Bucky

I am 51, American and I want to get a retirement visa. I have been advised it is easier to get the retirement visa in Thailand and I need to obtain a Non Immig. type "O". Are there special requirements for qualifying for type "O" and do I actually need an "O" to obtain Retirement? I am aware of all the requirements for retirement visa but unclear as to which Non Immig. visa to obtain first. Also is Washington D.C. best bet or other locations such as NYC?

What is the best way to go.

The Thai Consulate's in Texas are the most visa friendly. Get a Non-Immigrant visa at one of them and when you arrive in Bangkok, open a bank account with 800,000 baht. Get a letter from the bank evidencing your credit, and go to Immigration in Soi Suan Plu, and apply for a one year extension and a multiple entry re-entry permit if you intend to travel out of the country a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
When you apply for your visa just make sure you get a type O. There are no special requirements for one. Once you are here you can apply at Thai Immigration. There are a few things you need to have once here eg: a letter from your bank in Bkk saying you have 800,000 baht in a non resident account, the place to get that account is the main Bangkok bank in the Sala Deang area,You need pictures (2) etc. These are all easy to come by once you are here and there are people here who will do it all for you. With a type O you don't have to leave the country to get your visa and if things are in order it is very easy. I just got my second one renewed and it was really quick and easy, If you have any more questions feel free to write me

800,000 baht in a non resident account, the place to get that account is the main Bangkok bank in the Sala Deang area,You need pictures (2) etc.

As the Dr said; any account in a bank located in Thailand should be fine but funds should have a record of foreign origin (believe wire transfer best).  As for photos, have never required more than one if done at Immigration Hqs in Bangkok.  More seem to be required when other offices must keep a copy on file.

As for 'no special requirements' for a non immigrant visa; believe most Consulates will have very specific requirements.