Iq Of Thai Children To Be Improved

george

IQ of Thai children to be improved

BANGKOK: -- Thai children’s Intelligence Quotient (IQ) is expected to reach the international standard of a minimum of 100 within the next two years, according to a senior health official Wichai Thienthaworn.

The staff at all the 50 government-run nurseries across the country will be provided with training courses and career development courses under a five-year master plan as suggested by Crown Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, he said.

Children under the age of three will be given IQ-oriented courses, when most children are in nurseries, said Dr Wichai.

The international IQ standard is between 100 and 110.

In Thailand the average IQ of high school students has fallen from 92 to 89 over the last few years. The government educationalists did not specify the reasons for the drop.

The government plans to build at least one nursery in all the country’s 7,255 tambons or sub-districts. So far 5,442 tambons already have at least one nursery, he said.

--TNA 2005-02-25

I guess you have to accept "rules" when you are in a foreign country,and stick with that,farang or falang or whatever who will give a da..ed.It works for me.... :o

No, no, no. I just don't agree with the above. Would the Pakistani community in London have to accept the rules if we wanted to call them "Pakis"?

I see the situation as that I was in the equivolent of having been called a Pomme by an Aussie. Nothing bad really and no escaping the fact that i'm a "pomme".

But if I was married to an Aussie and her family referred to me as "the pomme" or she referred to me in the 3rd party as "the pomme" then I would get very irritated very fast.

Quite frankly I find it amazing that people out there allow themselves to be referred to by family as the farang... Amazing.

The base line is that essentially it is a racist term. We are not going to get rid of it, I accept this and I also accept that I am a farang and always will be. I will never be Thai and quite frankly have never wished to be or would want to be Thai. But I will never allow myself to be referred to as the farang by family or people who know me. Just because the fans at Millwall FC use the word Nigger doesn't make it right when your in the stadium does it?

Anyway, the problem is solved now as it was only a one off.

:D Good comments. As a teacher, I have to say that this topic frustrates the ###### out of me. If they simply built more schools and reduced class size, and inculcated disciplined ethics as opposed to shallow deference, I'm sure IQs would soar to what they are supposed to be. Really sad, actually, because a great many of these children are educable and smart judging by the ingenious ways in which they cheat. Trouble is, turning the tide is hard work and requires a great deal of exertion, so in my view, we are talking about more than fancy "child genius" marketing.

Anyway, my last day of school today. Forgive me if I rant.

BANGKOK: --  Thai children’s Intelligence Quotient (IQ) is expected to reach the international standard of a minimum of 100 within the next two years, according to a senior health official Wichai Thienthaworn.

The staff at all the 50 government-run nurseries across the country will be  provided with training courses and career development courses under a five-year master plan as suggested by Crown Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, he said.

Children under the age of three will be given IQ-oriented courses, when most children are in nurseries, said Dr Wichai.

In Thailand the average IQ of high school students has fallen from 92 to 89 over the last few years. The government educationalists did not specify the reasons for the drop.

The government plans to build at least one nursery in all the country’s 7,255 tambons or sub-districts. So far 5,442 tambons already have at least one nursery, he said.

--TNA 2005-02-25

:D

Now I'm confused by that!

I understood that I.Q. tests were averaged with 100 being the norm (mean).

The I.Q. was then higher or lower as compared to the mean.

Therefore to have an I.Q. average of 90 means that the average I.Q. is lower than the average (which should be 100).

Perhaps they are refering to an I.Q. based on an average of tests taken outside of Thailand compared to an average of tests taken in Thailand?

Anyhow from what I have seen of the Thai education system, the problem is not with I.Q. scores, but the teaching system that discourages THINKING about problems and instead concentrates on giving "correct" answers by rote "memorization" of the correct answers. If you don't teach students how to use what they learn to solve problems relevent to the real world, they are not educated, no matter what their I.Q. is.

But that is not a problem unique to Thailand.

:o

Off topic but here is a question for all. You heat a cup of coffee in a micro-wave. You take it out when it is just below the boiling point. Imeadiately you add sugar to it. The cup "boils over" and coffee comes out of the cup. Question: since the sugar you added is cooler than the coffee in the cup, why did adding the sugar cause the coffee to "boil"?

