Hiring A Car: Which Company Blocks The Least Off Your Credit Card?

DrFluffy

I want to hire a car for around 11 days, I'm probably going to pay around 11,000 - 13,000 for this period.

My question is are there any Thai Car Hire companies that charge less than 20,000b (they block this as a deposit). It wouldn't be so bad if they released it again once I returned the car, but in my experieance it can take weeks, many calls and emails to get the money un-blocked.

I also want to rent a GPS so I can actually get out of BKK, but they want 22,000 deposit for that as well :)

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by blocked. When i rent a car they simply hold onto my credit card details. No money is taken nor is any money "blocked".

BTW - i highly recommend Thai Rent a Car. Excellent service, good cars, and quite often cheap deals. I just rented a Fortuner from them for just 2000 baht a day.

Not sure what you mean by blocked. When i rent a car they simply hold onto my credit card details. No money is taken nor is any money "blocked".

BTW - i highly recommend Thai Rent a Car. Excellent service, good cars, and quite often cheap deals. I just rented a Fortuner from them for just 2000 baht a day.

Seconded re ThaiRentaCar - excellent company. They only take an impression of your credit card for the deposit, and give it back to you to tear up when you return the car, never had a problem.

BTW, compare their quoted rates direct with booking them via the ThaiVisa car Rentals link on this forum. I've found the latter to be cheaper, and the service from the company is the same.

^ Correct. Book a Thairentacar (TRAC) via fastcarhire.co.uk (FCH), which is where ThaiVisa car rentals url takes you, and get a better price and same excellent service from TRAC. I second the comment that they merely take your card details and never place any 'holds' on your plastic. One thing to note with FCH bookings; if there's any chance of bringing the car back earlier than booked, they will NOT process a refund. It's in the small print. So if you aren't sure of the exact return date, better to book 'short' and call in the extension before the end. They are happy with that and you will pay only for what you use.

I used Avis and Sixt a couple of times and they do swipe your card and place a temporary 'hold' but never had any problems with revocation. In fact, the 'hold' is usually gone within 24-hours of the initial swipe as they are just checking that your plastic has the funds and do not block those funds for the duration of the rental.

Edited by NanLaew

Anyone have any experience with Sawasdee Rent a Car?

I'd prefer to use Thai Rent a Car, but Sawasdee rate's of 33,000 baht for one month with a Fortuner is hard to beat - yes it's manual and it isn't brand new, but i can live with that.

^ Correct. Book a Thairentacar (TRAC) via fastcarhire.co.uk (FCH), which is where ThaiVisa car rentals url takes you, and get a better price and same excellent service from TRAC. I second the comment that they merely take your card details and never place any 'holds' on your plastic. One thing to note with FCH bookings; if there's any chance of bringing the car back earlier than booked, they will NOT process a refund. It's in the small print. So if you aren't sure of the exact return date, better to book 'short' and call in the extension before the end. They are happy with that and you will pay only for what you use.

The two or three times I've booked through fastcarhire, they've only taken a sterling deposit and stated the balance in Baht to be paid direct to ThaiRentaCar, I suppose that protects them from any violent changes in the exchange rate. So I guess you'd have to try and get a refund from TRAC, but in principle I agree with that advice. There's certainly no problem about extending a rental period, albeit at TRAC's going rate rather than the original quote. We had an extra week's holiday last November thanks to the yellow-shirt protesters, and TRAC were a bit twitchy at first when I couldn't tell them exactly when we would be returning the vehicle, but in the end they were very helpful, and their chap was waiting on the steps of the Bkk Exhibition Centre (where we had to check in) to take it back.

Also used Thairentacar. Hired a car for 5 weeks(chevy optra estate) last year with a GPS.

Had no problems, Except they didn't want to charge the final 5 days of my rental

at the monthly rate but did after I protested

Just booked for September but with a Pattaya company

as newer model vigo , much cheaper rates for vigo and gps

Edited by asiancup2007

Dont know about thairent a car, I have used highway rent a car on Rama 4. They only require 3000 baht deposit.

One of my friends rented from this place and even wrecked the car, no problem they just kept the 3000 baht.

Whereabouts on Rama IV are they located???

Dont know about thairent a car, I have used highway rent a car on Rama 4. They only require 3000 baht deposit.

One of my friends rented from this place and even wrecked the car, no problem they just kept the 3000 baht.

As with many others thairent a car, but look carefully on the web site at their promotions:

Example of current promotion:

thairentacar

You can get a 35% discount for the right credit card...OR you can also get the same discount with a freely and instantly obtainable customer loyalty card from Tops or Robinsons etc. So book it and then turn up with your card. This promo on till 31 August...but there will be more on the way for later dates. :)