What Do You Think Of Atkins/caveman Diet?

MrHammer

As a long term diet?

No (or very few) carbs would mean cutting out rice entirely and noodles.

Then eating lean meat, easy with all the chicken available and substitute rice with salads.

Also eat lots of nuts.

I much prefer this diet to one lacking in protein. I've found I need meat and lots of it to not feel hungry.

If I go only carbs, rice, salad, noodles it doesnt matter I feel hungry.

So I conclude a healthy diet needs less carbs and more protein at least for me,

What do you think about rice and cutting it out?

In short, your body needs carbohydrates as energy, especially if you're exercising. It all depends on how you want to shift your carb/protein/fat intake around, though I believe a moderate diet is 50%/25%/25%. 40/30/30 is popular with exercising. Low carb diets are typically short lived and ineffective in the long term, though dropping your carb intake to 30% should be ok. I prefer to stay around 40-50%.

It's a good choice if your wanting to lose weight in a short period of time. I wouldn't want to to do it long term though. A better way would be to use it to achieve your goal weight. Then move to a more healthy and balanced diet. Limit any carbohydrates to breakfast and early afternoon. Avoid them totally in the evening.

As a long term diet?

it worked for me. many years. i liked it. what i did not like last november was the quadruple bypass (not stents but open heart operation) :)

Would you attribute this to Atkins?

I do Atkins sometimes to lose weight and it usually sees me eating much more healthily, salads, olives. I don't actually eat much more meat, fats or oils.

• 3 weeks later...

Train your body to be a fat burner instead of a sugar burner. The Atkins will do this but you can modify it. On your protien days eat no more than 60 grams of carbs. (rice, potatoes, sugar, noodles) eat unlimited vegetables cabbage, broccali, aspargus any vegetable that takes as much energy to digest as you get out of it. On the 3rd day and then 4 days later eat unlimited starchy carbs. rice, potatoe, and bread but limit the amt. of protien and fat. These carb. load days recharge the liver with glycogen for use later.

You can check out this eating plan on Natural Hormonal enhancement. I have been on this plan for about 2 months and I am loosing weight.

• 2 months later...
As a long term diet?

No (or very few) carbs would mean cutting out rice entirely and noodles.

Then eating lean meat, easy with all the chicken available and substitute rice with salads.

Also eat lots of nuts.

I much prefer this diet to one lacking in protein. I've found I need meat and lots of it to not feel hungry.

If I go only carbs, rice, salad, noodles it doesnt matter I feel hungry.

So I conclude a healthy diet needs less carbs and more protein at least for me,

What do you think about rice and cutting it out?

You really need to read the book. The various stages are all different and only the first one is really tough. After that, you can eat them in restricted amounts that you adjust depending on the effect they are having on your weight.

I did well on it health wise, but am lazy about preparing my own food and dropped it after a while living alone.

Truth is any diet will work if you follow thru with it all the way to the end and modify your eating habits for life !!! Otherwise... even with weight watchers the weight will come back. You go back to eating the way that got you fat in the first place and you go back to being fat. Simple as 2 plus 2.

Truth is any diet will work if you follow thru with it all the way to the end and modify your eating habits for life !!! Otherwise... even with weight watchers the weight will come back. You go back to eating the way that got you fat in the first place and you go back to being fat. Simple as 2 plus 2.

Agreed....All these fad diets, pills & potions are all absolute BS...

Sensible diet and exercise, the only things you need.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

All diets work in the same way; you must take in less energy than you expend. Atkins focuses on Protein and fats which helps the dieter feel full for longer and makes eating inconvenient by restricting all the usual foods that people overeat.

My favourite diet is Body-for-Life - although it's a shameless advertisement for EAS protein powder, it contains solid advice about eating small regular meals, balancing protein with carbs, and exercising regularly doing resistance and cardio work. It's the Switzerland of diets; perfectly half-way between the two extremes of Atkins and Weightwatchers.

Although critics gave the author Bill Phillips some stick about basically popularising a bodybuilding approach, BFL is as relevant now as it was when it was published a decade ago, and will continue to be a valuable resource 10 years hence. Read the entire approach on Wikipedia if you are interested.