I guess you have to accept "rules" when you are in a foreign country,and stick with that,farang or falang or whatever who will give a da..ed.It works for me.... :o

No, no, no. I just don't agree with the above. Would the Pakistani community in London have to accept the rules if we wanted to call them "Pakis"?

I see the situation as that I was in the equivolent of having been called a Pomme by an Aussie. Nothing bad really and no escaping the fact that i'm a "pomme".

But if I was married to an Aussie and her family referred to me as "the pomme" or she referred to me in the 3rd party as "the pomme" then I would get very irritated very fast.

Quite frankly I find it amazing that people out there allow themselves to be referred to by family as the farang... Amazing.

The base line is that essentially it is a racist term. We are not going to get rid of it, I accept this and I also accept that I am a farang and always will be. I will never be Thai and quite frankly have never wished to be or would want to be Thai. But I will never allow myself to be referred to as the farang by family or people who know me. Just because the fans at Millwall FC use the word Nigger doesn't make it right when your in the stadium does it?

Anyway, the problem is solved now as it was only a one off.

:D Good comments. As a teacher, I have to say that this topic frustrates the ###### out of me. If they simply built more schools and reduced class size, and inculcated disciplined ethics as opposed to shallow deference, I'm sure IQs would soar to what they are supposed to be. Really sad, actually, because a great many of these children are educable and smart judging by the ingenious ways in which they cheat. Trouble is, turning the tide is hard work and requires a great deal of exertion, so in my view, we are talking about more than fancy "child genius" marketing.

Anyway, my last day of school today. Forgive me if I rant.

Whar are you going to do now Kat?

BANGKOK: --  Thai children’s Intelligence Quotient (IQ) is expected to reach the international standard of a minimum of 100 within the next two years, according to a senior health official Wichai Thienthaworn.

The staff at all the 50 government-run nurseries across the country will be  provided with training courses and career development courses under a five-year master plan as suggested by Crown Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, he said.

--TNA 2005-02-25

Now I'm confused by that!

I understood that I.Q. tests were averaged with 100 being the norm (mean).

The I.Q. was then higher or lower as compared to the mean.

Therefore to have an I.Q. average of 90 means that the average I.Q. is lower than the average (which should be 100).

Perhaps they are refering to an I.Q. based on an average of tests taken outside of Thailand compared to an average of tests taken in Thailand?

Anyhow from what I have seen of the Thai education system, the problem is not with I.Q. scores, but the teaching system that discourages THINKING about problems and instead concentrates on giving "correct" answers by rote "memorization" of the correct answers. If you don't teach students how to use what they learn to solve problems relevent to the real world, they are not educated, no matter what their I.Q. is.

But that is not a problem unique to Thailand.

:o

Off topic but here is a question for all. You heat a cup of coffee in a micro-wave. You take it out when it is just below the boiling point. Imeadiately you add sugar to it. The cup "boils over" and coffee comes out of the cup. Question: since the sugar you added is cooler than the coffee in the cup, why did adding the sugar cause the coffee to "boil"?

Not that anybody cares but the reason the coffee boils is that the sugar dissolves in the coffee and reduces the force holding the water molecules together ("surface tension"). So the energy of the molecules (heat energy) causes the coffee to boil over.

--TNA 2005-02-25

Well, I am not involved in the field but I have never heard oof an "International Standard" for IQ, I guess this Official means that at the moment Thai high school students have an average IQ of 89 when compared with students of the same age in other societies.

As a previous Poster pointed out, all IQ Tests are based on a Mean of 100, i.e. whatever age group or social segment - whatever - is being tested the Mean Average Score is always "100" . As an example if your score on a particular Test is "100" it means that half the group scored less than you did and half scored more.

It is therefore statistically impossible to have a minimum IQ of 100.

