First Step In Macro

angiud

Sigh, I know I need a flash possibly a ring one. But I must say the lizard was a puppy, 5/6 cm max, you can see the grass and the big head with small body. Anyway, I know, strong hand and good focus... Shame the 100 mm doesn't have the stabilizer.

One more, still no so big depth of field.

1/200 f 5.6

ISO 400

Camera flash

No crop

post-58494-1247814850_thumb.jpg

Nice shots,

It is true that macro and specialized flashes go hand in hand. I really would love a ring flash. I think you are probably using your 100mm to the usable extent of it's macro ability. Not all lenses are really macro, they just say they are. Actually I don't even know the official definition myself, but for me real macro is closer to a 1:1 ratio, which is really tough without the right flash.

If you want to get closer, get an extension tube. Your depth of field becomes paper thin, but you can get some cool stuff.

Edited by canuckamuck

Indeed macro is 1:1 aka lifesize or more

The 100mm macro lens is indeed a true macro lens.

However, "anguid" instead of running around in the garden looking for bugs and handholding your fine lens why not set up something like the attached and really see the resolving power.

It'll also teach you about lighting

I ain't no expert with lighting but in this shot I used two ordinary household lamps fitted with 5200 K bulbs (daylight) and a white sheet for a backdrop

Tripod mounted - mirror up

I under-exposed 2 stops to keep the black as black (but forgot to remove the dust!)

The rest you can see in the EXIF

Edited by The Vulcan

Vulcan, what lens is it?

About wandering in the garden taking handheld shots, this is what I like to do, this is what I mean for natural close-up or macro photography. The use of a tripod is not so useful and the ground is low and work with it seems to me a little tricky.

What for sure I need is a flash. Out of range the Canon or Sigma ring flash. What about this?

post-58494-1247841347_thumb.jpg

Not so big power but to start should be enough, and the price, around 100 us$, worth a try.

Vulcan, what lens is it?

About wandering in the garden taking handheld shots, this is what I like to do, this is what I mean for natural close-up or macro photography. The use of a tripod is not so useful and the ground is low and work with it seems to me a little tricky.

What for sure I need is a flash. Out of range the Canon or Sigma ring flash. What about this?

post-58494-1247841347_thumb.jpg

Not so big power but to start should be enough, and the price, around 100 us$, worth a try.

Lens shown is a 28-80 F2.8 'L' Canon

Ringflash you show looks fine for the money - go for it.

If you don't like tripods go for a monopod - less cumbersome and should provide more stability.

btw I wasn't knocking "wandering around in the garden" I was just trying to extend your options.

Catch you soon

I like the second one; looks macro enough for me!

Glad to see you are out and about with your new lens!

It is hard to hand-hold that lens, keep the shutter speed up and get enough of an F stop for some depth of field. Much easier on a tripod and use manual focus.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing more.

• 2 months later...