Cost Of Living For A Single Man In Pattaya.

Mahadeva

I think the poster would have to give a lot more information on what he intends to do with his time in Pattaya. 30G's sounds OK if your quite a quiet guy, you've got to consider that's not even a 1000 a day after expenses. But if your going to live there, I suppose you would'nt be out all the time. Or would you?

Personally, I only spend 4-5 days in Pattaya at the end of a trip before going back to work, and do about 50-60K. But that's a full on party.

I think no matter what you budget, especially as a 'newbie' - for want of a better word, you'll spend more. Get an open ticket you can change, just in case the sh1t hits the fan.

WOW.

This is the best forum I seen in my life, seriously, you guys are extremely helpful and really gave me prespective and altough the conclusion isn't good for me... not accepting it wouldnt be wise.

My personal problem is the fact that if I want to live abroad "for as long as I would like to" so I have to live on MAX 20,000 Baht/month including everything.

Otherwise, I have to go back home from time to time, work again and fly back (which is very hard to do after you sepnd time in heaven and go back to "real life")

Basically, getting a cheap apartment, food etc. is within my budget. I can use public transportation, np's there (who wants to drive drunk on a scooter anyway :D?

The problem is indeed the alcohol and the girls. Altough I am not planning on getting crazy (I would if I could :) the fact is, and I know from experience is that everyone can easily get carried away and spend a weekly budget in a day so living on the edge will really hurt the experience.

So, will try to do my best to make the budget higher or will go for a full on 1-3 months vacations in Thailand every now and than.

I am really happy for you guys that are living the dream :D Hope I could do the same one day!

My personal problem is the fact that if I want to live abroad "for as long as I would like to" so I have to live on MAX 20,000 Baht/month including everything.

The problem is indeed the alcohol and the girls. Altough I am not planning on getting crazy (I would if I could :) the fact is, and I know from experience is that everyone can easily get carried away and spend a weekly budget in a day so living on the edge will really hurt the experience.

Pattaya might not be the best place for someone on a tight budget. It's *the* fun town, a bit like Las Vegas -- without money there's not much of interest to do. Temptation is always in your face, hard to resist... and if you can't indulge, it can become depressing.

If you're on a budget, have you considered living somewhere else in Thailand? Bangkok can get expensive, but a larger upcountry town, maybe Udon Thani could be right for you. It has enough loose girls (any time of day) and drinking bars on offer, though not nearly as much as Pattaya. It also has all the Farang-oriented conveniences (restaurants, malls, internet). Everything from rent to drinks is significantly cheaper, and it's not a 24/7 party-only town where you're constant tempted. You may even meet a decent girl or five and make normal Thai or expat friends (in Pattaya almost everyone's in the entertainment game in one way or the other). As a bonus, Laos is an hour away for a hassle-free visa run (not to mention some very nice scenery).

Hi all,

There were many talks about cost of living in Pattaya (I know...) , but I would really appreciate to know What are the current +/- prices of the following in Pattaya from people who are living there:

condo/ very small apartment with A/C, refrigerator, bed, closet. close to the main bar area (walking street?)/ any other live area

condo/ very small apartment with A/C, refrigerator, bed, closet. far from bar areas

standard internet connection

Beer in pub / club

Beer in 7/11 /local shop

meal in street stalls

water bottle in local shop

standard bus ticket

ferry to Koh Larn

Total cost of Visa run.

Simple 50cc scooter rent per month.

Liter of petrol.

I am 26 years old, thinking on moving to Pattaya for a year (maybe more).

The above are things that are important to me and your answers will allow me to understand my avarage cost per month so I can plan this better.

Thank you very much for your help!

I've lived here 3.5 years. The more familiar you are with the area and the people the cheaper it gets. I keep detailed spread sheets of all my expenses. I've done this all of my life, It's kind of a hobby for me but its helps to see were my money goes every day. Here is the summary of the month of June.

Good luck.

