, but they're very reliable.

Do you know if the prices quoted on their webpage are inclusive of all taxes, duties, etc? My wife wants to bring her Cannondale but from that link it looks like you can get a decent bike in country without a mortgage!! :o

Sorry, I don't. I'm moving to Thailand next month and was given that site as a good source for bikes in-country.

Wouldn't bother with buying one from a superstore, Harmonica; load of crap even for the steep ones. They'll be creaking and spluttering in no time if you take them off-road. Go for a Giant or a Trek. Budget option as far as mountain bikes go, but they're very reliable.

Thanks for that Jack -- the names Giant and Trek have been coming up alot lately in conversations with bikers in the know. Yeah, I'll get one of these 2. :o

I bought a merida 24 gears mountain bike from Top Gear along Chiang Moi last year for just under 13000 baht. Tom the American who owns the shop is very knowledgeable but a touch too hard sell for me.

Very pleased with it so far. Top gear adjusts the bike to fit you. Merida is Taiwanese and not a known brand but quality and value for money are good.