New Website... Online Payment Options

Beanster1

I'm in the process of starting a website, but I'm kinda stuck on what online payment options to offer my customers. Have heard a few nightmare stories about Paypal. I'll probably go with 3rd party credit card processing like 2checkout or Worldpay.

Does anyone have any advice on a good, reliable, safe online payment provider?

Cheers

Beanster1

:o

I've used paypal for a few years with no problems. There were in the past, because I login from Thailand, but no sweat the last couple of years.

Short of setting your own merchant account with your bank, I'd still say paypal is your best bet, safety-wise. Much higher probability of problems with newer services without the track record of paypal, I feel.

Go with paypal at least until you have the volume of traffic/sales to warrant getting anything else. The advantages tp paypal are simplicity and the ability to handle all your credit cards through them.

The downside is their support blows :D. For this reason you may want a more professional setup as your business expands. :o

cv

Although I did not have any bad experience with Paypal, I got disturbed by some stories at paypalsucks.com. and particularly this one: http://www.paypalsucks.com/forums/showthre...529&old_block=0

Some time ago, I did a search for alternatives and this is what came up:

ecount.com

charge.com

http://www.propay.com/

https://retailpayments.checkfree.com/CAPConsole/Logon.aspx

http://merchantaccount.quickbooks.com/j/ma...code=qbcomapply

http://www.merchantanywhere.com

www.auctioncheckout.com

http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePage....ductNo=10166089

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I guess i just wanted to throw it out there about Paypal and see what other people thought. What i'll probably do is use Paypal as one of the payment options and another 3rd party processor. If the customers are happy and trust Paypal, then they can use it. If not, they can use the other 3rd party.

Cheers

Beanster1

:o

I've used paypal for a few years with no problems. There were in the past, because I login from Thailand, but no sweat the last couple of years.....

Ajarn, what about the limitations for PP account registered in Thailand ? on PP website they clearly state that no more than 100$ allowed - and few other things too.... just curious - if you login from Thailand - how do you deal with these things? or you haven't registered it here?

anyone with first-hand experience about this? as I know most if not all of those who use PP here - have their PP IDs registered elsewhere, or at least the bank which issued their credit card is in US or Europe....

thaiaan, do u have any idea?

You might like to have a look at www.myvirtualcard.com and their security setup.

Fees are 6.5% & 60cents per transaction for non-adult sites.

Try their demo with your mobile phone number.

I would go with a merchant account provider with a proven track record (i.e., lots of people having received payments)

I personally use 2checkout and have for several months. I don't accept PayPal (only 1 of my customers have ever asked if I do) because, yes, they do suck. It's also not an option if you want to have them credit your bank account in Thailand.

Of course, I do have complaints about 2checkout, also, but they seem to be the best of the bunch (if you're just looking for a simple gateway)

You might like to have a look at www.myvirtualcard.com and their security setup.

Fees are 6.5% & 60cents per transaction for non-adult sites.

Try their demo with your mobile phone number.

I would go with a merchant account provider with a proven track record (i.e., lots of people having received payments)

I personally use 2checkout and have for several months. I don't accept PayPal (only 1 of my customers have ever asked if I do) because, yes, they do suck. It's also not an option if you want to have them credit your bank account in Thailand.

Of course, I do have complaints about 2checkout, also, but they seem to be the best of the bunch (if you're just looking for a simple gateway)

What have been your complaints? They look interesting to me, too. I might be interested in using them alongside Paypal...

But make sure you check out '2Checkout' 's forbidden product list before you shell out US$49.

Yeah, I noticed that... long list. Gives me a sense that their folks might actually be paying some good attention to things. A good sign, I think.

No worries for me on restricted items, but I'm going off to search out customer complaints for 2checkout right now...

Hello there. JUst to say that I have used 2Co.com now for 2 yrs, and very happy with them

*Easy set up/no long references, checks

*All goods accepted

*easy to set up your sevices, and pricing

*Bank payments. you choose US U K anywhere.

*Pricing in $ but conversion on check out page to major currencies.

