Importation Rules For Dogs Entering Thailand

Here are the updated laws for importing a dog into LOS.

I personally brought my pet Rottweiller into Thailand on Feb. 1, 2005 with no difficulties.

******VISIT YOUR VET*******************

1) Get current VACCINATIONS CERTIFICATE from your home vet.

Dog must be vaccinated for LEPTOVIRUS and RABIES within 21 days of leaving your home country.

2) Get a HEALTH CHECK CERTIFICATE from your home vet within 10 days before departure for Thailand. This will state dog is healthy and free of diseases and fit to travel.

LIST YOUR DOG BREED AS A MIXED BREED ON VET CERTIFICATES AND WITH THE AIRLINES!!! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR VET DO THIS!

*MAKE AT LEAST 4 PHOTOCOPIES OF VET CERTIFICATES AND YOUR PASSPORT AS YOU WILL HAVE TO GIVE AIRLINE COMPANIES A COPY, YOUR TRANSIT AIRLINE A COPY, QUARINTINE ANIMAL OFFICE AT BANKGOK AIRPORT A COPY AND A SPARE FOR EMERGENCY.

KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL COPY IF YOU PLAN ON BRINGING DOG BACK INTO YOUR HOME COUNTRY.

******BUY AN INTERNATIONAL AIRLINE APPROVED PET CARRIER**********

1) Check with your local airline carrier on dimensions and regulations on your carrier.

******ARRANGE WITH AIRLINES BOOKING FOR YOUR DOG IN CARGO*****

NOTE : IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO CHECK W/YOUR AIRLINES COMPANY AND COUNTRIES OF TRANSIT FOR LOCAL AND MOST UP-TO DATE LAWS REGARDING TRANSPORTING A PET.

IF YOU HAVE A CONNECTING FLIGHT WITH ANOTHER AIRLINE COMPANY, CALL BOTH COMPANIES IN ADVANCE FOR RESERVATIONS AS THEY MAY HAVE SEPARATE RULES.

* Do not transit through HONG KONG as they require a ###### of a lot of paperwork and quarintines. I transited through NARITA, JAPAN which was smooth sailing.

*******LIST YOUR DOG BREED AS A MIXED BREED ON VET CERTIFICATES AND WITH THE AIRLINES!!!

As of Feb. 1/2005, the only breeds that are banned from importing into Thailand are the :

BANNED BREEDS FOR IMPORTATION INTO THAILAND :

1) PIT BULL

2) AMERICAN STAFFORdSHIRE TERRIER

**Rottweillers are not on the list. But to avoid unnecessary headaches, if you encounter an untrained customs officer, list MIXED BREED, so that there is no confusion and chance for your dog to be banned from entering. They may confuse your dog with a Pit Bull. Insist it is a MIXED BREED and never mention PitBull or Terrier!

********ARRIVAL INTO BANGKOK AIRPORT (DON MUANG) AND CLEARING CUSTOMS********

1) Go downstairs to Arrivals Hall and to the left is the Quarintines Office. Bring your dog in the carrier with you and present to them copies of your vet certificates.

2) Quarintines Officer will look through your certificates and make you fill out an importation form.

3) I was charged $500 THB Importation Fee.

* Quarintines office is opened late. I'm not sure what time they close at but they were still open at 1am when I arrived.

* No Thai vet was called to examine my dog. This could be a hit or miss or maybe it was just too late at nite for a vet to come by.

Either way, the quarintines officer took a quick look at my dog through his carrier. Immediately stated "aiiii...Rottwieller!". My heart was thumping...thought he would forbid my dog from entering but then passed me the customs form to fill out.....quickly asked for $500 baht and we were out the door and into Thailand.

The whole procedure took only 10 min. and we entered Thailand.

Cheers,

Thaiboxer1 :o

Here are the updated laws for importing a dog into LOS.

out.....quickly asked for $500 baht and we were out the door and into Thailand. 

The whole procedure took only 10 min. and we entered Thailand.

Cheers,

Thaiboxer1  :D

We brought our cat back exactly a year ago. We went through the Pet transport at Heathrow(can't think of the name right now). He flew EVA with us,but in the hold. Cost : 700 sterling(more than our tickets)

It all went wrong the other end. Plane landed 16.00. Vet went home 16.00. :D Vet called out. Lost the cat. :D Three hours later found the cat in Quarantine where it should have been,but they looked everywhere but there. :D T.I.T. already. I can see their point though who expects something where it should be. :o Vet's fee and quarentine fee ฿5,000........import licence(which we were assured we did not need) ฿18,000. :D Total cost of Cat to Thailand ฿63,000. Paid Master card. Priceless. :D

Another freind of ours brought their cats in. Checked in as baggage. Flew on plane in hold. Picked up from baggege carousel,no import licence needed.Just the documents set out by Thaiboxer( dog I take it) No hassle. No big fee. :D

Also they knocked our puss out and it took him a week to recover.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Nah. I have one and there are plenty of breeders. No way to ban them, pitbulls, or Rotweilers, or Staffies; especially in Thailand.

If they ban any breed they'll be sent to malaysia or cambodia and smuggled into Thailand. Don't expect too much of a problem getting these.