Thailand Is Crime Capital For Britons According To

churchill

As many as seven per cent of British travellers have been victims of crime overseas in the last five years, it was revealed today.

A total of five per cent have had personal belongings stolen, with four per cent having money taken while abroad, a survey found.

Beach patrol: As many as seven per cent of Britons have been victims of crime abroad in the last five years

Also, one per cent have been the victim of a physical or sexual assault while holidaying overseas, the survey of 2,000 UK adults found.

Based purely on the number of incidents involving Britons, Spain is the leading crime country for UK visitors.

This is unsurprising due to the fact that Spain plays host to huge numbers of British visitors.

More...Why holidaying in the UK costs more than in the Costas

Airlines accused of profiting from customer booking mistakes

The world's best nudist beaches revealed as tourists dare to bare

Proportionately, Thailand is the country where Britons are most likely to become crime victims, with one in 13 suffering a crime incident there.

Spain is, in fact, comparatively safe, with only five times as many incidents of crime against Britons than Thailand even though Spain receives 36 times the number of UK tourists as Thailand.

Special task force: Thailand employs tourist police to protect holidaymakers

France and Turkey take second and third place as the countries with the highest number of crimes against British visitors in the last five years, although they also receive a comparatively high number of holidaymakers which explains the figures.

Portugal the USA, India and Italy also make it into the top ten countries where Britons experience crime.

Insureandgo founder Perry Wilson said: 'Going on holiday should be an enjoyable, relaxing time but unfortunately millions of people have their trips ruined when they become the victims of crime.'

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office offers advice on their website for victims of crime when they are abroad and holidaymakers should check www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/things-go-wrong/crime/

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-...0#ixzz0MSB1D6Sf

Strange they should say Spain no1,my friend went into a bank there to draw 5000 euros cash for his builder, he got in his car put his bag on the pass seat, the door opened and a colored gentleman relieved him of it,.,.the hand was in and out of the car in seconds,.by the time he got out and around the other side he was gone, the police said its a regular thing !,. :)

This is old news. Read this same story many months ago.

re-runs do help . less many forget of course. brits by the way are not the only ones who are victimised. also, often they end up as victims of brits who have left britain long ago. sad but true.

Edited by bobright

Actually an interesting article, but begs the question...why so many in Thailand ??

The average kuhn somchai tea leaf generally doesnt know the nationality, other that the victim is a farang, therefore suggests to me a few thing:

1. British tourists in Thailand spend more time drunk than other nationalities, therefore making themselves a easier victims ??

2. British tourists in Thailand are more trusting than other nationalities and therefore let themselves get into compromising positions and therefore become a victim ??

3. Its the attitude of the tourists, ie gobbing off etc etc..

4. More tourists from the UK than other nationalities therefore statisically the numbers who are victims of crime will be higher...

Any thoughts ?

Actually an interesting article, but begs the question...why so many in Thailand ??

The average kuhn somchai tea leaf generally doesnt know the nationality, other that the victim is a farang, therefore suggests to me a few thing:

1. British tourists in Thailand spend more time drunk than other nationalities, therefore making themselves a easier victims ??

2. British tourists in Thailand are more trusting than other nationalities and therefore let themselves get into compromising positions and therefore become a victim ??

4. More tourists from the UK than other nationalities therefore statisically the numbers who are victims of crime will be higher...

Any thoughts ?

Though it wouldn't surprise me if you are correct with the above assumptions, the original post only refers to Britons and does not mention other nationalities - to justify your comments we would need to have figures for other nationalities to compare them to.

Spain is, in fact, comparatively safe, with only five times as many incidents of crime against Britons than Thailand even though Spain receives 36 times the number of UK tourists as Thailand.

Thailand receives almost 1 million tourists from the UK per year. Spain gets 36 million!? :)

Any thoughts ?

Regarding point 4 of your post. I think Brits are 1 or 2 on the list of western visitors to Thailand, so you could be right there.