Patrick

i'm really confused. all three of my learning disabilitied kids have iq's way over 100. the neuro psychologist explained that the tests are based not on cultural or reading/writing skills therefore show a picture of intelligence in potential, and not actual learning... this is a far change for when iq tests were culturally based. for instance... my first daughter had to point to different pictures and state what they are: on kibbutz, no one has a washing machine or dryer (its industrial) so she couldnt identify the pics so tis was 15 yrs ago. now, the tests can be given to illiterate beduins and learning challenged kibbutzniks or kids of hi tec parents w/o these problems.

i think what happens in thailand is that kids have culturally deprived intelligence i.e. 'the potential is there but could not develop because as Kat says, they are ingenioius in all sorts fo things that i couldnt ever figure out.... i see it with thai workers who are illiterate and seem rather narrow minded but once shown something once, use the info and take it many steps further which is the real test of intelligence (problem solving etc.) from what i saw in the school system, definately culturally deprived (not culture like movie /tv, but not getting stimulation to learn)

so starting at nursery level may be good but what about continuity; from what i saw and hwat i hear , no chance and no change

i'm really confused.  all three of my learning disabilitied kids have iq's way over 100.  the neuro psychologist explained that the tests are based not on cultural or reading/writing skills therefore show a picture of intelligence in potential, and not actual learning... this is a far change for when iq tests were culturally based.  for instance... my first daughter had to point to different pictures and state what they are: on kibbutz, no one has a washing machine or dryer (its industrial) so she couldnt identify the pics so tis was 15 yrs ago.  now, the tests can be given to illiterate beduins and learning challenged kibbutzniks or kids of hi tec parents w/o these problems. 

i think what happens in thailand is that kids have culturally deprived intelligence i.e. 'the potential is there but could not develop because as Kat says, they are ingenioius in all sorts fo things that i couldnt  ever figure out.... i see it with thai workers who are illiterate and seem rather narrow minded but once shown something once, use the info and take it many steps further which is the real test of intelligence (problem solving etc.)  from what i saw in the school system, definately culturally deprived (not culture like movie /tv, but not getting stimulation to learn)

so starting at nursery level may be good but what about continuity; from what i saw and hwat i hear , no chance and no change

Exactly! Government starts it, but never continued it. This is a known pattern of Thai government for years. They always have these wonderful, problem-solving solutions. The minute these plans are implemented, they're forgotten. There is no continuity in Thai society, I would say. Not only education, but also any other aspects. The potencial is there, and they don't have a clue to tweak it to the highest level.

Golf

Interresting the Thai in charge does not seem to know what an IQ is and that increasing someones IQ not a readily acheivable goal.

The gene pool will establish the IQ for the population, and it is impossible to change it from 89 to 110, TWO standard deviations from its present point. Only someone with an IQ under 90 would even dream such an event.

Never happen.

Here is an example of a quistion in an intelligence test.

3...6...9...?

92...89...?

100 :o

You couldn't make up that original story, truly unbelievable. I guess you can get away with statements like this when the population has just as low an IQ as the politicians.

Edited by konangrit

How about removing lead, pesticides, etc. from  the food they eat and the air they breathe?

Leads level in BKK is 16 times higher than that of Los Angeles. Leads actually lower children's IQ and cause other sickness. You're right. Kids in BKK are getting slower and slower in developing their brains. Air here is also polluted, so they have lots of allergic problems.

We still haven't talked about stupid TV dramas, game shows and Internet gaming here. All of these are the real killers.

Golf

Interresting the Thai in charge does not seem to know what an IQ is and that increasing someones IQ not a readily acheivable goal. 

The gene pool will establish the IQ for the population, and it is impossible to change it from 89 to 110, TWO standard deviations from its present point. Only someone with an IQ under 90 would even dream such an event.

Never happen.

Actually, Khun Larry, IQ is not completely a function of genetics. Even the "experts" cannot agree. I think you are right that raising IQ levels is not a "readily achievable goal", but it's definitely not impossible.

Think about it: smart parents can reproduce smart offspring, but those offspring may not reach their fullest potential without the proper intellectual and environmental stimulation. While I agree that the reverse could be much harder with naturally slower kids, I don't think that is the problem with the majority of kids here. I think it is under-development and environmental (both natural and cultural/educational).

Also, if the genetic hypothesis is so flawless, why is it that Japanese and Chinese score at the top of the IQ pinnicle within their own countries, but once they become Westernized they score within the average of their host (or adopted) countries? This counters the purely genetic argument.

How about removing lead, pesticides, etc. from  the food they eat and the air they breathe?

Leads level in BKK is 16 times higher than that of Los Angeles. Leads actually lower children's IQ and cause other sickness. You're right. Kids in BKK are getting slower and slower in developing their brains. Air here is also polluted, so they have lots of allergic problems.

