24 Inch Monitor - Searching, Searching

NewGuy

I want to buy a 24 inch monitor (1920x1080, hdmi) but don't have a good idea of what is available that would suit me.

I will use it too many hours each day for MS Word, Excel, etc, lots of browsing (so text has to be excellent), photoshop from time to time; I mainly like strategy games like CIV and am not an avid first person shooter fan. I will hardly ever play dvd movies on this monitor.

I would like it to have a wide visibility range, like 170+ x 170+ and be very easy on the eyes. USB hub would be nice but not really important.

I don't want a high reflection unit. I don't want a tv tuner and will ignore speakers and web cam, if built in.

It will be driven by a high-end graphics card, probably ATI Radeon 4850-70-90 (I know I don't need this much power, oh well).

My monitor budget is up to 16,000 baht.

What models can you recommend for me?

Edited by NewGuy

If you are not involved profesionally in color correction or any other "true color" business i.e. photographer I would go for Acer!

One of my monitors is 24' and I am very satisfied with it. If you are into gaming I am sure a 19' 4:3 ratio would maybe fit better.

Acer you can find between 10-12K

Edited by webfact

got an acer 24" 16:9 lcd monitor (p244wbmd) at the commart about half a year ago... doubles as a tv (hooked it up to a DVD player via HDMI-DVI cable). Really worth the 9K I spent for it :) There are HPs (23.5") under 9K on the market. You'll have to look hard for those with HDMI ports

Was looking earlier this year for a bigger monitor

20-2-2009 at Seer Rangsit a Viewsonic 28" for just over THB 12,000

Link to endless possibilities of future audio-visual! The ViewSonic VX2835wm 28” multimedia LCD display comes with a golden aspect ratio of 16:10, ultra-fast 3ms video response, and proprietary display technology. It is setting the new standards for digital aestheticism. The full 28” screen with high 1920x1200 resolution allows for broader viewing and enhances productivity because it lets you work in two applications side by side without toggling. The ultra-fast 3ms video response time ensures true performance with smooth display for watching movies or playing video games. Combined, these features enable digital HD broadcast-quality full motion video so that you can be one of the first to experience high definition television! VX2835wm also features 3D deinterlacing technology which is able to provide superior picture quality through precision 3D interlacing, color processing and advanced scaling for smoother, sharper full-motion video with incredibly rich color. In addition, VX2835wm provides multifunctional inputs to support a variety of digital content, including VGA, HDMI, composite, S-Video, component interface. The elegantly streamlined design with built-in, high-quality multimedia spakers creates an evolutionary media center. The VX2835wm multimedia LCD displays is the best in audio-visual experience!

I got my Samsung 24" in Panthip, no HDMI no USB 1920x1080 full HD 16x9 for a stunning 7.500 baht. Very satisfied with the bad boy.

If you want usb hub and hdmi you go to 10/12.000 baht

7,500 baht??? WOW - these things really have come down in price, that's unbelievable.

I bought the first affordable 24" Acer exactly 1 year ago for BHT 14,000. It's nice, left-right viewing angle is 170 degrees, but up/down is pretty bad. As far as I know, they never put vertical viewing angle in the tech specs - yet, it's pretty important.

So my recommendation is to go there and take a good look before you buy. Sit in front, move your head up/down/left/right and see if there's discoloration on the top or bottom of the screen.

I'd recommend Samsung because pretty much anything I have bought from them was excellent. And they make LCD panels for lots of other companies, Apple included. Back when I was looking HP was also pretty good, in hindsight probably better than my Acer and for a similar price.

I got my Samsung 24" in Panthip, no HDMI no USB 1920x1080 full HD 16x9 for a stunning 7.500 baht. Very satisfied with the bad boy.

If you want usb hub and hdmi you go to 10/12.000 baht

7,500 baht??? WOW - these things really have come down in price, that's unbelievable.

I bought the first affordable 24" Acer exactly 1 year ago for BHT 14,000. It's nice, left-right viewing angle is 170 degrees, but up/down is pretty bad. As far as I know, they never put vertical viewing angle in the tech specs - yet, it's pretty important.

So my recommendation is to go there and take a good look before you buy. Sit in front, move your head up/down/left/right and see if there's discoloration on the top or bottom of the screen.

I'd recommend Samsung because pretty much anything I have bought from them was excellent. And they make LCD panels for lots of other companies, Apple included. Back when I was looking HP was also pretty good, in hindsight probably better than my Acer and for a similar price.

yeah, 24' was around 14-15K, then it went down to 12K, 10K and now 7.5K but - 26' is rolling in.

A small remark for the testing of the screen. OP poster should pay attention to a "dead pixel test" and ask for it if not run by the sales staff!

Edited by webfact

I want to buy a 24 inch monitor (1920x1080, hdmi) but don't have a good idea of what is available that would suit me.

I don't want a high reflection unit. I don't want a tv tuner and will ignore speakers and web cam, if built in.

The good quality, non-glossy displays are getting difficult to find.

IIRC, the following are good displays but possibly with the glossy, reflective screens:

Samsung T240

Dell 2408WPF (maybe out of price range and difficult to find here.)

I have seen both these models myself,(the Samsung here, the Dell in Malaysia) and subjectively they are both quite good IMO.

Not long ago, Asus apparently released a 26-inch monitor that wasn't too expensive but I haven't seen the display myself.

I have been pretty satisfied with Samsung syncmaster 2333sw as well, can recommend, about 7500thb depending on where you buy, got mine from Fortune town.

Non glossy, picture sharp, with a DVI connection, no HDMI though.

It will be driven by a high-end graphics card, probably ATI Radeon 4850-70-90 (I know I don't need this much power, oh well).

If your budget is so high - buy Samsung T260;its a little cheaper then 16k,but you will get 25.5 inch,no camera,no speakers,full HD,full connectivity.

I bought it last year(it was 12k) and I did not regret.Family is enjoying the view.

But I wanted to buy BenQ that time,I saw then the bargain - BenQ 2400G for 5k only,I am not sure if its available today,"G" stands for gaming and its 23.5 inch.

It is quite old model - 2007.fullHD,HDMI included.

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought a 32 inch Sony flatscreen from Carrefour for 12000 THB. I hook it up to my laptop. It works great.

what do you use for graphics card. i have my laptop hooked up to my 40" sony and the color is a bit soft. I have intel installed now.