Resident Or Permanent Vacationer

BobMarleyWannabe

Just want to say hello, I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while and finally got the gumption to submit my first post. I am currently living in the States, I have been married to a Thai women now for over nineteen years whom I met here in the States. It took me ten years of marriage before visiting Thailand but ever since I spent a month in Thailand for the last nine years, and love it in the land of smiles. My wife owns a house in Khon Kaen, and we, I mean she just purchased a small place in Koh Chang.

I consider myself a happy go lucky guy who ("thinks") can put up with almost anything after being married to my wife and her family for nineteen years. I have learned that patience goes a long way towards keeping ones sanity. My concern is that after reading so many post it seems that many of the members are very cynical about their stay in Thailand, I have always enjoyed my time in Thailand and travelled throughout the country, but again after reading the post on this board I wonder if I should plan on being a long term vacationer rather then having a permanent address. After all the problems I read on this board dealing with visas, extended stays, scams and other crimes, and now the hair in the soup :) I am getting a bit worried about that last house payment my wife just made.

after reading the post on this board I wonder if I should plan on being a long term vacationer rather then having a permanent address.

I suspect that for most foreigners (other than those actually here on a work permit) there isn't much difference. Getting 'O' visas one year at a time doesn't necessarily guarantee permanence. If you or your missis have already shelled out for property in Thailand, you haven't much to lose by giving it a go, and the smart thing to do seems to be to have something back home in case things don't work out. The naysayers on this forum are less to be trusted than your own instincts and experience.

• 2 weeks later...
after reading the post on this board I wonder if I should plan on being a long term vacationer rather then having a permanent address.

I suspect that for most foreigners (other than those actually here on a work permit) there isn't much difference. Getting 'O' visas one year at a time doesn't necessarily guarantee permanence. If you or your missis have already shelled out for property in Thailand, you haven't much to lose by giving it a go, and the smart thing to do seems to be to have something back home in case things don't work out. The naysayers on this forum are less to be trusted than your own instincts and experience.

ACK. There is no difference between a permanent vacationer and someone with a permanent address, unless you need a work permit. He who is not happy to live here doesn't need to. BMW sounds like the guy who wants to give it a try and decide within the first year: It's either you can't stand it and will leave before the year is over, or it will take major physical effort to get you out of here.

The first two years living in Thailand, will be the best two years of your life.

After a couple of years you begin to understand the language, get a feel of whats going on around you.

After five years, you become a bit cynical.

After ten years, you accept the country for what it is.

Bingo!

Having only been a permanent vacationer for the last 9yrs I say go for it.

I soon will be making the step (19 days) :) .

Koh chang is a very nice place (lucky sod).

I've lived in the States for just over 5yrs and having dealt with visas there I'm pretty sure I can deal with

it in LOS.

Most of the guys on here wouldn't trade it in for anything else. I see the negative posts as a mere

warning.

Good luck

Been here six years now from oregon and would not change a thing. To make your stay a little more enjoyable while you decide if you want to live here full time or not, I would take care of either your retirement (OA) visa or marriage visa while in the US. Saves a lot of time after arrival and peace of mind knowing there is at least a year to think about it. You may also want to look at a mail forwarding address and how you want to do your banking (ie) recurring money transfers . Good Luck

The first two years living in Thailand, will be the best two years of your life.

After a couple of years you begin to understand the language, get a feel of whats going on around you.

After five years, you become a bit cynical.

After ten years, you accept the country for what it is.

Bingo!

Geek,i agree with you,only in my experience i have to divide into 2 your time-lags.

OMG,is the world turning faster :) ??

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum BMW!

Don't worry about the flavour of this forum...

My concern is that after reading so many post it seems that many of the members are very cynical about their stay in Thailand, I have always enjoyed my time in Thailand

You are right; most of the comments on TV are stunningly negative - it says more about the nature of forums in general, though, than it does about Thailand. Most people just want to be controversial, or are competing to be the most negative possible. It's predictable after a while: If someone dies tragically - "He/She deserved to die" will be posted, if someone is arrested - "Thai Police are corrupt scum" will be asserted. You can never expect compassion, symathy, patience or concessions.

I wonder if I should plan on being a long term vacationer rather then having a permanent address.

While you can be quite positive about whether you are 'resident' or 'non-resident' of your home country, depending on how long you've been away - you status in LOS will never quite be set in stone. Visa rules have, can and will be changed and a lot is down to your frame of mind. If you apply and gain a Permanent Resident Permit, yes, you'll become a Resident of Thailand, but the myriad of visas give only a sense of permanency and residency. For example; many permanent vacationers consider that they 'never do visa-runs to the border' however they just mean that they go on holiday every three months and don't 'consider' that they are vacationers. Likewise, those on Non-immigrant B and O visas may consider themselves residents but their situation is far from permanent.