We still haven't talked about stupid TV dramas, game shows and Internet gaming here. All of these are the real killers.

Golf

Yes, actually there have been articles for years about how lead levels in the air were leading to decreasing IQs. It is definitely a factor, especially for developing brains. In addition to everything else of course, which is daunting.

edit

Edited by kat

nature/nurture= genetics/environment (culture etc) that explains the westernized chinese etc...

and also first generation immigrant syndrome also like the jewish 'my son the doctor./lawyer' syndrom that my parents and others of their generation suffered from. i saw it in the states w/the koreans, boat people etc....

your culture stressed what is important in your society and dictates how you are raised... u can change but it is more difficult... we call it 'moshav mentality' i.e. kids w/high i.q.'s but the family cuture stresses family and work and does not push for higher education (college) or intellectual development (also economics are play a big role) but these things can start to drift in to 'racist' elements.... however, if you look at animal breeding: certain traits including intelligence, are chosen to be bred into lines of animals... working dogs need to be intelligent and they are , fancy pet types are usually bred for prettiness and the dog's drive and intelligence are downplayed. but take an intelligent dog as a basic pet and u cant see the dog reach its full potential even though it doesnt mean its stupid; my kids are learning disabled but are reaching full potential due to extra lessons and lots of time and good treatment... which my kibbutz pays for; kids from poor moshavim w/same problem may stay (and i see it in school) in a mediocre position due to the fairly bad education system and parental lack of funds to provide the kids w/private doctors and tutors....does this make sense/

i saw many bright children in school in thailand but the system didnt challege them and the learning disablitied kids that were intelligent were definately neglected (considered stupid by their teachers).....as for children w/lower than average intelligenc, i saw many 'retarded' kids staying at home taken care of by family; the same child given good education could maybe have 'risen higher' in brain development had they received proper stimulation to maximalize their intelligence, as i see here (from exoperience w/friend's border line retarded daughter ).....

Actually, Khun Larry, IQ is not completely a function of genetics.  Even the "experts" cannot agree.  I think you are right that raising IQ levels is not a "readily achievable goal", but it's definitely not impossible.

Think about it:  smart parents can reproduce smart offspring, but those offspring may not reach their fullest potential without the proper intellectual and environmental stimulation.  While I agree that the reverse could be much harder with naturally slower kids, I don't think that is the problem with the majority of kids here.  I think it is under-development and environmental (both natural and cultural/educational).

edit

Good point. As I understand it IQ relates to potential, not achievement.

Think about it: Lets say you have two cars,

Car #1: Farang Land car max design speed 120 mph

Car #2: Thai Land car max design speed 89 mph

Car #1 can coast at 89 mph or reach the full 120 mph potential

Car #2 simply can never go 120 mph, infact may coast at 65 or 70.

In the US, there are some government jobs (postal worker) which are not open to people with IQs ABOVE the cutoff. Uncle sam says they are too intelligent for the job!

--TNA 2005-02-25

Is it really that easy?

Or does the report indicate something about the IQ of the official concerned??

Actually, Khun Larry, IQ is not completely a function of genetics.  Even the "experts" cannot agree.  I think you are right that raising IQ levels is not a "readily achievable goal", but it's definitely not impossible.

Think about it:  smart parents can reproduce smart offspring, but those offspring may not reach their fullest potential without the proper intellectual and environmental stimulation.  While I agree that the reverse could be much harder with naturally slower kids, I don't think that is the problem with the majority of kids here.  I think it is under-development and environmental (both natural and cultural/educational).

edit

Good point. As I understand it IQ relates to potential, not achievement.

Think about it: Lets say you have two cars,

Car #1: Farang Land car max design speed 120 mph

Car #2: Thai Land car max design speed 89 mph

Car #1 can coast at 89 mph or reach the full 120 mph potential

Car #2 simply can never go 120 mph, infact may coast at 65 or 70.

In the US, there are some government jobs (postal worker) which are not open to people with IQs ABOVE the cutoff. Uncle sam says they are too intelligent for the job!

:o Now that I can believe! They have enough problems with the people they already have going postal. But wait a minute - wasn't Bukowski (the writer) a postal worker?

There have always been different kinds of intelligence. Some don't sit well for tests. Speed is not always the best sign of intelligence. I always remember that when I end up putting my foot in my mouth :D