Alot of Brits also have a tendency to dismiss government health warnings, often thinking they are invincible. Others possess a 'have a go' or 'bold/brave' or even 'rule Brittania' attitude. I deliberately omitted 'stupid'. A few even featuring a football hooligan/ yob in Thai bar mentality(see youtube clip) posted recently. Shame on him by the way. Subsequently,the above, thinking they are on home turf, let their guard down and unfortunately become victims. I'm generalising of course but food for thought.

regards Bojo

Any thoughts ?

Nice angle. Blame the victims for acting like easy prey.

It's not the criminals that need to be taught a lesson it's the tourists for gobbing off and being too trustworthy and drunk in a country that encourages such behaviour.

. You may be onto something here.

Brits = Easy target.

With so many Brits over here that are SAS - you would think they know better!!!

Edited by Geekfreaklover

'With so many Brits over here that are SAS - you would think they know better!!! '

That's only in the bars you go into mate. in mine its Foreign legion.

You forgot about the SBS, When i first visited Koh Samui there was no airport, Everyone travelled by night boat :)

I'm dutch got almost beaten to death by the professional security crew of Insomnia club Pattaya mainly consisting of police and army. Because they didn't give me my discount or I caught a servant stealing. I don't know the real cause, or she made up some strange story that they attacked me with seven heroically with a well studied attack, because they were maybe caught in part of the deal? The police didn't do anything even after I pressed charges three times. Yesterday a saw a guy stolen from 1000 bath, and beaten up a little in Pattaya on tv3 I believe, nation wide, where was my newsflash? Not that I want to be shown, but just to prove where the priority's lay. Not to good for tourism I guess. Broken nose, crushed ribs, severe bruises everywhere after a 15 second attack I got away from by jumping the stairs and my reflexes. If I hadn't had such a hard head, they'd beat me to dead and show me as a victim of a gang ambushed and robbed and left dead in some ditch, or a suicide jumping off a building. Like they wanted to kill a cockroach. It's just what counts more Buddha or face/bribes. Nowadays face and bribes get the overhand, like anywhere else in the world because governments show people that way, solomny swearing on some higher power that they in reality despise. I don't bow to that, sorry.

Statistics are for losers. If you go places where there is no support from the police, and do stupid things, then naturally you WILL be taken advantage of. Getting drunk and spending time in questionable places is looking for a place for a crime to happen. Then, having some crime committed by a local is hardly anyone's fault but the so called victim. I've never had any problem in Thailand, and I've been in lots of questionable areas, but then I never get drunk or do stupid things to attract attention.

Sometimes things add up and you'll attract the wrong attention, is it still still the victims fault. Been a clubby for more than ten years in Europe, got loads of attention, run a bar for 10 years in the Netherlands, I know my ways, two guys tried to beat me up once. Here it happened, severely! Almost got robbed in walking street, tipsy, got into Insomnia to dance a little, not to great, but ok, got ripped off 100 bath, ok, see the same thing happening to another guy, interfere. Is that undone? Law and crew would be on my side most of the time, this time not, but can happen in Europe too. Don't mind being a loser, as long as I'm on the good side! Winning isn't everything.

In Europe it's quite normal to get out alone and have it your way, havin' fun, here you're an easy victim. Cause of nature? Hierarchy? Money matters a bit more.

I've gone out alone hundreds of times at night in Thailand and have never had any problems at all.

In Europe it's quite normal to get out alone and have it your way, havin' fun, here you're an easy victim. Cause of nature? Hierarchy? Money matters a bit more.

I've gone out alone hundreds of times at night in Thailand and have never had any problems at all.

Most of the time me neither, but one day it can happen, just like car crashes or anything else. What one defines as normal is despised by another. If roads cross you can bump in to another!?

But did you return home alone? :)

Tell us, go on, do. :D:D

Agree with what you've said, if you're sensible, don't get rolling drunk, and become abusive, then usually there are no problems inThailand.

I agree. I already gone out some thousands of times in Bangkok, Pattaya and some other cities. NO PROBLEM! NO THEFT! and NOT BEATEN UP!

'With so many Brits over here that are SAS - you would think they know better!!! '

That's only in the bars you go into mate. in mine its Foreign legion.

You forgot about the SBS, When i first visited Koh Samui there was no airport, Everyone travelled by night boat :)

Hilarious, great humour. nice one.

Regards Bojo