Kindle Redefines Irony

nikster

Amazon remotely and without consent from users deleted two books from thousands of Kindles. These books were paid for, the customers got a refund. The best part: The books they deleted were "1984" and "Animal Farm".

http://gizmodo.com/5317180/big-brother-ama...ands-of-kindles

What I am wondering is what kind of insane person would design an ebook reader with a remote delete switch built in. Why put that there in the first place? I was mildly interested in the Kindle before though it already seemed like paperback books have a lot of advantages over ebook readers. But this really kills it off completely.

Do I really care about whether or not there were contract disputes? I don't. If I buy something, it's mine. You can't change your mind later and take it back, even if you give me a refund.

The whole thing is just unbelievable.

From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: kin·dle

Pronunciation: \ˈkin-dəl\

Function: verb

Etymology: Middle English, probably modification of Old Norse kynda; akin to Old High German cuntesal fire

Date: 13th century

Definition (1): transitive verb: to set on fire, cause to burn

The temperature at which books kindle: Fahrenheit 451

Says it all really and the name of the device answers your question. Oh the irony indeed. I guess the only way forward is to memorise the books as Ray Bradbury suggested.

Best Wishes,

Billy Budd by Herman Melville

Do I really care about whether or not there were contract disputes? I don't. If I buy something, it's mine. You can't change your mind later and take it back, even if you give me a refund.

They did get refund. In my opinion Kindle is now the leading ebook reader.

They cannot delete your books if you do not turn on the wireless on the device. They cannot delete books off your device if you are international.

You can download a copy of ALL the books you buy on Amazon and keep them on your PC and then sync them across when you want. They cannot delete these copies.

All in all I highly recommend the kindle its got me back into reading books again the choice is just awesome. Works well from Thailand with Amazon gift vouchers to purchase.

the two books in question where still copyrighted in the usa and where "pirate" copies that amazon sold without finding out who actually had the copyright to them

they did have good reason to do it but made two mistakes

1. they did not inform users that this was possible before purchasing the kindle

2. they did not check who had the copyright for the two books sold and deleted

anyway this is nothing compared to what a cell phone operator can do to your phone if they wish

Yes but if I had bought - without knowing it - printed pirate copies of these books, I'd still have them.

I don't think the justification matters one bit. The fact that they can delete stuff remotely makes the Kindle so much worse than real books I really don't see the point. Why did they even put this function in there? If they did not have this function, then they couldn't delete anything.

It's normal that deals are final. There are no refunds, no returns, and implicitly also no recalls. If I can buy Kindle books online that's one thing. If I enter an indefinite rental with each purchase which can be rescinded at any time, it's an entirely different thing. I am hoping for a big fat class action lawsuit.

the problem is that electronic information be it mp3 ebook videos software are not physical mediums

with software you do not actually own it you only have a licencse for its use

i think that amazon put the remote delete in because that is probably the way they want to go in the end

so you can download a book read it 3 times then it gets deleted or keep it for a year then it gets deleted

thats where the big money is you pay and keep paying

If I buy something, it's mine. You can't change your mind later and take it back, even if you give me a refund.

are they selling you a copy of the book or just licensing it to you ? what does the "fine print say"

same for the most used desktop operating system in the world

I much prefer the audio books from Audible. Why would I want to read when I can listen, particularly when I am driving. I belong to Audible and pay $22.95 for two books a month. A little expensive but worth it to me. Their selection is huge.

Sony was doing shenanigans with rootkits a few years ago and their reputation has never fully recovered. When will these companies ever learn?

You're 100% right there my friend, personally wouldn't touch Sony products in future with a very long stick. Once a company loses the trust it had with consumers, it's almost impossible to get back. Serves 'em right, in my opinion.

I've been considering a Kindle because I've got loads of ebooks and reading them on the PC gets tiresome. After seeing what kind of control Amazon maintains over the device, there's no way they'll get my money. I'm not worried that they'll delete my books, i simply refuse to support a company that believes it is acceptable to behave in this manner. Utter BS.

I much prefer the audio books from Audible. Why would I want to read when I can listen, particularly when I am driving. I belong to Audible and pay $22.95 for two books a month. A little expensive but worth it to me. Their selection is huge.

Just had a look at their webpage, amazing how many titles they have! Still...@ about 8 USD a pop quite pricey considering that no distributor network and print shop must be paid...

Any other recommendations as to where to get audio books?

If I buy something, it's mine. You can't change your mind later and take it back, even if you give me a refund.

are they selling you a copy of the book or just licensing it to you ? what does the "fine print say"

same for the most used desktop operating system in the world

My guess would be that the fine print covers their asses.

That's no excuse though. After all they are still saying they'll sell you an ebook, same as they sell you a book. Once sold, a book can't be taken back. If the ebook is just a license that can be revoked, then I think it's false advertising to not make this 100% clear long before it gets to the fine print.

The operating system comparison is a good one, actually. What if Microsoft suddenly decided that the OS it sold to you was sold by mistake and proceeded to delete it from your computer - without asking you. Would a simple refund be enough to cover your damages? Surely not... what if you car suddenly vanished from your garage. The dealer took it back and left you a check. Good enough?

• 3 months later...

If only Der Fuhrer knew??

Amazon remotely and without consent from users deleted two books from thousands of Kindles. These books were paid for, the customers got a refund. The best part: The books they deleted were "1984" and "Animal Farm".

http://gizmodo.com/5317180/big-brother-ama...ands-of-kindles

What I am wondering is what kind of insane person would design an ebook reader with a remote delete switch built in. Why put that there in the first place? I was mildly interested in the Kindle before though it already seemed like paperback books have a lot of advantages over ebook readers. But this really kills it off completely.

Query from an IT dunce: :)

If I buy an ipod or iphone touch here in Bangkok at an Apple dealer I'll be able to access all Amazon's Kindle's inventory, right?

I tried to order a Kindle from Amazon and they said they wouldn't send it to this location. :D

If I buy an ipod or iphone touch here in Bangkok at an Apple dealer I'll be able to access all Amazon's Kindle's inventory, right?

I tried to order a Kindle from Amazon and they said they wouldn't send it to this location. :D

yes you can. You just install the free kindle software from the apple app store

yes you can. You just install the free kindle software from the apple app store

Thank you. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Actually barnes & noble have released iPhone ebook software for the iPhone. So the iPhone gives you access to both kindle and barnes & noble ebook

Where's the nearest Barnes and Noble though?

(And Barnes and Noble does enforce the US credit card rule).

Anyway - have my kindle (International - even the web browser is working here (so far), when it's not supposed to...).