Have a look. I got really pissed off setiting up Paypal, but people like to use it I think

Best regards Pipchatel

www.2checkout.com you should find details here somewhere. I had an account all on line in 2 days

Hello there. JUst to say that I have used 2Co.com now for 2 yrs, and very happy with them

*Easy set up/no long references, checks

*All goods accepted

*easy to set up your sevices, and pricing

*Bank payments. you choose US U K anywhere.

*Pricing in $ but conversion on check out page to major currencies.

Have a look. I got really pissed off setiting up Paypal, but people like to use it I think

Best regards Pipchatel

www.2checkout.com you should find details here somewhere. I had an account all on line in 2 days

*All goods accepted

Well, that part is nonsense, but I couldn't find many consumer complaints from a search. A couple of old things, but nothing like what I saw in the way of complaints against paypal...

So, who wants my commission that 2co pays for referrals? I'm definately going to sign up with them, at this point.

thohts was the first to suggest them, so if thohts will send me whatever name/number for him that I need to give to 2co when I sign up....

I've used paypal for a few years with no problems. There were in the past, because I login from Thailand, but no sweat the last couple of years.....

Ajarn, what about the limitations for PP account registered in Thailand ? on PP website they clearly state that no more than 100$ allowed - and few other things too.... just curious - if you login from Thailand - how do you deal with these things? or you haven't registered it here?

anyone with first-hand experience about this? as I know most if not all of those who use PP here - have their PP IDs registered elsewhere, or at least the bank which issued their credit card is in US or Europe....

thaiaan, do u have any idea?

aaaaaa, sorry I missed your question until now...

I am from the States, and have most of my accounts there, as well as my accountant's mailing address to receive and forward mail from... I have never offered Paypal an address or bank info in Thailand...

The first time I registered with Paypal, I had my account frozen pretty fast, I assumed because I login from Thailand... Too much hassle to clear, with faxes and all, so I let it go. A year or so later, I registered a different email address (generic, for my .com website) and no problems, except that everytime I logged in., I was asked to confirm my last login from Thailand was me. Since it was me verifying me, it seemed pretty stupid... A couple of years ago, they stopped, maybe because I became a 'verified' account... I recently upgraded to a business account because I needed to accept credit cards. Everything has run smoothly with paypal, for me. My banner payments are sent every month to them, and handled very efficiently for the last couple of years, donations are received for my website, and many of my professional consulting fees are paid to me through Paypal.

But, 2co offers to automatically wire funds to my Thai account for a 'small' fee (haven't seen the actual price yet), which paypal either doesn't do, or charges an arm and a leg and other hassles to do it... 2co is more expensive than Paypal, but both have their advantages to me, it seems...

Edited by Ajarn

The first time I registered with Paypal, I had my account frozen pretty fast, I assumed because I login from Thailand... Too much hassle to clear, with faxes and all, so I let it go.

Not only too much hassle, but also always without success. Always. Whatever you fax, whatever you send them. At that time they did not want anyone from Thailand, all requests for faxes had been just stalling tactics.

There's also ikobo, and there's also asiadebit. I do not see bad comments about asiadebit, and ikobo seems to have survived their problem time. I saw quite a few positive comments about them on a thread at nopaypal.com.

Edited by yuyi

Hi Ajarn,

We've been very happy with 2CO, had personal service when required, fast payments, good merchant reporting/interface.

One thing you do need to be aware of is that if your clients are expats or frequent travellers (i.e. their credit card is in the US/UK/Europe etc.. and they place the order from a Thai (or wherever) IP address then their order will be cancelled by 2CO's fraud checking system, and your customer will need to fax a copy of their card to complete the order, not ideal)

If you'd like to sign-up via this link ** 2CO Sign-up ** then we will let you use the 2CO commission amount against 3ix Web Hosting or other services see http://www.3ix.org

Regards

James

3iX 'Your friend in the business'

Email: [email protected]

I don't want to be the one who's got something bad to say here, but I've also been interested into 2checkout and after running into reviews such as these, I decided to look elsewhere.

3 of the 4 replies seem from the same person... The fourth gives 6/10.Chides their customer service, but praises the money side as being 'without errors' on his end...

Good resource in reviewcentre.com. Thanks :o