Opendns

Cheops

• 2 weeks later...
I thought it's a Zyxel P-660HW Series, which I got it for free from True when I signed up for my ADSL and I can remember that I saw only quite limited settings which I could change. Maybe they put a special True branded firmware in it. I'm not an expert on this field, but know how to setup an encrypted wifi connection etc.

can you open your Zyxel and tell me what the page shows I have displayed:

post-327-1248869213_thumb.jpg

Sorry for late replying, but the last week was very busy at my work and other things.

Thanks for your screenshot Webfact!

Here's mine: post-23947-1249576146_thumb.jpg

So I can't change the DNS settings in my router. Hmmmm, True are Truely trying to control everything by disabling lots of settings :)

I think it's time for a new router (well, actually time for new ISP as well, but no choice here for me, it's True or nothing :D ). Anyway, Linksys has some nice routers.

Another issue: this week I started leeching from newsgroups again. Tried a 2mbit subscription with unlimited data and SSL for 2,99 euro per month. First 2 days nice and fast (max speed of my adsl line with about 220kB/s continuesly), BUT today VERY slow and just a few minutes ago totally stopped. Is this True again? I connect by SSL via my program (Grabit) to download from the newsgroups (mainly some DVD's in Dutch for my daughter and some old TV series etc.) Oh, it's back up now with a measly 20KB/s. Maybe the people are starting to go to sleep now freeing up some bandwidth :D

if you type ipconfig /all you will see your DNS server - 192.168.1.1

Thats the router. Even if in the router is specified nothing.

The best now is to set DNS in TCP/IP settings either "obtain DNS automatically" (which is then your ISP DNS)

or assign your own DNS. Even with your own DNS assigned you might see 192.168.1.1 in ipconfig /all

as DNS if Dhcp is enabled. Otherwise you see your assigned DNS

I'm not a True "expert" but can see your router seems to be tailored.

Edited by webfact

if you type ipconfig /all you will see your DNS server - 192.168.1.1

Thats the router. Even if in the router is specified nothing.

The best now is to set DNS in TCP/IP settings either "obtain DNS automatically" (which is then your ISP DNS)

or assign your own DNS. Even with your own DNS assigned you might see 192.168.1.1 in ipconfig /all

as DNS if Dhcp is enabled. Otherwise you see your assigned DNS

I'm not a True "expert" but can see your router seems to be tailored.

Yes, I did that already, I know my way around (well, a little bit at least). Indeed even when I assign opendns in my tcpip settings, ipconfig is showing 192.168.1.1. I think I leave it for now and will look to buy another router in the near future.

Even surfing the net is really bad specially the last few days. Many times I get page not found or timeout and when I refresh it loads immediately. Also connecting to my mail many times gives a problem the first time and I need to try to connect again. For this kind of problems I started to use opendns.