Gateway Timeout

petedk

Recently I keep getting this message:

A DNS lookup error occurred because the request timed out during the lookup

I am IE 6 and ADSL modem and Loxinfo as ISP.

The message seems to be quite random and sometimes it appears sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a refresh helps sometimes it doesn't.

I have just tried the following sites and received the message.

www.bbcnews.com

www.yahoo.com

www.thaivisa.com !!!!!

Any ideas?

when you request a web page it will go to a dns server which will look up the proper address of the page you are after, rather than the name of the site. I'm not well up on this process, but there is a thread from about amonth ago about it. If you change which dns server you link to (which is not something most people are likely to have ever done) then you should be able to connect.

The problem is, and my understanding isn't perfect on this, that many of the dns servers will cache certain sites addresses, and if they get a bum address, it stays in their cache until they refresh it. I find it happens regularly with the TRUE dns server (not sure which company they use) especially with yahoo. It's not Yahoo's fault (for once).

The thread (and arguement) is here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...8&hl=dns+server

GL

cdnvic

Let's see if its a DNS problem, or something else
I tried your advice and connected to BBC News without any problems.
Open a Command Prompt window

type in ipconfig/flushdns

hit enter

Tried this one and it didn't help. Today the problem isn't as bad. I just refresh a couple of times and I can get through.

I spoke to Loxinfo and as far as I could understand the problem was with their server. I just hope they fix it soon.

thanks anyway for your suggestions

You could just use another DNS server. There were a number of them listed in the previous thread and you can just type them into your setup after you remove the check from obtain DNS settings automatically.

It is in the connection/broadband//change settings/networking/tcp/properties if you want to give it a try. Easy to change back.