New Passports

I have just picked up a new passport from my embassy, I fly to udon today and am then getting a taxi to the laos border and i'm planning on entering laos.

At the embassy they told me I had to go to the immigration office in bangkok to get stamps moved across, when I told them I was flying today they said get in touch with the boarder to ask as the immigration offices are closed today.

I still have my old passport with the corners cut off, and a valid 30 day visa within it.

Is it going to be plane sailing? or is there going to be a lot of hassle when I get there?

Also, what is the latest time you can have a laos visa issued @ the boarder?

Thanks for any replys!

I have just picked up a new passport from my embassy, I fly to udon today and am then getting a taxi to the laos border and i'm planning on entering laos.

At the embassy they told me I had to go to the immigration office in bangkok to get stamps moved across, when I told them I was flying today they said get in touch with the boarder to ask as the immigration offices are closed today.

I still have my old passport with the corners cut off, and a valid 30 day visa within it.

Is it going to be plane sailing? or is there going to be a lot of hassle when I get there?

Also, what is the latest time you can have a laos visa issued @ the boarder?

Thanks for any replys!

First, as a general rule, you should always go to the Immigration Head Office in Suan Pluu to get the stamps transferred from your old passport to your new passport. The Immigration Officers at the border are not always that pleased if you have not done so in advance. However, if you have just been issued with your passport and you can tell them that you have just received your passport then they will be much more accomodating.

If you turn up at the border without having transferred the visa stamp in advance, Immigration will normally look at your entry stamps in your old passport and then on the Immigration computer (hence why you need to go to the Immigration HQ in advance just in case there is a problem). So if you are flying to Laos from BKK airport, it will generally not be a problem at BKK airport as they will have a record of you entering on the computer and from your old passport then it is unlikely to be a problem

[The Nong Khai immigration office is a few hundred yards from the Friendship Bridge crossing point into Laos. They should be able to transfer all your visas over to your new passport. It's free, so go and see them first rather than face hassle at the bridge itself.