Traffic Problems By The Moat

ThaiPauly

Just got stuck in traffic which is backed up for about 20 minutes as they have just fished a big yellow truck and skip outta the moat . It's about 100metres past Loi Khroh Road on the same side.

How it managed to get in there is a complete mystery :)

They needed to wash their truck, of course. It IS Thailand after all. :):D

People continually cut others off, and too many drivers drive to fast along the moat roads. But, it could be as simple as a loss of brakes on an unmaintained vehicle.

Slap your hand Ian, this was the City owned/maintained organic /veggie market truck with open bin. Maintenance up to date,serviced etc. Washing of vehicles is done on the bridges so discount that, maybe Mobil phone call for emergency pickup at the Chiang Mai Gate market and speed just got the best of him. Or farang on motor bike cut him off, or again it was at pedestrian cross walk (lighted) so maybe he was dodging a jaywalker. I will wager it is not the drivers fault.

It always amazes me how Thais mange to crash in a straight line so much. He must have clipped the curb and lost control. The crane was huge, quite a spectacle this morning. At least they fished the cabbages out of the moat!

Regards Bojo

Just a couple of questions if I might. What is a "skip" and a truck with an "open bin" means what exactly?

'Skip' is the word for an 'open bin' only Brits use skip as far as I know, I don't know who uses 'open bin'. It's a heavy duty metal container which can hold refuse/rubbish usually, that is placed usually at the side of a road/on building sites and will then be lifted onto the back of a lorry that will take it away and dump the rubbish or recycle/whatever.

Regards Bojo

I'd like to find out that no one was hurt or killed in the crash. Anyone know?

Did not see any ambulances...however they could have already departed for the hospital.

I don't think the whole truck was submerged, there was a great deal of mud around the tyres, the "skip" was still where it should have been.

If the truck had flipped I doubt the "skip" would still have been in place.

The moat is not very deep ....so if the truck remained upright I think that the driver and any passengers would have been Ok...if a little wet

Lets hope they were OK....although the driver may well have to pay for the damage and recovery himself, he may have run off to find solice in one of the nearby bars !!

. . . . I don't think the whole truck was submerged, there was a great deal of mud around the tyres, the "skip" was still where it should have been.

If the truck had flipped I doubt the "skip" would still have been in place.

The moat is not very deep ....so if the truck remained upright I think that the driver and any passengers would have been Ok...if a little wet . . . .

It would seem that I rode by place of the accident before you saw it. From the inside of the moat, where I was, the cab of the truck was on its side, the driver's side to the bottom, and almost completely submerged, hence my concern.

From the inside of the moat, where I was, the cab of the truck was on its side, the driver's side to the bottom, and almost completely submerged, hence my concern.

Do you think it was different from the outside of the moat, where you weren't?

The truck, before plunging into the moat, collided with a tree and a lamp post.

Just a couple of questions if I might. What is a "skip" and a truck with an "open bin" means what exactly?

'Skip' is the word for an 'open bin' only Brits use skip as far as I know, I don't know who uses 'open bin'. It's a heavy duty metal container which can hold refuse/rubbish usually, that is placed usually at the side of a road/on building sites and will then be lifted onto the back of a lorry that will take it away and dump the rubbish or recycle/whatever.

Regards Bojo

Thanks for that. I one suffered under the limitations of American "English", could one call it a garbage truck?