Thaksin Shinawatra Celebrates His 60th Birthday

george

Big plans for birthday boy

Ex-PM Thaksin's supporters to hold Buddhist, black-magic rites

thaksin.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Supporters of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra all over the country today plan religious ceremonies and parties on a grand scale to celebrate his 60th birthday.

They plan to continue with their campaign to collect as many as 1 million signatures to seek a Royal pardon for Thaksin, in addition to offering food to monks across the country and holding black-magic rites to boost his luck and bring him back to Thailand.

Amarin Pachonyuth, chairman of People Who Miss Thaksin, said the club would organise a service for Thaksin at Wat Kaew Fah in Nonthaburi's Bang Kruay District attended by former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, Thaksin's brother-in-law, and Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's younger sister.

Amarin said those who attended would be moved to tears, but he refused to elaborate.

The red shirts in Buri Ram are expecting over 1,000 people at a religious service for Thaksin in Nang Rong district. Surasak Petsawang, the red-shirt leader, denied that they would hold a black-magic rite for Thaksin, saying there would be only prayer and a Buddhist service.

The Chiang Mai Lovers 51 Club will mobilise more than 10,000 supporters of Thaksin to celebrate with a religious service at Wat Phrathat Haripunchai in Lamphun's Muang district and a party at night at the Grand Warorot Palace Hotel, also in Muang district. To commemorate the Buddhist Era year in which Thaksin was born, 2,492 cakes will be served and a 2,492-foot-long sheet of paper provided for supporters to write birthday wishes on, said Kanyapak Manichak, a local radio host better known as DJ Om.

They hope the paper will make the Guinness Book of Records.

The ex-leader is expected to make a phone-in address to his supporters at 9pm, Kanyapak said.

In Roi Et, a group that calls itself the Roi Et People Who Love Demo-cracy plans to hold a two-day and two-night black-magic rite at a market in Art Samart district aimed at boosting Thaksin's luck.

Chairman Wichianrachanin Sinthupria, said the group would solicit signatures from Thaksin supporters to seek a Royal pardon. He said leaders of the Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship (DAAD) led by Nattawut Saikua, Suthin Klangsaeng and Arisman Pongruangrong would be on stage.

He said the group would hold a bai si (rice-offering) rite to boost Thaksin's luck and morale because the ex-premier had visited Art Samart district to hear complaints.

Soil from eight places in which Thaksin camped out during that tour in January 2006 will be used in the rite.

The group said they would offer lunch to monks across the country at 11am and Thaksin would phone in at 8pm to his supporters, who would see him through video link.

Democrat Party spokesman Dr Buranat Samuttarak said the DAAD was within its rights to hold a |religious service for Thaksin but should not use the opportunity to solicit signatures for a Royal pardon because the Justice Ministry said that was unlawful as Thaksin had not served a jail term. He added that Thaksin's supporters should not widen divisions in the country.

In a related development, former Army chief General Sonthi Boon-yaratglin, who led a coup against Thaksin in 2006, said he saw the birthday celebration by Thaksin's supporters as a matter of faith in the ex-leader.

"There are people who love and have faith in him. It is a personal matter," he said.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, meanwhile, will monitor Thaksin's speech today in order to determine whether it contains improper messages directed at the monarchy or government, said Panich Vikitsreth, vice minister for foreign affairs.

If that is the case, the ministry will find which country it is being made from, Panich said.

"If it is found to be the United Arab Emirates, the ministry will instruct the Thai ambassador to remind the UAE of its promise not to let Thaksin use the country as a political base," he said.

"There have been no confirmed reports of Thaksin's whereabouts. We have learned only that he travels widely and it is likely that he will make a recording of the speech."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-26

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red-shirts make merit for Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- Red-shirt supporters of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra joined the merit-making ceremony at a temple in Nonthaburi on the occasion of Thaksin's 60th birthday.

The ceremony, presided by Thaksin's brother-in-law and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, was held at Kaew Fah temple on Sunday morning.

Thaksin was expected to make a phone-in address to his supporters later during the day, and had promised to unveil a big surprise on his birthday.

Nonthaburi's Bang Kruay police inspector Prasong Sirithipvanich said two companies of policemen had been deployed to oversee security at the temple.

