Need Help Finding Furniture In Thailand

In all my years travelling to Thailand, I never looked for any furniture but now that Rattana and I will be relocating back to live out our retirement in Chiayaphum, I need some help finding retailers that might have something resembling our furniture and bedding needs.

We've been doing some minor upgrades on her home there but we are at a loss as to where to find certain furniture items we would like to purchase.

We'd like TWO full sized beds (not queens or kings and not twins) with customized frames that would place the top of the mattresses at 26" from the ground. While we would like a good quality mattress, we'd rather have one of those Swedish mattresses. The frame should match the wood or bamboo on a matching tall clothing storage unit and chest of drawers (or perhaps two.

We'd like to purchase a Lazyboy Chair for me as I have some arthritis problems.

We are considering if we want or need a 7 ft. long couch (one with two sections that flip up to elevate the legs would be a plus).

We'd like to have a look at coffee and end tables and standing lamp offerings like what we call "christmas tree lighting" here in Texas. A computer desk may be on the shopping list as well as a 4 system TV and VCR and DVD/CD player that will play tapes, discs recorded in the U.S. and in Thailand. TV and VCR/DVD/CD players should be able to play NTSC, Pal, Secam, and whatever the other world format is.

I'm hoping that you will be the person that can direct us to the retailer/wholesaler than can provide for our needs. IF our needs can be found in a store in Chiayaphum or even Korat or Udon Thani instead of Bangkok or Pattaya, that too would be a plus.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance,

Kenneth R. and Rattana M. Bower

San Antonio Texas/Chiayaphum Thailand

[email protected]

There are many good furniture shops in MBK near the National Stadium, and also in Central World Plaza off Rajadamri Road. Prtetty sure I saw something along the lines you are looking for at Central World. There are also several shops over by Chatuchak. Outdoor furniture sales may not want to go that route, poor quality.

You would probably be better off spending 2 days in BKK sourcing this kind of gear and then having it shipped up to your house. the mattress could be tailormade by someone like Slumberland or Sealy local brand owners in Thailand - both of which could be organised through the Emporium dept store. It wont be cheap as its custom made, and by that, it will probably take them a month to make them. They could also make divan bases to the same size as opposed to having to buy seperate bed frames. If you prefer bed frames, they will also be able to have these made to order to fit the mattresses.

Whilst your in Emporium, walk over to their electrical section for the TV/DVD etc you want - they have pretty much the most extensive range of mid-high range gear from major manufacturers e.g Sony, Panasonic, Sharp etc.

Lazyboy recliners and sofa sets are also sold extensively in Thailand so most likely stocked in Emporium including the sofa sets that have the pop up footrests. Again Emporium also has lots of occassional furniture tables.

End result is that you may be able to get it all in one store. If the total is big enough, they will deliver it for either free or a relatively small charge. Another option is the Central department store further down Sukhumvit in Chidlom.

Neither of these are the cheapest options, however it will save you doing a lot of running around and the quality of the these stores is generally very good.