I Have A Problem

Humphrey Bear

I am working in Vietnam.

My laptop was perfectly behaving itself until a few days ago, when it decided that I did not need Internet access anymore.

When I click on Internet Explorer I get the normal screen come up, the wireless indicator icon signifies that I am linked to a wireless network, but then the screen tells me there is no internet access.

I troubleshoot and the tick-list is only checked at the first item. t item 2 <default gateway> I get a yellow triangle and try the <repair> button. No change.

This happens on whatever wireless network I try (hotel, work, others) so the fault is within my computer, I am sure.

Tried hard-wired access, but that does not even register as being connected.

When trying other ways of starting to get into the WWW I get <Error 80072ee7> come up - whatever that error means.

Any ideas chaps (and chapesses)??

I am working on a hotel computer at the moment, but off to work at 07.30, so probably will not respond until this evening.

Thanks for your future help ............. HB

I am working in Vietnam.

My laptop was perfectly behaving itself until a few days ago, when it decided that I did not need Internet access anymore.

When I click on Internet Explorer I get the normal screen come up, the wireless indicator icon signifies that I am linked to a wireless network, but then the screen tells me there is no internet access.

I troubleshoot and the tick-list is only checked at the first item. t item 2 <default gateway> I get a yellow triangle and try the <repair> button. No change.

This happens on whatever wireless network I try (hotel, work, others) so the fault is within my computer, I am sure.

When trying other ways of starting to get into the WWW I get <Error 80072ee7> come up - whatever that error means.

I am working on a hotel computer at the moment, but off to work at 07.30, so probably will not respond until this evening.

That is a windows live messenger error code.

Are you on windows vista?

If so restore your pc to an earlier date before you had the problem

Edited by cyborg22

I am working in Vietnam.

That is a windows live messenger error code.

Are you on windows vista?

If so restore your pc to an earlier date before you had the problem

No - I'm on XP Pro - about 2007 installation, but with all updates since then.

I know what you mean - I have used Vista.

I'll check if this can be done on my machine.

I am working in Vietnam.

I am sure many people here will try to help you.

The error code returned is due to the fact that windows messenger cannot connect to the Internet so we can disregard that as being a result of your main problem and not a cause.

As neither wireless nor wired connection work, (assuming they both worked a few days ago), it could be firewall or virus related, because the network settigs for each are independant, but just to be sure we will start with seing what your PC is reporting for these settings. I assume that the laptop was working in your present location and you have not recently moved to a new ofice or location where they may have different restrictions.

I suggest it would be easier to initially get the wired network working,

First check your network connection information.

In XP go to Control Panel - - Network Settings - Wired network

Good luck and I am sure we will soon get this sorted

(edited after a reread I see you are using XP)

Edited by thaimite

The error is telling you you're not connected to the internet. Its not a Messenger issue.

Best guess is contact your ISP or check if your browser is set to work ONLINE

In case it is the messenger -

Are you trying to sign in to Messenger, but all you see is error code 80072ee7?

Here’s a possible solution for you.

Click Start, --->All Programs, --->Accessories.

Right-​click the entry command prompt,

and choose Run as administrator from the appearing context menu.

When Windows asks for your consent, --->click continue.

Type the following line, and press Enter:

ipconfig /release

Type the following line, and press Enter:

ipconfig /renew

Close the window.

Retry to sign in to Messenger.

If this does not solve your problem with Messenger error code 80072ee7, please contact

https://support.live.com/​ for more help.

Best way to solve would be a system restore to an aearlier date

Edited by webfact

Hmmm,

Have you used it at work where an IT guy had to do something to your laptop to make you gain access to the internet?

Something I see often with guests in my hotel trying to use the wifi. The whole connection looks OK, including ip address, gateway and dns servers, but no internet access in internet explorer. Even a ping from the command prompt will work normally.

This is invariably caused by internet explorer set to use a proxy server. A lot of other software will automatically use the settings as set in internet explorer as well!

To make sure, in internet explorer, go to "tools", click on "internet options" choose the "connections" tab, at the bottom half click on "LAN settings" and make sure that either nothing or "automatically detect settings" alone is marked...

Thanks, everyone - I tried the <Reset to earlier configuration> but lost some of the new work-related stuff - and still couldn't connect to the Internet (although at that setting - the day before I started this new job) I could do so.

So I restored back to what I had this morning. And now can at least access my work network.

I will try Monty's solution first, as I know what he is describing.

The other methods I will print out later and try.

SBK - I may be an eedjit, but really not that much of a fool, even after a couple of beers. (That was one thing that dawned on me at the start - I must know a little more than I thought)

I will also go out tomorrow and get a CD of XP - maybe if I reload the whole thing it'll work. Or maybe upgrade to Vista. That may help.

I'll let you all know later, but now it's back to work.

Bear - in system, hardware, remove wireless driver, reboot - back to system, reinstall correct driver and reboot again, setup wireless properly - sorry not XP guru anymore - the reinstall should be seamless.

Bubba

edit

Keep XP - it is not an O/S failure, its a normal M$ thingy!!

Edited by verydumbubba

Thanks everyone for your help.

I am now posting this from my own resuscitated laptop.

I don't know all of what was done, but a guy in the office changed the final digit on the gateway reference, then went into some of the control panel functions and fiddled around there, and "Hey Presto!" I'm back in business.

I tried most of what what was suggested, but the problem did not go away. Now it has at least gone into hibernation, so I'm happy (until next time)