Pro-Thaksin United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) supporters across the country, particularly in the North and Northeast, continued to visit local temples to make merit for the fugitive politician.

In Chiang Mai and Nakhon Phanom, many people made merit and gave food offerings to Buddhist monks while temples were opening happy birthday songs and organising festivities. People also signed their names in support of petition for a royal pardon for the deposed premier.

However, the atmosphere in the upper northeastern province of Sakon Nakhon was less lively.

The government was again seeking Thaksin's whereabouts in the run-up to his phone-in birthday address.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-26

good job thailand,,findim and grindim ,,every country has these guys,,less is better ,but there they are again,,something Buddist about that.I think Ill try to see how im just like him and stop that s**t now!,,LOL,, if I have the strength

Birthday celebration stats: Events were held in 57 Thai provinces today, three events in the USA (Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago) and one in England for a total of 61 events....I'm sure your English language media will expand on this information for you Farangs.

Birthday celebration stats: Events were held in 57 Thai provinces today, three events in the USA (Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago) and one in England for a total of 61 events....I'm sure your English language media will expand on this information for you Farangs.
three events in the USA (Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago)

Without doubt these world news will run on CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN.................................................................

Us Farang....Your typing skills and english are very good Perwert... :)

Funny as if he did'nt have enough good luck in the first place! And look what a mess he made of that!

Seems to me Taksin needs to admit his guilt before he can get a pardon by the King. Kind of pointless to gather all the signatures when he won't admit any wrongdoing.

He will only admit any guilt after he gets a pardon.

I try to respect all religions, and some people beleive this superstitious load of crap. Thaksin will have to stay out of Thailand until the statute of limitations expires on his sentence. Him getting a pardon is people dreaming. Maybe he will pay me to do a ritual. Cheers.

Thaksin will have to stay out of Thailand until the statute of limitations expires on his sentence.

Surprisingly to me anyway, you are correct. His conviction expires in 10 years from October 2008.

Prosecutors said Tuesday that Mr. Thaksin’s conviction would “expire” within 10 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/world/asia/22thai.html

Edited by Jingthing

The birthday of a criminal fugitive leader of a failed revolution by street thugs. This is something to celebrate?

Hey, lets leave the current PM out of this Jin thing...this is about a guy who was elected by a majority and not the current PM who was "emplaced". It is not his post.

Thaksin will have to stay out of Thailand until the statute of limitations expires on his sentence.

Surprisingly to me anyway, you are correct. His conviction expires in 10 years from October 2008.

Prosecutors said Tuesday that Mr. Thaksin’s conviction would “expire” within 10 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/world/asia/22thai.html

Just in time to start hearing a string of other charges which should keep him happy for the next 10 years or so :)

well it's so touching when Thai citizens still loves him. I think if i can be there, I'll visit that temple too.... as giving support to Mr Thaksin although i can't make any merit to him. then i shall pray with my own style for him. BTW i'm not a Buddhist.

normally, when someone celebrate birthday.... we'll be joy, having a party, with beer and.... hahaa... i think no religion ceremony held.... but for his 60th birthday... his supporter bless him...

it's true that Buddha always teach us to be a good person, loving each other, help poor people and forgiveness.... my Buddhist friend told me about that

for Mr. Thaksin, he did it... he help Thai people to improve their life, he helps poor people... for me he's a good Buddhist believer.... that's why there're so many people loves him...

i believe he's much like a political victims.... he's a good leader, good father, good entrepreneur, good citizens and a good Buddhist believer.

from the deep of my heart i pray may good bless him and may his majesty kingdom of Thailand Bhumipol Adulyadej pardoned him. I believe of his kind and wisdom of HM King Bhumipol Adulyadej...I wish Mr Thaksin a Happy birthday.... may god prolonged his age....

ผมชอบคุณทักษินมากๆ..... รักประเทศไทยมากๆ

Edited by monoli87

ANALYSIS

After the birthday bash, what's next?

By Tulsathit Taptim

The Nation

Published on July 27, 2009

It was a day when superstition, high technology and artistic creation blended almost perfectly together. And arguably only Thaksin Shinawatra can make that happen.

