Iphone Learning Thai Apps Available

SNGLIFE

Must haves from iTunes store for intermediate to advanced (and daring beginners):

MyWords - Thai: Displays 10 new Thai words daily. Includes Thai text and English phonetics. Includes native speaker and voice recorder to compare yourself. Includes ability to bank tricky words so you can re-study them.

Thai Dict - Type English word and get Thai word (in Thai text with English hints).

• 2 weeks later...

What about WordPower? Is it worth the $9?

you want something that re-enforces pronounciation.

Must haves from iTunes store for intermediate to advanced (and daring beginners):

MyWords - Thai: Displays 10 new Thai words daily. Includes Thai text and English phonetics. Includes native speaker and voice recorder to compare yourself. Includes ability to bank tricky words so you can re-study them.

Thai Dict - Type English word and get Thai word (in Thai text with English hints).

Some aps don't have Thai script. Some don't have sound.

In my opinion, Thai aps without script or sound are useless for beginners.

WordPower and MyWords are similar in quality (same company).

The are both at the top of the Thai ap learning heap (slick products).

WordPower comes with 2001 words in 75 categories.

Like MyWords, it has sound, Thai script, and transliteration.

You can listen, record your version, playback to compare.

You can save to a word bank.

The differences between the two:

WordPower has flashcards and MyWords has a word matching game.

WordPower has 2001 Thai words, MyWords ads ten now words a day (forever?)

I have all of the iPhone aps for Thai so if you have any questions, just ask.

I am a little surprised that WordPower doesn't seem to let you chose b/w male or female native speaker.

What about ipood Thai... I love this one.

Another good one, but a lot more basic.

English - Thai script - transliteration - sound.

Listed by category or the complete list (alphabetical).

Has a range of both phrases and words.

You can create favourites.

I'm not sure what ice skating is doing in there though...

I am a little surprised that WordPower doesn't seem to let you chose b/w male or female native speaker.

It is odd that male phrases (crap) are spoken by a women. But then again, I didn't find any male voices in my quick whip around. This one is saving money by only using a female voice, so it's good for females anyway.

And I want to add that the sound files are not of great quality. They are ok, just not what they could be (but I don't know anything about developing for iPhone aps so there might be something there). As these are early ap days, I assume they will eventually be improved.

A quick look at MyWords ten words for today... it is using a female voice too... with what I believe is slightly better quality than found in WordPower.

Word choices in MyWords: You can fiddle with the dates on the calender to go back in time, but I don't know if that means you can get to beginners words or not as mine keeps jumping back to November 2008.

• 1 month later...

Do you know of a good Thai Dictionary or a Thai alphabet app? I bought iStudy Thai Alphabet and it is so very basic that it is next to worthless and Thai Dict which displays very small Thai characters and does not have transliteration. I am coming to the conclusion that they are just not out there.

Thanks, zen

Do you know of a good Thai Dictionary or a Thai alphabet app? I bought iStudy Thai Alphabet and it is so very basic that it is next to worthless and Thai Dict which displays very small Thai characters and does not have transliteration. I am coming to the conclusion that they are just not out there.

Thanks, zen

As far as I can tell, there aren't any decent dictionaries with transliteration. But transliteration or no, the best is still thai2english.com. You can get to thai2english.com via Safari. You'll need to zoom in to get larger text.

Thanks, zen

I found one with transliteration (uses Paiboon).

It has about 7000 words.

English Thai Dictionary Aanthai

Can you make a listing with all the apps available in the iTunes store and rate them ?

thx a lot by advance.

All of the Thai apps? :)

I won't rate them (too much work), but I am writing summaries by subject. I have around 130 iPhone apps that help with learning Thai, living in Thailand, etc. Dictionaries, phrasebooks, translators, travel, flashcards, lessons, quizs... etc. It took months for the apps to start showing up, and now there's finally enough to do something with it. And now my iPhone is choking...

Can you make a listing with all the apps available in the iTunes store and rate them ?

thx a lot by advance.

