6 Mth Old Daughter - Living In Thailand

dmax

hi,

my daughter will be 6 mths old by the time we fly out to los,,we,re staying for 3 mths,,is there anything i need to know regarding any extra vaccines/dengue fever/hep b etc.....im getting worried now and on hindsight we should of waited till she was older before bringing her .............she has her bcg vaccine,,her polio typhoid vaccine allready....

hi,

my daughter will be 6 mths old by the time we fly out to los,,we,re staying for 3 mths,,is there anything i need to know regarding any extra vaccines/dengue fever/hep b etc.....im getting worried now and on hindsight we should of waited till she was older before bringing her .............she has her bcg vaccine,,her polio typhoid vaccine allready....

perhaps you should ask your doctor

hi,

perhaps you should ask your doctor

good advise, and tell him where you go in thailand.

we took my son at 11 weeks & again at 10 months, the only cvaccine that the doctors thought essential was BCG (on top of his regular infant vaccines) Just take care to keep her covered with mossie repelant & covered up in the sun, regular drinks of water (even for bottle & breat fed babies) will keep her hydrated but tbh I found it no difference (apart fromt eh heat) than dealing with my son in UK. Have a great trip

The biggest thing with kids is a change in the diet. With a infant they will be drinking milk, if its breast milk and mom eats strange Thai food as most Thai moms do, this could be a problem. Kids get fevers and get immunity, this happens everywhere, Thailand has its share of fevers and illnesses, maybe more than the rest of the world.

A big problem here is strange people touching kids, even sticking a finger in your kids mouth when you are out shopping. This is some kind of bizarre cultural thing. Older kids can be taught to avoid this and many do after it happens a few times, much like the crazy auntie who pinches you on the cheek who you grow up hiding from at family gatherings.

Much will depend on where you plan to go and what kind of place you have to stay in. For sure you should ask you Pediatrician about shots and things and you should read up on things like Dengue and what the dangers of it are. You should also be keenly aware at what is going on here now as far as the Flu and the way its being handled. Personally I would not bring a infant here right now for many reasons, mostly its just not a great environment for kids as the mortality rates in Thailand are off the charts compared to western countries.

Besides the medical requirments that others on this forum recomend.

I strongly suggest you bring a small, light weight, compact little stroller.

The footpaths are not like home, Thailand is NOT a baby friendly country. Most of the time it is like driving 4x4!

Believe me, it will help a lot, the smaller the better as there is not much space to manover.

Have a great 3 month stay :)

The footpaths are not like home, Thailand is NOT a baby friendly country. Most of the time it is like driving 4x4!

Thailand footpaths are not strollers friendly ... Thailand will be very friendly with your baby ... maybe too much :)

Thailand footpaths are not strollers friendly ... Thailand will be very friendly with your baby ... maybe too much :D

:D That's what I meant.

The environment. :)

Edited by Livinginexile