CORE EXPENSES

*RENT (1) ฿ 6,800.00

*WATER (2) ฿ 210.00

*MAID (3) ฿ 600.00

*ELECTRIC (4) ฿ 2,733.50

*FOOD (5) ฿ 5,504.00

*MOTORBIKE (6) ฿ 740.00

*VISA (7) ฿ -

*PHONE (8) ฿ 300.00

*SUPPLIES (9) ฿ 236.00

*LAUNDRY (10) ฿ 120.00

SUB TOTAL ฿ 17,243.50

OPTIONAL EXP

LADIES (11) ฿ 10,552.00

BAR (12) ฿ 5,570.00

MASSAGE (13) ฿ 600.00

CLOTHING (14) ฿ 1,470.00

MEDICAL (15) ฿ 646.00

MISC (16) ฿ 502.00

LANGUAGE (17) ฿ 350.00

EXTRA (18) ฿ -

SUB TOTAL ฿ 19,690.00

TOTAL ฿ 36,933.50

I've lived here 3.5 years. The more familiar you are with the area and the people the cheaper it gets. I keep detailed spread sheets of all my expenses. I've done this all of my life, It's kind of a hobby for me but its helps to see were my money goes every day. Here is the summary of the month of June.

Good luck.

CORE EXPENSES

*RENT (1) ฿ 6,800.00

*WATER (2) ฿ 210.00

*MAID (3) ฿ 600.00

*ELECTRIC (4) ฿ 2,733.50

*FOOD (5) ฿ 5,504.00

*MOTORBIKE (6) ฿ 740.00

*VISA (7) ฿ -

*PHONE (8) ฿ 300.00

*SUPPLIES (9) ฿ 236.00

*LAUNDRY (10) ฿ 120.00

SUB TOTAL ฿ 17,243.50

OPTIONAL EXP

LADIES (11) ฿ 10,552.00

BAR (12) ฿ 5,570.00

MASSAGE (13) ฿ 600.00

CLOTHING (14) ฿ 1,470.00

MEDICAL (15) ฿ 646.00

MISC (16) ฿ 502.00

LANGUAGE (17) ฿ 350.00

EXTRA (18) ฿ -

SUB TOTAL ฿ 19,690.00

TOTAL ฿ 36,933.50

Ladies Expenses: 10,552 Baht

Advice: Get ones who are multi talented so that they can also do Massages (600 Baht), Maid service (600 Baht), Laundry (120 Baht) and Teach you Thai Language (350 Baht) - this way you will be saving an extra 1670 baht/month. :)

Edited by whatchamacallit

You can stay for 15 months no worries on a Non o multipal entry visa. Just need to do visa run every 90 days overland or by air no difference. :)

Hi kevkev1888 I have a Non "O" - A visa that will expire in October (One year after it was issued give or take a few days)

i would be interested if you could just explain briefly how it can be extended another 3 months taking it upo to 15 months ( I am a Brit)

Regards

TB

You can stay for 15 months no worries on a Non o multipal entry visa. Just need to do visa run every 90 days overland or by air no difference. :)

Hi kevkev1888 I have a Non "O" - A visa that will expire in October (One year after it was issued give or take a few days)

i would be interested if you could just explain briefly how it can be extended another 3 months taking it upo to 15 months ( I am a Brit)

Regards

TB

On the day or one day before your One-Year-Multiple-Entry-Non-O visa expires - do a Visa Run (returning on the same day) - you will get an extra 90 days - Making your total stay in Thailand to 15 x 30 days.

Regards

TB

On the day or one day before your One-Year-Multiple-Entry-Non-O visa expires - do a Visa Run (returning on the same day) - you will get an extra 90 days - Making your total stay in Thailand to 15 x 30 days.

This is not correct. The poster has a Non OA not a Non O, so assuming it's a multiple entry visa he will get another year - not 90 days. However, I suspect that his visa is probably single entry, meaning that it can not be used any more.

Tigerbalm! Check your visa stamp/sticker (not the entry permit). If it says it's a single entry visa, then you have already got all you can out of it. If it says "good for multiple entries" then leave and reenter Thailand the day before the visa expires (again the visa - not the entry permit), and you will get another year.

Sophon

Regards

TB

This is not correct. The poster has a Non OA not a Non O, so assuming it's a multiple entry visa he will get another year - not 90 days. However, I suspect that his visa is probably single entry, meaning that it can not be used any more.