All of the Thai apps? :)

I won't rate them (too much work), but I am writing summaries by subject. I have around 130 iPhone apps that help with learning Thai, living in Thailand, etc. Dictionaries, phrasebooks, translators, travel, flashcards, lessons, quizs... etc. It took months for the apps to start showing up, and now there's finally enough to do something with it. And now my iPhone is choking...

maybe i was not clear, just the full "learn" apps, not the dictionnaries, travel guide, lite apps etc...

if i search and write the word "thai" in the search bar, i don't have 130 apps appear in my iTunes.

anyway a simply question : what's the best for you ? (learning app)

i need to buy one, but i still don't know which one to choose...

Edited by Blusher

if i search and write the word "thai" in the search bar, i don't have 130 apps appear in my iTunes.

anyway a simply question : what's the best for you ? (learning app)

i need to buy one, but i still don't know which one to choose...

The reason why you are not coming up with many is because the search in apps is not very good.

At the beginning of this post two were mentioned...

But it's all down to what you need to learn.

At the moment, I don't use any of them.

If anything, I'm more suited to using the microphone (recording Thais on the street) or the flashcard apps.

• 1 month later...

thx a lot by advance.

This list of Thai phrase books for the iPhone are not rated as such, but reviewed.

But I will create a spread sheet of sorts to make it easier to scan through what each have on offer.

As for rating, it is really up to what each person needs from a Thai phrase book.

The lack of polite particles was a surprise. As was the absence of even the bare minimum explanation of the Thai culture and language. But... it is early days for iPhone apps...

The rest of the apps will be reviewed by subject.

(Suggestions are welcome)

• 5 months later...

Can anyone recommend a good flashcard type app for learning the Thai script?

Ideally it would display either the Thai character or the English character and then when I 'turn it over' I see the opposite.

I found one that displays the Thai character and then says the name of it but I can't really hear it that well so not sure what the sound for the char is.

Any better ones?

Thanks.

From what I've been able to find (I have a post in the wings), for learning the Thai alphabet there are three options.

Only one has sound:

Thai Alphabet App

The others are sound free:

Thai Alphabet QuickRef

iStudy: Thai Alphabet

If you've been using Thai Alphabet Ap, then check your iPhone settings because the one I have is loud and clear (I can hear it without using earphones). If you have a fourth ap, could you please share here?

• 2 weeks later...

I've just purchased Genko Cards for the ipod which I think is good.

It is flash card based but for learning words rather than the script.

Some of the photos are a bit hard to tell what they are trying to show but overall I like it.

Looking for a phrase one now - any ideas?

e-dict is an electronic talking dictionary that shows thai script, english transliteration and will correctly speak the word by native speaker. It is the best one in this respect. Can enter english, or thai, . It speaks english also so thai people can use it.

I looked at all available and compared.

Pantip has them.

An excellent App for Learning Thai - Search for: uTalk Thai by EuroTalk

I cant fault it and for under US$10, its a bargain!

If you're after some reviews on great Thai Language Learning Resources, this site called www.mythaireviews.com. Check it out!

Hope these help!

Cheers

Brett

• 1 month later...

anki iphone app 1.1 came out two weeks ago and includes support for sound although it's a little quirky getting the sound uploaded. BUT, it's pretty great having the SRS with sound on the iphone without needing a network connection - long time coming.

note it's a paid app though - $25 us.

It took me a lot longer than I intended, but here you go:

Previously:

[/url]Coming soon: iPhone apps: Thai Dictionaries

There are some clear winners. There is also room for improvement, but it's still early days yet in designing iPhone apps.

A new one just came out that is more like a Thai course than a phrasebook or vocab trainer: SurvivalPhrases - Thai

It's US$19.99. When I purchased it, the app itself had a half price ad (miffed me a bit) so hunt around for the sale if you do aim to get it.

After playing around with the app, I'm certainly not happy paying what I did... maybe it's that half off thing...

And uTalk Thai now has a larger version - uTalk HD Thai.

I have both and I'll compare them tomorrow.

What do you mean 'with English hints'? Mine is pure Thai script. Anyone know a dictionary with transliteration too?

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...