Rituals - from basic to extraordinary - were conducted at various temples all over Thailand, barring the Democrat-dominated southern region, to mark his 60th birthday. Red-shirted members gave alms to monks in the morning and then had their faith in Buddhism strongly tested by taking part in ceremonies that could have made Lord Buddha shake his head.

The came the "twitter" exchanges between Thaksin and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and the much-anticipated "big surprise". There was no hologram nor concrete reconciliation announcement, and analysts could only watch wide-eyed when a video of Thaksin singing a specially-composed song, "I'll be back", was played and described as the "big surprise" everyone had been talking about.

In all, Thaksin's "sae yid" events were meant for superstitious results as much as political ones. Holy knives were used to "cut" his karma (sins). Clods of earth were gathered from eight directions and blessed in order to reinforce his stars. His photo was attached to a coffin in a "sadoh kroh" ceremony to dispel his misfortunes. Overturned monks' bowls were put right side up to signify that the boycott he had endured would come to an end. One of his portraits was bound with thorny wintergreen branches, which were later cut off. Wintergreen's name in Thai is rakam, which also means suffering.

Politically, Thaksin has shown his opponents that his support in Thailand remains strong. This can also go a long way to repairing the international damage to his reputation from the Songkran events. Thaksin over the past few days has tried to repaint himself as a peaceful man and erase the image of the belligerent one whose rabblerousing helped shove the country to the brink of bloodshed in April.

Whether or not those political aims of his "sae yid" events will be met, the latest Abac poll gave him a narrow edge in popularity against Abhisit for the first time in months. Abhisit, who remains more liked in Bangkok and the South, sent Thaksin an ambiguous tweet saying the former leader would be happier on his birthday if his eyes could see dharma. Thaksin gave a polite twitter thank-you reply that ended with "If you need any help on national affairs, I'm pleased to help".

As with various Thaksin big shows, yesterday's events carried various objectives so he must have met some targets. But since a person can have only one birthday a year, the question after the sae yid parties has to be "Now, what's next?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/27

Edited by webfact

ANALYSIS

By Tulsathit Taptim

The Nation

It was a day when superstition, high technology and artistic creation blended almost perfectly together. And arguably only Thaksin Shinawatra can make that happen.

Rituals - from basic to extraordinary - were conducted at various temples all over Thailand, barring the Democrat-dominated southern region, to mark his 60th birthday. Red-shirted members gave alms to monks in the morning and then had their faith in Buddhism strongly tested by taking part in ceremonies that could have made Lord Buddha shake his head.

The came the "twitter" exchanges between Thaksin and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and the much-anticipated "big surprise". There was no hologram nor concrete reconciliation announcement, and analysts could only watch wide-eyed when a video of Thaksin singing a specially-composed song, "I'll be back", was played and described as the "big surprise" everyone had been talking about.

In all, Thaksin's "sae yid" events were meant for superstitious results as much as political ones. Holy knives were used to "cut" his karma (sins). Clods of earth were gathered from eight directions and blessed in order to reinforce his stars. His photo was attached to a coffin in a "sadoh kroh" ceremony to dispel his misfortunes. Overturned monks' bowls were put right side up to signify that the boycott he had endured would come to an end. One of his portraits was bound with thorny wintergreen branches, which were later cut off. Wintergreen's name in Thai is rakam, which also means suffering.

Politically, Thaksin has shown his opponents that his support in Thailand remains strong. This can also go a long way to repairing the international damage to his reputation from the Songkran events. Thaksin over the past few days has tried to repaint himself as a peaceful man and erase the image of the belligerent one whose rabblerousing helped shove the country to the brink of bloodshed in April.

Whether or not those political aims of his "sae yid" events will be met, the latest Abac poll gave him a narrow edge in popularity against Abhisit for the first time in months. Abhisit, who remains more liked in Bangkok and the South, sent Thaksin an ambiguous tweet saying the former leader would be happier on his birthday if his eyes could see dharma. Thaksin gave a polite twitter thank-you reply that ended with "If you need any help on national affairs, I'm pleased to help".