Tigerbalm! Check your visa stamp/sticker (not the entry permit). If it says it's a single entry visa, then you have already got all you can out of it. If it says "good for multiple entries" then leave and reenter Thailand the day before the visa expires (again the visa - not the entry permit), and you will get another year.

Sophon

Many thanks for the explanation , i have just this minute looked at the visa and it says as you mentioned Good for Multiple entries.

I however did make a mistake (My Apologies) in my previous post by saying it was a "O"-A when in fact it is a Non "O" so i am assuming i will get another 90 day's if i leave leave and re enter Thailand the day before the visa expires.

It appears both you and whatchamacallit are both correct

Regards

TB

Many thanks for the explanation , i have just this minute looked at the visa and it says as you mentioned Good for Multiple entries.

I however did make a mistake (My Apologies) in my previous post by saying it was a "O"-A when in fact it is a Non "O" so i am assuming i will get another 90 day's if i leave leave and re enter Thailand the day before the visa expires.

It appears both you and whatchamacallit are both correct

Regards

TB

Yes, if you reenter Thailand before your visa expires, then you will get another 90 days. However, just to repeat myself as this is very important, you have to reenter before your visa expires, not your current permitted to stay stamp.

Sophon

Err yes spot on!!

The Visa runs get a bit tiresome after a while, but hey its only a day. (Tip if you get your Cambodia visa on line saves time at the boarder and saves a whole page of your passport)

It's probably a good thing I have to go home every 15 months as it makes me go see me Mum :)

Err yes spot on!!

The Visa runs get a bit tiresome after a while, but hey its only a day. (Tip if you get your Cambodia visa on line saves time at the boarder and saves a whole page of your passport)

It's probably a good thing I have to go home every 15 months as it makes me go see me Mum :)

Many thanks for your help both your self... whatchamacallit & Sophon .

The Visa Runs out on the 3rd Oct and the permit to stay runs out on the 2nd Oct so i will be going out on the 1st i assume.

I dont live in Pattaya any more by the way i moved to Chiang Mai a few years back so i will be going up to Mai sai for my border run on the 1st Oct.

Many thanks

TB

Good luck.

CORE EXPENSES

*RENT (1) ฿ 6,800.00

*WATER (2) ฿ 210.00

*MAID (3) ฿ 600.00

*ELECTRIC (4) ฿ 2,733.50

*FOOD (5) ฿ 5,504.00

*MOTORBIKE (6) ฿ 740.00

*VISA (7) ฿ -

*PHONE (8) ฿ 300.00

*SUPPLIES (9) ฿ 236.00

*LAUNDRY (10) ฿ 120.00

SUB TOTAL ฿ 17,243.50

OPTIONAL EXP

LADIES (11) ฿ 10,552.00

BAR (12) ฿ 5,570.00

MASSAGE (13) ฿ 600.00

CLOTHING (14) ฿ 1,470.00

MEDICAL (15) ฿ 646.00

MISC (16) ฿ 502.00

LANGUAGE (17) ฿ 350.00

EXTRA (18) ฿ -

SUB TOTAL ฿ 19,690.00

TOTAL ฿ 36,933.50

Ladies Expenses: 10,552 Baht

Advice: Get ones who are multi talented so that they can also do Massages (600 Baht), Maid service (600 Baht), Laundry (120 Baht) and Teach you Thai Language (350 Baht) - this way you will be saving an extra 1670 baht/month. :D

:):D

• 9 years later...

It’s been 10 years ago since this thread was , thai baht got very strong ,  I don’t think 20,000 bt can be possible anymore in Pattaya or Bangkok .  With the average rent at condo has gone up to 7,000 bt a month . How could Falang can survive on 13,000 after paying the rent. 

On 7/20/2009 at 10:22 AM, thaimate said:

No matter how much you budget ,you will always ,always spend more :)

Wurd. I have been working on that. At my age and with the things I enjoy doing, its a struggle. But I finally managed to break $55 a day in Bangkok by having a heart attacks and having to buy meds, switching to Mixx Russian girls and buying a whole bunch of useless crap for friends and family that I will be mailing back. Otherwise, since I dont do heavy boozing, Western food, GoGos, girlfriends or fancy restaurants its hard to spend money.