As with various Thaksin big shows, yesterday's events carried various objectives so he must have met some targets. But since a person can have only one birthday a year, the question after the sae yid parties has to be "Now, what's next?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/27

Ad nauseam

ANALYSIS

By Tulsathit Taptim

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/27

Ad nauseam

This is not the whole story folks. The real "surprise" has been blocked and avoided. This English Language Media misdirection is mind-boggling. And you Farangs lap it up, taking it all at face-value - unbelievable. Where are the reports on the television channels, the primary content of the "surprise".............You wont find it in the media or on this board.

This is not the whole story folks. The real "surprise" has been blocked and avoided. This English Language Media misdirection is mind-boggling. And you Farangs lap it up, taking it all at face-value - unbelievable. Where are the reports on the television channels, the primary content of the "surprise".............

From the top story on Nation's front page:

9.30 pm: It's official, again, that the "big surprise" is Thaksin's plan to set up "global TV networks" to promote Thai Otop products, broadcast reality shows about Thai poverty and possible solutions, as well as provide education programmes for Thai students.

Still pathetic.

ANALYSIS

By Tulsathit Taptim

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/27

Ad nauseam

This is not the whole story folks. The real "surprise" has been blocked and avoided. This English Language Media misdirection is mind-boggling. And you Farangs lap it up, taking it all at face-value - unbelievable. Where are the reports on the television channels, the primary content of the "surprise".............You wont find it in the media or on this board.

For various reasons and indications I believe that you're a Farang too! :) MHO

The birthday of a criminal fugitive leader of a failed revolution by street thugs. This is something to celebrate?

Hey, lets leave the current PM out of this Jin thing...this is about a guy who was elected by a majority and not the current PM who was "emplaced". It is not his post.

Exactly, I concur

:)

Why don't you let us in on the 'real' big surprise then? They were saying it would astonish the entire world! I'm still quite able to use my internet to read off shore websites, let us know where this mega surprise is hiding. Possibly in Liberia with Dear Leader?

Why don't you let us in on the 'real' big surprise then? They were saying it would astonish the entire world! I'm still quite able to use my internet to read off shore websites, let us know where this mega surprise is hiding. Possibly in Liberia with Dear Leader?

Evidently, Ferwert isn't aware of the tonnes of media available regarding such matters.

Edited by zzaa09

Evidently, Ferwert isn't aware of the tonnes of media available regarding such matters.

Evidently Furwarts whole reason for being here is to sew the seeds of doubt about

ALL anti-Thaksin sources of information, so that MAYBE people might believe that :

'The complete and total congregation of western or Asian aimed English speaking media

is TOTALLY oblivious to the truth and facts in Thailand, or is actively lying 'to get Thaksin',

because some 12 bad elite families have such a hammer lock on ALL information,

that no ENGLISH papers can get ANY REAL INFORMATION.'

It's ALL A CONSPIRACY... but it's REALLY from the SIDE he spins for.

Does he say ANYTHING else ever? On any other subject?

Oh gee wiz a source of info in english.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255207270012

The former Prime Minister then elaborated that three of the channels would be allocated for Thai people, including OTOP publicity, SMEs entrepreneurs’ outcome display and a reality show about hardship of the poor. As for education development, he added that he would also make lectures available on the internet for youth to revise their lessons online.

So Thaksin is going to invest in television systems with 100 channels.

So he buys himself more propaganda dissemination angles.

So what a big surprise, I am sure the Dems are not exactly quaking.

If he just invested in Thailand like his 2.2 billion $ in projects like rice irragation and transport and setting up co-ops,

he could lower the number of POOR, not tell their story to his target audience.

The big surprise is not a surprise at all, he is just running is mouth on more ways.

And ignores the fact that the government must license their access to Thailand even from satalite.

And his ownership of same grand 100 stations invalidates him as a candidate for office, because it conflict of interest...

Talk about living double standards.

PS the Bangkok Post has the TV station thing too, so.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion...se-from-thaksin

Best he can do is invest in a consortium putting up a satellite sometime in the future,

or rent some bandwidth and aim it at Thailand. Maybe on Asia sat or the Shinsat he sold off.

So what will this be :

Jakrapob TV from exile?

Nutterwhat follows a red family through their day?

Khun Samak's Cooked Goose recipes

Red News and Opinion Channel

Verra's Home Shopping club;

Thakin's This Old House:

as he house hunts in Fuji and Ghana and...

Edited by animatic